• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Pac-Nor Supermatch?

LoneWolfUSMC

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
So I was talking to a reputable rifle builder today about what I had planned for my 700.

I was thinking about having the 26" barrel setback and re-chambered and shortened to 20" then threaded. After he quoted me the price I then asked about what the same work on a new custom barrel would cost. Turns out it's only about $300 more.

Since I am just a dumb trigger puller I asked what barrels he likes. He mentioned that the most consistent that he has seen and shot are Pac-Nor Supermatch barrels. I have heard of them before but it's not a name I see come up often.

What kind of experience have you guys had with Pac-Nor barrels?

Re: Pac-Nor Supermatch?

Apparently that is the brand John Noveske uses . . . of course he was also a former employee.

LW, they are great barrels. have a couple and have screwed together a couple rifles for buddies with them. Have been very accurate and consistent barrels.

They clean as well as anything I have ever used and shoot pretty darn good too IMO

PacNors are outstanding bbls.

Sounds like you were talking to someone I know....
laugh.gif

I agree I have three now and have had several others they shoot great and clean up great. Customer service is outstanding you will love their barrels. I currently have them in 308 and 260.

Well, I like the fact that I picked up the phone and got an answer to my question right away.

Right now I am looking at a 1:12 3-groove. That seems to be the best option for 168gr FGMM. Now I just have to decide if I want to stick with the Remington Varmint Contour or go with something heavier. I am used to the M40 Contour but I am not sure how much of an advantage it will be over the lighter handling rifle.

I do like the fact that in two days of internet searching I have not found any bad comments about Pac-Nor or their service.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like you were talking to someone I know....
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Yep, and I like the fact that he said before he did any work he wanted to scope the current barrel. He was less interested in selling me work I might not need than he was about getting me what I would be happy with. Ironically one of my supervisors had spoken with him earlier in the week about custom rifles for our SWAT Team. The M70's that the other two guys use are getting to the end of their service life.

I have an ar-10 with a noveske/pacnor barrel that was shooting 2 1/2 - 3inch groups at 500yards last weeeknd, they arent too bad!

LoneWolf,
Let me put it to you this way. For years I have always had the heavier USMC contours or #7s but in the past few years I have went back to the "Sendero" or Remington varmint contours and never looked back.

They handle better and shoot just as well. I flat got tired of lugging those heavy damn rifles up an down hill and dale. I see no advantage to the extra heavy barrels unless your laying there banging away for long periods of time then you won't have a throat for long in your rifle anyway.

I will only be using varmit or close to tapers from now on. I see little benefit to the MTU taper and many draw backs. Pacnor barrels are very good 3grove 7mm barrels are sweet.I have yet to use a 30 cal of theirs but would have no reservations.

Very happy with mine and great to deal with. I had one fly weight barrel that was not performing as expected and they had me ship it back. They put on a new barrel and covered shipping both ways, same rifle went from a little over 1 1/2" at 100yard to averaging between 1/2 and 3/4 moa depending on the loads. Not bad for a rifle that tips the scales a bit under 7lb ready to hunt.

Had nothing but good experiences with PacNor. I have one on a 6.5x284 and another on a custom in 204 Ruger. They fluted, chambered, trued reciever and installed on the 6.5x284. Great work! The 204 was purchased as a blank.

I bought my first a few months back, they were great over the phone and were very helpful. But, the barrel I had installed just would not shoot any better than roughly 3/4 MOA on a trued Remington 700, .22-250 with a 1-8" 3 groove barrel. I did all kinds of load development and just could not get the thing to shoot, after myself and a couple other Gunsmiths bore scoped it, it would have appeared to have some minor machining marks and other flaws.

Now, the barrel is on the way back to them, and they have been very helpful. I'm not posting to say anything bad, quite the opposite. They stand behind their barrels and have been great so far. I would buy again from them. I will let you know what they come up with, and what they deem wrong with the barrel.

I have the 3 grove 12 twist on my Gruning built 308. Shoots great with both 168 SMK and 155 Scenars. This barrel is fast and foul less.

Here's a 3 shot group @ 110 yards

Picture174-2.jpg

Two sets of five shot group, different loading data all ten 168 Grain SMK. Flyer was my mistake
mad.gif

IMGP1990.jpg

5 shot @ 110 yards with 155 grain Scenar

IMGP1895.jpg

Three shot at 535 yards with 155 Scenar on a 15 MPH wind

Picture037.jpg

My 308 shoots at least 1/2 MOA and so does my 300 RUM with Pac Nor Barrels and trued Remington actions, I am looking forward to the 260 they are building for me right now, they have been very reasonable to deal with. I would recommend them.

Not had an "oops" to worry about. Pac Nor barrels are good stuff...

Thanks again for the PM.

I have 2 Pacnors, and just Match grade. They do really good work, and did the chamber/throat exactly to my sample (dummy) cartridge I sent them. Got them prechambered/threaded, and I just skimmed the shoulder in my lathe .010" to get to the right headspace. Just don't try to get them in October--the workers are all out "field testing" in the woods!

6-8weeks for a blank, 10-12 for installs. As someone else commented they tend to have a big following in the hunting crowd and the waits get real long from about August to December. Now would be a good time to jump on them.

Better Order You barrels Befor hunting Season. Ive worked for Pac-Nor for a few years now and It gets pretty busy around this time of year.

I have used most of the big name barrels and pac-nor is as good as any them. My latest,a 5 groove 338 supermatch stopped copper fouling after the second shot and it very accurate and consistent.

I have a Pac-Nor Match on a 6.8mm Upper. I had never heard of them before I talked to my gunsmith. I said, sure go ahead and I will see how it does. I was blown away by how accurate this thing was. This AR is my deer gun so deer watch out come Novermber.
grin.gif

'Wolf,

A couple of years ago, I had Terry Cross put a rifle together for me featuring a M24 countour Krieger. It had a terrible habit of shooting 175 SMK's into one hole. The ONLY reason I sold that rifle was because of the weight. It was cumbersome.

For the foreseeable future, it is varmint/sendero contours for me. You might like a medium palma contour. The asthetics are not great because of the abrupt taper from the chamber area to the rest of the barrel, but with a good bit of the weight toward the receiver, they balance nicely. I believe Zak Smith has this med palma contour on a .260 he raves about.

David