• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Own SAC .260, do I need a GAP 6.5CM

REL1203

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2010
Centreville, VA
OK, so I have a 6.5CM Crusader on Order from GAPrecision. I own a Short Action Customs 260 Rem that with Factory Berger 140 Hybrid Match ammo shoots lights out (see attachment of 6shot .15MOA grouping). I own a RPR 308 that I just got and am still searching for its best ammo. I reload, but generally only reload Handgun ammo. I have a very active 4year old that doesnt allow me to reload for precision ammo and constantly go to the range and hunt for the best load. I get to only shoot about once a month (give or take), so factory Match ammo is a must. I have easy access (within 1hr drive) to 1000yards, and plan on making some (5hr trips) out to Thunder Valley to try there further distance. I am now second guessing my need for a GAP in 6.5 since it will be very similar to my SAC. I just sold a precision 300WM since i thought it was just too expensive to shoot (and had a giant bill i needed to pay), so it was just being a self queen.

So, thoughts on owning an awesome 260 Rem, and then another (assumingly) awesome 6.5CM?

Attachments

• image1 (00A).jpeg
    image1 (00A).jpeg
    503.5 KB · Views: 23
That would be very cool to own a GAP in 6.5 CM but based on what your describing for available time it sounds like you should just stick with the awesome .260 Rem.

That's a nice group! You're a really good shooter.

Reactions: REL1203
whats the 6.5 from GAP gonna get you that's different?

with the current market of custom actions, chassis/mini chassis stocks, and prefit barrels i'd have a hard time paying anyone to 'build' a rifle for me versus just buying the parts and assembling myself.

Need? No.

Want, and can afford? Your call.

Personally, I can't justify two similar rifles in similar cartridges, but that's just me. That said, if one of them is set up as a bench gun and the other one as a woods/hiking gun, that would be enough of a difference to justify it *for me*.

You reload .260. Pawn your kid off and get your priorities straight.

this made me LOL more than it should have.. I've tried to pawn off the kid to go shooting more times that I care to admit. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. I started out reloading for it when I got it, went though maybe 200 rounds of varying projectiles and powders, and found a few 1/2moa loads, but than ramdomly bought the Berger 140's off the shelf one day and it shot it amazing (and at around 2800FPS), so at that point, i just stopped reloading for it cause I figured I was gonna get any better at 100yards (and it performs well out to 1000 with them as well) so why waste the time.. I am saving all the Lapua brass they come in for sure though.

With the 6.5, the options for Off the shelf Match ammos is MUCH greater I know...

No - redundancy.

How else can we help you spend that money, a 22 RF trainer or how about a PCP air rifle so you can practice in your own yard??? There's got to be some hole in your collection somewhere.

That's a nice group! You're a really good shooter.

Honestly, the rifle gets 99.99% credit for this, Mark builds them to shoot well. On the 5th shot, i said to myself, i should stop, but i wanted to get one more shot in the group and was nervous as hell that I was gonna blow the grouping but lady luck was on my side that morning. The RSO on duty at the time came over after seeing my grouping and asked he could shoot it once or twice and said he wanted a SAC rifle after putting 2 rounds touching each other through mine.