• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pacific Tool & Guide...The love keeps coming

milprileb

Private
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2013

Remington 700 bolt handle falls off today​

Today, 04:20 PM

So there I was today, Quantico Range 4, on 1000 yd line, shooting my 700 Remington 3006 precision rifle encased in an Accuracy International chassis , flicking bolt open with two fingers, to extract fired case and bolt handle falls off bolt body. Seems barely a weld done to attach handle to bolt.

At first, I was thinking No More Wheaties for breakfast but I'm going to stop opening bolt after firing with 2 fingers, better do it with one, after all, new bolts ain't cheap. LOL.

This was a pain in the neck moment, looking up and bolt handle between my two fingers. Made in USA or did Remington "out source" that bolt? Will have handle re welded back on, not even going to ask about warranty with Remington, if sent to them, the bolt would be gone six months and I'd lose all this summer and fall shooting.

In this instance time not money is driving factor. Heck with warranty and Remington fix it at their cost, I want to shoot right now so the bucks to fix bolt handle is money well spent.

Get it fixed....use one finger from now on LOL. LOL LOL.

Such a sad note the desperate times and condition of Remington, once a magnificent firearms company.

But wait....late breaking news: this bolt per an expert out of Quantico Shooting Club states is a Pacific Tool & Guide bolt sold to me with a Rem 700 barreled action. Reaching back , I remember, this i s a barreled action PTG bought off the factory floor of Remington when they went bank rupt, then advertised & sold to be as a complete barreled action . But what arrived was a naked bare bolt body and the barreled action. PTG response was unresponsive so with friends help, bolt parts sourced and rifle made operational. I had long put the PTG switcheroo and missing parts in rear view mirror.

Now the wisdom of dealing with PTG is back once again, their bolt fell apart today.

Resolved to weld handle on and turn the page. PTG is what they are, I learned a hard lesson. I got PTG'd......over and over again.

Is there a long term lesson learned here...yes : use one finger when operating a PTG bolt.

Handle came right off...entire stem and ball unit. Snapped off bolt body clean as can be. Only a "dot" of well was ever done to attach this to the bolt body.

Just FYI .... PTG may have it but you may not want it ....I have found them less than trustworthy and definitely even less responsive. I'll get this bolt fixed right and end that PTG drama for good.

Had one of their silver soldered Remington 40X 22lr bolt handle pop right off when the rifle got knocked over with the bolt open. Got it tigged back on by someone else and have not had an issue since, but that silver solder joint did not seem real strong.

A properly silver solidered joint is pretty strong. Some of the bolt handles don't seem to get stuck really well. Others go forever with no troubles.

Reactions: 3850remhep
Replied yesterday. I'm throwing it in here as there's a portion of this that might help others when/if they experience the same thing. (joint failure)

I can knock this out pretty quickly. I still like to have the original barreled action here to ensure I get the PE timing correct. The biggest thing about this part is the length. If the rifle has ever been fussed with up front (blueprinted, faced, or the bolt being messed with) it changes the location of where the handle goes on as it significantly influences the primary extraction. Remington has never been all that good about controlling/holding this dimension either.

Also:

There are a couple of things to be wary of. In many instances, when a handle fails, it "peels" off of the bolt body. If you can imagine your hand running the bolt as this happens, you lift up and pull rearward in a fluid motion. When the joint fails, the handle's narrower "strap" feature on the handle is typically the last part to get torn away from the bolt body. This almost always (99.9%) results in the strap portion becoming twisted as it separates from the brazed joint. Attempting to realign the twisted part is an absolute nightmare. I have had almost zero luck with restoring that.

I have a stash of legacy, New-Old-Stock 40X bolt handles to solve this. These are crown jewels because they have the older (correct) Primary Extraction cam surface. They are also a little more girthy through the handle portion, so adding a tac knob or skeletonizing features is easy.

So, if your friend's handle is a hot mess, we can get him up and running without any drama.

