• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Owning multiple rifles in the same cal?

Wheres-Waldo

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2008
Unknown
I know some people who own 3-4 rifles in .308 or another popular chambering. I always ask myself; if you own 1 accurate rifle in a chambering, what the point of buying more in the same chambering?

I could understand staying with the same caliber for interchangability of reloading components like bullets, neck turning eqipment and neck bushings though.

I own a .223 which hardly ever gets shot anymore, a .308 and a 300WM and would like to maybe invest in a new rifle, particularly a Nemesis Arms rifle, but its only available in .308?

Is there any sense in another .308, or would I be better off with a 300WSM or SAUM?

My applications range from 100 to WAY out paper punching and hunting, but I think I have most of the spectrum covered pretty well.

Looking for some direction here....Thanks

Re: Owning multiple rifles in the same cal?

The only reason I have two of is by chance on the 308s ltr was great price 40-x was beleaved to be historical piece as far as two of I have a 260 cdl custom I do the majority of my hunting with but Im about to build a 1k 260. the RSAUM question I have a 673 in 300 that I use for elk and its a sweet rig, barrel is a mid weight which takes a little heat and stays tight and is a very accurate round.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wheres-Waldo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know some people who own 3-4 rifles in .308 or another popular chambering. I always ask myself; if you own 1 accurate rifle in a chambering, what the point of buying more in the same chambering?</div></div>

GAP Rock vs. Rem Mountain Rifle vs. M1A Bush rifle vs. etc. etc...

All different rifles for significantly different applications. Right tool for the right job kind of thing. It helps if you don't even think of them as being chambered for the same round.

If you already have a rifle in 300WM I wouldn't by the 300WSM. It seems like you have most of your bases covered with the rifles you have. Any thoughts on doing something ultra long range?

Well I dont want something that cost so much to reload I wont want to shoot it. Also, in the ULTRA long range game, a quality rifle is step # 1. We all know a quality 338 Lapua from EDM, AI, GAP is 4-5 K + for rifle alone. TRG seems to be in the middle of a 1-12" to 1-10" conversion....

Maybe down the road when I have more $ to spend....

How much range does a 300 Ultra have on the 300WM??

Sell them all and built a 7mm WSM!!! There is nothing a good 7mm cant do.

I think the caliber is part of the intended use and the build will reflect that as well. I have a pair of .308s but one is mag fed and runs 14pounds. The other one is a lightweight model 7 that tips at under 7 with glass.

At this point in time I could not imagine building a similiar purpose rifle in the same caliber. Im building another heavy for tactical matches but it will be a .243.

I plan on picking up another 308 for my son. Makes reloading easier. That said, I have several duty handguns in the same caliber. Makes for easy ammo caching.

So, ammo compatability would be my reason.

For awhile I has an AR and a 700 .223, an M1A and a .308 Sav 112, and a Garand and an M70 .30-'06. The AR and the M1A have been converted into mortgage payments. The Garand stays with me as long as I have a heartbeat.