• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Oxford University and shooting in the UK

Cpwilly

Online Training Member
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2017
So my family and I will be headed across the pond in a couple months as I begin a course of study at Oxford. Huge and surprising change of direction for my family and I!
While a student there, Im looking at joining the university's rifle team and compete, but I haven't been able to get ahold of anyone affiliated with the club to get info on the details of competitions or how I might be able to travel over with my own rifle(s). I know they shoot small bore and Fullbore, and Ive done some reading on the details of these style of competitions but am really not familiar with all the details and styles. I have only shot/trained for PRS here in the states.
Anyone have any experience with competing in the UK or know anyone who has been affiliated with the rifle club at Oxford?

Thanks!

Once about 25 years ago I went to see a used Anschutz from a Brit who had moved to my city and had been on a University rifle team.

He patiently attempted to dissabuse me of the notion that the dents, gouges and scratches had anything to do with the condition. Because, "I had nothing to do with any of that, that's just how the armorer stores them."

So don't get the idea you will have access to the rifle other than during team events and practice. And if it started out pretty don't expect it to stay that way.

Reactions: Two36 and Huckmeat
So my family and I will be headed across the pond in a couple months as I begin a course of study at Oxford. Huge and surprising change of direction for my family and I!
While a student there, Im looking at joining the university's rifle team and compete, but I haven't been able to get ahold of anyone affiliated with the club to get info on the details of competitions or how I might be able to travel over with my own rifle(s). I know they shoot small bore and Fullbore, and Ive done some reading on the details of these style of competitions but am really not familiar with all the details and styles. I have only shot/trained for PRS here in the states.
Anyone have any experience with competing in the UK or know anyone who has been affiliated with the rifle club at Oxford?

Thanks!
Suggest you make contact with GBNRA. I'm sure they can help direct you to the scholastic end of all rifle comps.

Reactions: FatBoy
I studied at Oxford back in 2008 for a term. Make sure you hit up the Eagle and Child and other pubs in town.

I didn't join a club though, didn't have the time. There was a gal in my group that did join the rowing club rowing club, so I know it's possible.

I'd recommend you try and reach out to the club directly go from there.

Good luck!

Try contacting these groups

Off topic - I did a semester at Oxford. Great experience. Played judo with the club team at the athletic facility. The track is there where bannister ran the first sub 4 minute mile. Those people drink like fish over there.

Make sure you get to London to see some musicals or plays. Your wife will love it. The national museum and war museum are great. And for sure see Scotland.

Reactions: NovaHunter
They compete with other universities at Bisley. I have seen them shooting TR [slings, iron sights and shooting jackets.] I think they also compete in Match Rifle [1000, 1100 and 1200 yards] Try www.ourc.org.uk for an overview.
Good luck

The University will primarily shoot Target Rifle. Slow time precision while trussed up in a BDSM style outfit. If you want to shoot Civilian Service Rifle, (CSR) based on military courses of fire, or Gallery rifle with Lever Actions etc, then speak to the NRA at Bisley. NRA UK

We can't have semi autos, except in 22LR, so are limited to straight pull AR15s/Augs/AKs/Garands and bolt actions etc. But we still have hi cap mags!

Then NRA UK isn't the same style organisation as the US NRA, but they run the National Shooting centre. Which is less than 2 hrs from Oxford.

They can advise you about becoming a member, you can hire firearms there too.

The Imperial meeting runs from the end of June until August, if you make it over in time, head to Bisley and get a feel of what is available.

CSR is the most enjoyable and challenging.

PRS is taking off in the UK, but limited venues.

Silverstone Shooting Centre can help with advice about mini rifle and 22LR PRS comps. They are very helpful and not far from Oxford.

Silverstone Shooting Centre

Good luck and enjoy the UK

The GBPRA is running a small national PRS comp circuit. You can fin then on FB.

The University will primarily shoot Target Rifle. Slow time precision while trussed up in a BDSM style outfit. If you want to shoot Civilian Service Rifle, (CSR) based on military courses of fire, or Gallery rifle with Lever Actions etc, then speak to the NRA at Bisley. NRA UK

We can't have semi autos, except in 22LR, so are limited to straight pull AR15s/Augs/AKs/Garands and bolt actions etc. But we still have hi cap mags!

Then NRA UK isn't the same style organisation as the US NRA, but they run the National Shooting centre. Which is less than 2 hrs from Oxford.

They can advise you about becoming a member, you can hire firearms there too.

The Imperial meeting runs from the end of June until August, if you make it over in time, head to Bisley and get a feel of what is available.

CSR is the most enjoyable and challenging.

PRS is taking off in the UK, but limited venues.
A lot of university clubs are pretty cool, but university tuition is pretty tough. I heard that many students use a service https://samplius.com/free-essay-examples/fast-fashion/ with fast-fassion essay samples that helps with grades.
Silverstone Shooting Centre can help with advice about mini rifle and 22LR PRS comps. They are very helpful and not far from Oxford.

Silverstone Shooting Centre

Good luck and enjoy the UK
Thanks, I had never heard of NRA UK and the Silverstone Shooting Center. I guess I need to read more about them.

Last edited: