• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

P90x vs insanity workout

lessthanfour

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2011
Canada
so basically im thinking of buying one of these workout programs (I cant find a torrent i trust)and im not too sure which one to get. im leaning towards insanity because i like the idea of using nothing but your body and I could use the heavy cardio work. im 17yo 6'5 and 170 pounds, im in alright shape (meaning I dont workout but I can take most things thrown at me because im still fairly phisically active) I used to be in taekwondo (2nd degree blackbelt) and im thinking about getting back into it next year in a program offered in the college I want to go to, so I want to stay lean because speed is everything. I would really like to know everybodys oppinion on the two programs so any help would be much appreciated =] if I do decide to buy ill do this program over the summer and start hitting the gym when school starts up again.

Re: P90x vs insanity workout

Two very different programs. If you only did one, I would reccomend P90X and just do the higher rep variations to keep you lean and train for endurance. P90X has a plyo disc as well that will be great for your speed and explosive muscle movements. To be perfectly honest, I would reccomend that you follow one with the other. But I would go with P90X first not only for the strength training but he gives you constant tips on how to stay safe in your workouts that you can carry through to others.

But to be honest its a little bit of an apple to orange comparison. And don't forget you do need access to a small amount of equipment to use P90, the main thing you can't really go without is a solid pull up bar. Workout bands or a small assortment of dumbells is also needed. Its worth it though. You will do more in 55min than most gym rats do in 2 hrs at the gym. Plus if you never pause every workout is a little bit cardio because of the nonstop movement and short breaks.

Good luck and whatever you pick, stick to it. And don't skimp on the yoga.

My Truck company adopted Insanity. It is a cardio program,vey little strength beyond push ups. If weight loss, endurance/overall conditioning is your goal I don't think you'll do better. You will have to do a strength training program to augment this. I will say that other companys that have trained with us that do the P90X program almost to a man can't finish the Insanity workout. I've done P90 and like it so I'm not sure what the dynamic is causing that I think it familiarity.

At 6'5" and 170 pounds I would assume that your already pretty lean or done have to much muscle mass. Insanity is a cardio/endurance workout which is great for losing bodyfat but doesn't do much in the way of muscle a tivation compared to any sort od resistance training. I'd opt for the P90x if this is something that has to be done at home or if you can't weight train at all.

Do not think that having muscles makes you slow , it's all in how they are trained and your genetics that will result is things like reaction speed and such. I close friend of mine is an instructor for the SWCC unit here , he is 6'1" and about 230lbs and has probably the fastest hands I've ever screwed with. I've taken mRtial arts of some for or another since I was 9 and mysize has never been a downfall because I also train for explosive power as well as speed..

In short whichever one you pick that gets you motivated is the one that will work for you just stick with it and remember the results are not instant so be patient

I'm doing insanity right now. The above comments are correct.

I already have a pullup bar, a 20 pound dumbell, and a yoga mat for the yogax.
I just checked and I can do about 15 or so pullups in a row and about 20 pushups. not the best but just to show I can atleast do a couple lol
Im looking more and more into P90x because pullups are my favorite excercise
if I do decide to go through with this ill put before and after pictures but theres final exams coming up, camping trips, and maybe a trip to ontario for two weeks so ittl be inconsistant

look into some good resistance bands , Acadamy down here had some all the way to 100 lbs , they make a great adition to any tight spaces to workout and they are ALOT cheaper ans WAY WAY easier to store

oh and as of today my sister got a job at the ymca which meant a free pass for a year
laugh.gif
so ill be incorperating that into the routine I pick (on the days im not too sore)

Not to bump in, but I would highly recommend maybe considering a cross fit work out instead of either of these. One of my personal favorites is called the MURPH after Michael Murphy. It was one of his favorite work outs. It incorporates everything from plyometrics to weight training. A lot of spec operators, police officers, and fire fighters are huge on this type of work out.

P90X is intense especially if you are just starting out; as with any new routine. If you have access to a pull up bar you should do really well with the P90X. I am mainly a free weights guy and always hated the idea of video fitness but after my wife got P90X and "forced" me to try it I cannot argue. I will definitely make you work. I incorporate various P90X routines into my free weight routine just for the added cardio. I have lost 20 lbs in 4 months not to mention more strength gain. Was 6' 220lbs, NOW 6' 200lbs of twisted steel and sex appeal!