• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Pacific Tool and Gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hundo

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2018
Anyone been having trouble with PTG quality lately? I have had a couple of very respectable Smith's (you would know them) tell me there has been problems with the custom bolts and that bottom metal is so out of tolerance that their inletting programs don't work requiring expensive hand fitting. I was discouraged from supplying them PTG parts and components.
Have heard no negatives what so ever about tooling.

I won't deal with them. Their shipping policies are enough to warrant a pass. It takes them a week or more to get an in stock item in the mail. To me, that's unacceptable.
Yup, I'm spoiled. Amazon has warehouses in my backyard.
I've ordered from JGS and gotten my reamer 2 days after payment received. That's a win in my book.

Anymore I get my reamers from Manson after a few eff-ups from PTG, but I bought a AICS compatible bottom metal and a 2-piece bolt assembly for a Model Seven 16 months ago and they seem to fit together "fine." Some aluminum had to be removed from the BM to fit the factory trigger though. I don't think it would have been an issue on a Rem 700. Otherwise, I do my own inletting, so I make it fit whatever the dimensions are.

I just received a 1 piece remington 700 SA bolt. It is excellent and they shipped it in 6 weeks when they estimated 8-12. I only needed to take ~.015 from the front of the bolt handle to get it to fit and I have much better primary extraction than the factory bolt.

Reactions: Robert Gradous
I would try to avoid them. Last time it took 4 weeks to get a 6.5x47 Go Gauge from them even though when I ordered the gauge it was "in stock"

Reactions: aljones_315
I was looking around to see what was going on there because I took a chance and ordered a PTG bolt from Midway. Needless to say , I'm worried. Here's some employee reviews that I came across that a pretty comical (and sad). Ouch !!

Gold mine find on the employment situation! Lol. It’s going about like I’d expect having dealt with them for a few years now. Always interesting and sad to see a business slowly dying because of mismanagement. With the growth of hobbyist/small business gunsmiths these days, PT&G could be killing it!

I was looking around to see what was going on there because I took a chance and ordered a PTG bolt from Midway. Needless to say , I'm worried. Here's some employee reviews that I came across that a pretty comical (and sad). Ouch !!

solid gold. makes everything perfectly clear with what was suspected of that shit hole for years and years

All this is good to know. I've had no problems with their SA and LA Rem 700 firing pin assemblies I bought through Midway a few years back. I'll have to admit, they were a distinct improvement over factory.

He should look into an ASQ certification. It would make him get his shit together.

Reactions: Howland
Reading the “Indeed” reviews left me not shocked. Sad to see.

I ordered a Labounty bolt fixture from them last month.
First thing I noticed is they now have a "x # in stock" when you are on the page for the item.
They have apparently finally gotten to a real time inventory system.
Shipping wasn't fast, but it did ship in 3 or 4 days and arrived in good shape.
I was very hesitant to order from them, but I'll be damned if they didn't have the best price.

A couple years ago I emailed them about bottom metal compatibility and by the time they responded I had already received my order from Accurate Mag.

Avoid them at all costs. Slowest shipping around and way too expensive for even small things. Finally got a barrel nut I ordered, realized they sent the wrong thread pitch once it was at the gun smith. I returned it months ago and still haven't received a refund. These guys can go suck a fat one.

Latest data point:

43 days from telephone purchase to delivery for a made-to-order 2-piece bolt for a Remington Model Seven. It even seems to have been made to spec and ahead of their quoted 8-12 week lead-time. No BS this time.

Reactions: wb00757
Ordered a .338L reamer and gauges. A bit of issues at the beginning, but they did deliver it ahead of schedule(in the meantime my JGS reamer and gauges came in within days). Gunsmith bailed on the job so I picked up the parts 2 months later to do the chamber myself. Did a preliminary to check things before setting up the lathe and discovered that the pilot on the PTG was .335( a bit snug for a .338 cut rifled barrel :). Fortunately the JGS reamer had the right size pilot so I can at least start the job. My hat is off to PTG. Consistency is important. Consistently good would be better though.

I guess I’m in the minority. I’ve ordered a few reamers and other tooling from them through the years and have been pretty satisfied. Yes, I’ve received someone else’s regrind instead of my new reamer once, but that was quickly resolved. And for the first time, recently I had to send a reamer back because the relief at the leade/bushing junction wasn’t deep enough or had too much of a radius so the bushing was too tight. Sent it back, it was fixed and I had it back a couple weeks later.
I probably don’t order nearly as much as everyone here, so I probably have just been lucky I guess.

i guess ive just been lucky. bought a few fixtures, tools and guages over the last few years.mostly shipped quick once i think it was over a week before the order shipped.
they had a sale on trued remington 700 actions one time and it was in the mail asap, and it was real nice.

Wish I had came across this thread before I placed my order with PTG. Waiting on a reamer for 6.5x47 lapua. They are saying 6-8 weeks before shipping my order.

Wish I had came across this thread before I placed my order with PTG. Waiting on a reamer for 6.5x47 lapua. They are saying 6-8 weeks before shipping my order.
I bet you get what you ordered correctly in that timeline.