Happy to help.

I have a few T&T jobs to catch up on this am so I snapped some photos to show what's involved with this service.

Parts being sterile is a big deal with this. No traces of oils, solvents, residual blast media, solder, paint, or any other funk can be present. Otherwise the weld quality goes down the tubes and solder will just refuse to adhere.

Setting the timing is pretty easy with the gauges and aids I made a decade ago. A modified pair of needle nose Vice Grips is still the best way to position the handle for me. I wear out a pair every 5 or so years.

I always forget to keep my filler wire under the gas plume so that it cools in an atmosphere. So, I snip the end off back to clean wire. Not sure if it really matters, but that's what I was told to do when TIG welding race car chassis stuff in chromoly. (I play with a drag car)

I zip the strap with no filler as any buildup will make a mess of the bolt function as it drags on the raceway. I stitch that part of the handle under clamp pressure so the solder only has to fill a small gap between the bolt body and handle.

A 2x diopter helps my 52 year old eyeballs with the finer welding stuff. I use a pin vise to hang onto the wire. The stitch weld on the strap is only around .025 to .03 wide.

Last, flux and solder. Just enough heat to let it flow nice. I feed from the front and let it build up. Then concentrate the flame to the back side. When I see it flow rearward and form the silver ring along the back of the bolt handle I know I have 100% adhesion.

Onto the next one...

Attachments

• 20230711_105331.jpg
    20230711_105331.jpg
    526.6 KB · Views: 194
  • 20230711_111140.jpg
    20230711_111140.jpg
    341.5 KB · Views: 191
  • 20230711_111131.jpg
    20230711_111131.jpg
    317.9 KB · Views: 191
  • 20230711_110658.jpg
    20230711_110658.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 192
  • 20230711_110515.jpg
    20230711_110515.jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 190
  • 20230711_110313.jpg
    20230711_110313.jpg
    505.8 KB · Views: 183
  • 20230711_105742.jpg
    20230711_105742.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 182
  • 20230711_105718.jpg
    20230711_105718.jpg
    828.2 KB · Views: 186
  • 20230711_105642.jpg
    20230711_105642.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 190
  • 20230711_105621.jpg
    20230711_105621.jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 193
  • 20230711_105613.jpg
    20230711_105613.jpg
    408 KB · Views: 191
  • 20230711_105532.jpg
    20230711_105532.jpg
    551.6 KB · Views: 185
  • 20230711_105446.jpg
    20230711_105446.jpg
    560.7 KB · Views: 182
  • 20230711_105431.jpg
    20230711_105431.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 176
  • 20230711_105407.jpg
    20230711_105407.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
I do it similarly, with positioning the bolt and the needle nosed vice grip and feeler gauge for front clearence bolt handle rear bridge, and maximum cam effect...but use Brownells silver solder ribbon and flux sandwich. Use the heat stop putty to keep the heat isolated to the rear and a threaded brass heat sink threaded in the bolt where the firing pin assembly goes. Transfer it all to a fixture that clamps it in place. Acetylene torch to slowly heat and the silver flows...stop , cool, & clean up. Makes for a pretty tough bolt handle, with full silver solder contact. Buy the needed stuff at Brownells, even the bolt body and bolts, practice silver brazing a few times and many could do this at home, as I have....even have spare bolts on hand if ya wanted...although the headspace would have to be adjusted.

Remington 700 bolt handle falls off today​

Today, 04:20 PM

So there I was today, Quantico Range 4, on 1000 yd line, shooting my 700 Remington 3006 precision rifle encased in an Accuracy International chassis , flicking bolt open with two fingers, to extract fired case and bolt handle falls off bolt body. Seems barely a weld done to attach handle to bolt.

At first, I was thinking No More Wheaties for breakfast but I'm going to stop opening bolt after firing with 2 fingers, better do it with one, after all, new bolts ain't cheap. LOL.

