• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PA ACSS Raptor for 6ARC?

TonySkyline

Private
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2020
Hello all, newish to the forum here. I’ve built a 16” 6ARC AR and topped it with an Athlon Helos 2-12 which was highly recommended online. After shooting it a few times I am not a big fan of not being able to mount a piggyback dot up top due to the large turrets so I am now considering a PA PLXC 1-8 lpvo. Does anyone have experience with the acss raptor reticle bdc with the 6arc? I’ve emailed an online seller and they said I’d be better off with the griffin reticle but I’ve also read online that the raptor will work with 6.5 Grendel and I like the raptor a lot more for what I’m wanting to use it for. Plus I’m wanting more edge to edge clarity than what the Athlon provides which the PLXC supposedly has.

IMG_4641.png

Every BDC reticle is a compromise and the designers best guess at an average trajectory for their intended customers cartridge and velocities. Most of the time when designing a reticle for an LPVO they assume (rightly so) that the user will have it on a mid length gun in 5.56 shooting factory ammo and its ok for that.
It may just happen to work well with an infinite number of other cartridge/barrel length/altitudes/atmospheric conditions but your best chance at knowing that before purchase is to input your numbers into whatever the Strelok equivalent is these days and see how it looks.

I take it that’s an app? (Strelok). I currently don’t have a chronograph but I could try to go off of what the ammo box says as far as fps and drop to get an idea. Any recommendation on an easy to use ballistic calculator app for I phone? A quick google search on strelok looks like it’s dead now

I haven't kept up with what people are using now that Strelok is banned. I still have it but it no longer gets updates. Someone will be along with a suggestion soon enough.

Box listed velocities are very nearly worthless, especially with a 16" barrel. You can search around forums for other people's data, do some extrapolating, do some guessing, and probably be in the ballpark. Or you can true up your velocity by shooting at range and adjusting your theoretical velocity till it lines up with what you are seeing for real world drop data. But the only way to know actual velocity is a chrono.

If you’re going to have to memorize what reticle substension correlates to what real-world distance (and you likely will), you may as well memorize mils. Just my .02. Here is my PLX-C Griffin at 600yds, where I was able to get repeated hits with 69gr 5.56.

If you’re going to have to memorize what reticle substension correlates to what real-world distance (and you likely will), you may as well memorize mils. Just my .02. Here is my PLX-C Griffin at 600yds, where I was able to get repeated hits with 69gr 5.56.

Was that at 8X magnification? Love these reticles

Reactions: Bluedog82