I've ordered many custom ground reamers from PTG over the years and although the wait times have always been about 6-8 weeks every single time I have gotten exactly what I ordered.

I've ordered many custom ground reamers from PTG over the years and although the wait times have always been about 6-8 weeks every single time I have gotten exactly what I ordered.
(half jokingly) You need to go buy a lottery ticket.

Reactions: Boltfluter
PTG Sako extractors are also about $10 cheaper than you can find at Brownell's so I order several so I have them on hand when I need them instead of then waiting 3-4 weeks, same goes for their recoil lugs! I've never had a problem with those items.

I have ordered a few things in the past. The price was awesome, no issues with quality, but it was a long wait. I ordered an action from them last year in the first half of August and got it in December. Those indeed reviews are pretty scary to read though, I don’t think that’s a recipe for long term success or quality.

I have ordered a few things in the past. The price was awesome, no issues with quality, but it was a long wait. I ordered an action from them last year in the first half of August and got it in December. Those indeed reviews are pretty scary to read though, I don’t think that’s a recipe for long term success or quality.

It seems that your statement is so true. PTG has had my order for 3 weeks. Just sent me a blue print of the reamer on Friday to look over before goes into production. It will probably take 3 weeks to make it and 3 more weeks to ship it

its definitely hit or miss, but they make A LOT of very cool stuff noone else does and prices it VERY reasonably.

I bought a bolt handle and a few other things for my Savage that were in stock last night. My email confirmation says it can take up to 7 days for in stock items to ship, they are SLOW. BUT, I saved $65 compared to midway’s price. I would love it if they shipped quicker, but they have some great prices and I’ll continue to deal with them. I’ll post again when the shipment arrives.

The take-away lesson here is that if you deal with PTG, you cannot be in a hurry, you have to QC whatever they ship and you should pay with a 3rd party service (CC) so you can get your money back from if (when) the deal turns sour. If you keep all that in mind then PTG is a great resource for common 'smith tooling and parts. Otherwise you're going to be disappointed and upset.

Reactions: dinc
I ordered a stainless remington 700 long action that was blueprinted with a PTG bolt and it arrived at my FFL with surface rust and metal shavings still in the threads. I will never order anything from them again after the poor QC.

It's stainless, rub it with some steel wool and clean out the chips from the threads or better yet, get your 'smith to do it for you. Was it not a good deal or just not pretty enough for you? Do you not intend for there to be some grit applied to the gun in the field? Will it never be exposed to wet environments? Did you reject the FFL transfer as a result, because if you accepted it then it's your fault.

Reactions: CerebralDistortion
It's stainless, rub it with some steel wool and clean out the chips from the threads or better yet, get your 'smith to do it for you. Was it not a good deal or just not pretty enough for you? Do you not intend for there to be some grit applied to the gun in the field? Will it never be exposed to wet environments? Did you reject the FFL transfer as a result, because if you accepted it then it's your fault.

LOL! No offense...but that is bull shit.

When you're scraping the bottom of the bucket are you in much of a position to complain about QC, CS or turn-around? PTG has a decade of bad reviews. Shit service should be no surprise. Caveat emptor.

Reactions: Primus
Well, my order arrived today. That’s 6 days after placing the order which is acceptable to me. But, it looks like I need to return a Savage bolt lift kit. Hopefully that’s not a lost cause but as you stated, buyer beware...

First time dealing with them and things are slow. Just received conformation that my reamer just shipped From PTG. It's been about 7 weeks since I sent the payment .

PTG orders were placed for 4 wildcats awaiting me to approve prints. Payment information given, and I was charged up front. Emailed weekly for prints. Also called weekly for prints. I still don’t have them. Reamers showed up over a 2 week period 7 months after the order. Each with their own inflated shipping charge.

Micrometer measurements indicate the Reamers are just the saami spec reamers for the parent brass. Reamers are marked with the name of the wildcats.

I asked for a refund. I was met with, “Custom orders are non-refundable due to lack of ability for resale.”

I’ve had great service from Manson and JGS. Now I order every other reamer from them. Spreading the wealth amongst the two doing great work for me.

Unfortunately, they are the only game in town for things like Remington 700 bolts. In those cases, I had been waiting for MidwayUSA to have it in stock. Known availability and ability to return if out of spec seemed like a better idea.

Now I figure my time is worth something. Custom actions are cheaper than blueprinting a Remington and buying 2 PTG bolts ( one to through away since it’s out of spec).

I’m in the Kansas City area. GAP and Badger are local to me. I buy from them in person if possible. Service has been excellent. Actions are too.

Placed order with PTG for a finish reamer 6.5 x 47L just received it in the mail. From payment received took 2 weeks to get the print , 6 weeks later the reamer showed up. Guess i got lucky

I had to file a complaint with the bette business bureau after waiting almost 4 months for a refund. Then they tried charging me for restocking fees even though the items never shipped. Lady over the phone made sure i got all my money back. A few of their parts i have received before were out of spec as well.

Handed the reamer over to the smith and he was pleased with the quality. He should be spinning up the barrel this coming week.

Status
Not open for further replies.