• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Pac-Nor Barrels any good?

wolf6151

Private
Minuteman
May 22, 2011
Pearland, Tx.
A local gun smith / rifle builder will do a barrel replacement and truing of the action for a pretty reasonable price but they use Pac-Nor barrels. I'm familiar with the reputations of other barrel manufacturers but not Pac-Nor. I'm considering having a Remington 700VS in 22-250 rebarreled to 7mm-08 and am questioning the quality of Pac-Nor barrels? Thanks for your opinions or advice.

Re: Pac-Nor Barrels any good?

I haven't used one (just rock creek and obermeyer to this point), but I shoot with guys that do. Never heard an unkind word, nor would I hesitate to try one. I say go for it.

I've three, first one was by chance, second two by choice.
I've owned most all at one point in time, The Pac's are my first choice.
FYI, if your going to have a rebarrel done, <span style="font-weight: bold">No Matter Who The Smith or Machinist Is</span>, you buy/own an keep the reamer an gauge.

Noveske uses PacNor barrels in their AR's. I have an 18inch model that is really accurate. I'm a huge fan and would buy a PacNor again just from my experience with my Noveske. RND Edge rifles also use the PacNor barrels and those rifles are supposed to be pretty accurate.

Good luck!

I've got a Pac Nor on my Service Rifle upper and at just over 3,000 rounds it's still shooting great. When it comes time for a rebarrel which will be soon, I'm going to go with another Pac Nor.

Pac Nor is GTG all the way. First custom build I had done was a barreled action by Pac Nor. They did great work and gave me great service.
I have a couple of barrels from them still and all are very accurate.

Same here. I've had two and they were good. Pac Nor installed them. No problems.

Pac-nor is not talked about around here very much but they are very good barrels. I have one chambered in 14/221 and it shoots. They have blanks in the micro calibers 10, 12, and 14 caliber all the way up to the big ones.

I have never used a Pac-Nor for a rifle barrel, but I use Pac-Nor for many custom revolver re-barrels.
Great customer service.
As accurate as Badger in my experience with handguns.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pac-nor is not talked about around here very much but they are very good barrels. I have one chambered in 14/221 and it shoots. They have blanks in the micro calibers 10, 12, and 14 caliber all the way up to the big ones. </div></div>

A 10 Caliber blank? I have seen the 14's but never knew that sub caliber went that small. Who makes the bullets and dies for them? Todd Kindler perhaps? I am going to look in to this! How awesome would it be to have a surpressed 10 Ackley Hornet or something like that! I live in the Suburbs and need something to keep the rabbits from eating the wifes flowers. I have used a pellet gun in the past, but the spring on that sucker is almost as loud as a 22lr. I think I need another winter project.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rbeckwith</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pac-nor is not talked about around here very much but they are very good barrels. I have one chambered in 14/221 and it shoots. They have blanks in the micro calibers 10, 12, and 14 caliber all the way up to the big ones. </div></div>

A 10 Caliber blank? I have seen the 14's but never knew that sub caliber went that small. Who makes the bullets and dies for them? Todd Kindler perhaps? I am going to look in to this! How awesome would it be to have a surpressed 10 Ackley Hornet or something like that! I live in the Suburbs and need something to keep the rabbits from eating the wifes flowers. I have used a pellet gun in the past, but the spring on that sucker is almost as loud as a 22lr. I think I need another winter project. </div></div> The 14/221 picks up rabbits and literally spins them to pieces with a 12 grain bullet. Bullets are available from several sources. PM me for more details.

FWIW, Nosler uses PacNor barrels on its custom guns and makes 1/2 MOA guarantees on its M48 Custom with their premium ammo. Sound like a pretty good reference. I'm likely to choose PacNor when I rebarrel one of my rifles.

FH

I had one on my 7mm RM. It was a great barrel and from what I have seen and heard Pac Nor makes excellent barrels. Buy with confidence.

I have used them with great luck and AI has used them in the past as a supplier for their rifles.

There's a guy I know that uses one chambered in 30-06 AI and is consistently placeing in the top 5 at the local 600 and 1000yd matches, so seems to work for him.

Thanks for the advice guys, you've eased my worried mind. Now I just need to decide on caliber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolf6151</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A local gun smith / rifle builder will do a barrel replacement and truing of the action for a pretty reasonable price but they use Pac-Nor barrels. I'm familiar with the reputations of other barrel manufacturers but not Pac-Nor. I'm considering having a Remington 700VS in 22-250 rebarreled to 7mm-08 and am questioning the quality of Pac-Nor barrels? Thanks for your opinions or advice.</div></div>

I used thier barrel in y 22-250 listed below. Great barrel! It shoots 1/2 moa and in many cases better

I would reccomend them !

IMO I don't know why you'd want to buy a barrel with pull button rifling when you could buy a cut rifled barrel for about the same price. Bartlien, Kreiger, Obermeyer, and Rock Creek are all cut rifled barrels. Here's a copy paste from bughole's website:

"I stock cut rifled barrels only. I believe it to be a superior and more consistent product from barrel to barrel. Because cut rifled barrels are less prone to stress in the steel, you get flexibility in fluting & re-contouring.

It provides extremely uniform twist rates, and enables a larger differential between bore and groove dimensions not possible with button rifling. Having a .007 - .010 differential can enable a barrel to maintain a longer service life of peak accuracy"

Have been very pleased with my 25-06 Pac Nor (8 twist). Yes, they are button rifled, but they are hand lapped as well.

Great barrels.

Okay guys. Enough of talking about one of the not so best kept secrets in precision barrels.
smile.gif
smile.gif
Their lead times are at 16 weeks and getting worse.
frown.gif
14 weeks without flutes. You know they only run a small ad in Varmint Hunter Magazine. Nobody reads that anyway. Let's try to keep them a secret and try not to make their lead times any longer.
wink.gif
Other people make barrels too yaknow! Just not as many for me.

While we are talking about obscure Oregon companies let's all try and forget you ever heard the name of JGS Precision Tool Mfg. I'm sure their crew wouldn't mind a short day someday.

These companies are all Jewels in the crown of Made in the USA Oregon for shooting sports companies.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KIMO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pac-Nor Sux: 260 Rem, 100 Yards, 5 shots:

Bighorn4.jpg
</div></div>

A friend of mine sent his action to them for true and rebarrel last spring. His rifle now shoots just like yours and all for about $550.