This was a pain in the neck moment, looking up and bolt handle between my two fingers. Made in USA or did Remington "out source" that bolt? Will have handle re welded back on, not even going to ask about warranty with Remington, if sent to them, the bolt would be gone six months and I'd lose all this summer and fall shooting.

In this instance time not money is driving factor. Heck with warranty and Remington fix it at their cost, I want to shoot right now so the bucks to fix bolt handle is money well spent.

Get it fixed....use one finger from now on LOL. LOL LOL.

Such a sad note the desperate times and condition of Remington, once a magnificent firearms company.

But wait....late breaking news: this bolt per an expert out of Quantico Shooting Club states is a Pacific Tool & Guide bolt sold to me with a Rem 700 barreled action. Reaching back , I remember, this i s a barreled action PTG bought off the factory floor of Remington when they went bank rupt, then advertised & sold to be as a complete barreled action . But what arrived was a naked bare bolt body and the barreled action. PTG response was unresponsive so with friends help, bolt parts sourced and rifle made operational. I had long put the PTG switcheroo and missing parts in rear view mirror.

Now the wisdom of dealing with PTG is back once again, their bolt fell apart today.

Resolved to weld handle on and turn the page. PTG is what they are, I learned a hard lesson. I got PTG'd......over and over again.

Is there a long term lesson learned here...yes : use one finger when operating a PTG bolt.
Look at Midway USA a fair amount of new Remington 700 actions, long actions, short actions , besides the PT& G bolts.

Last edited:
I forget the guys name, there was someone years ago drilling, tapping and adding a machine screw or two on these bolts.

I forget the guys name, there was someone years ago drilling, tapping and adding a machine screw or two on these bolts.
I remember that too, it was ugly...and not a good fix, as you'd have alot of leverage with the bolt handle against two tiny screws to just break them. Especially if stuck hard to open the bolt. Ouality Silver brazing is stronger, with alot more surface area, than the diameter of two tiny screws.

I was shocked to receive my PTG 223 bolt today only 90 days after ordering.
My buddy waited 6 months for his. When his showed up the bolt handle was in the wrong place and had to be fixed by our smith.
This evening I ran the new bolt into my R700 SA and bam it only went in part way. Turns out the back end near the handle was fat by .004. I said to hell with sending it back and ground it to fit. Works as it’s supposed to now. If I didn’t need a coned bolt for a single shot I wouldn’t have bought it from them but no one else makes them.

I would like to thank PT&G for their good service, and fast shipping on a finish chamber reamer I just orded...It was at my door within 6 days of ordering. I have a good amount of their tooling over the yrs, and it has been good quality. Hadn't used them for awhile, with all the complaints on this site, & figured I may have a long wait time,...not so...6 days beat, everyone else on this order, Midway, Brownells, Optics Planet, Arm or Ally, the worst being White Oak Armament over 2.5 months on an instock item, that still is not here but has shipped.
Thanks to PT&G for their quick customer service, I'll have the barrel chambered before the rest of tbe parts arrive.
So, I will continue to use PT&G, ...and hopefully more customers will have a good, or improved experience ordering from them.

• Haha
Reactions: msgriff
Had one of their silver soldered Remington 40X 22lr bolt handle pop right off when the rifle got knocked over with the bolt open. Got it tigged back on by someone else and have not had an issue since, but that silver solder joint did not seem real strong.
I also had the bolt handle fall off of a PT&G Bolt, but my handle fell off of a bare 40-XB action I was dry-firing to adjust a PSS trigger I pinned on the action. After speaking with Ashley (Kiff) at PT&G I had her ship the Bolt to Dave Armstrong ("Dans40X" here on Sniper's Hide) to have him TIG-weld the Handle on for good.

I also had Dan Armstrong TIG-weld the bolt handle on a .300WM M700 bolt, but neither that Bolt or the Action had come from PT&G.

Keith