• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pack for Mammoth 2020

NY700

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 23, 2009
Dallas
So this year I turn 40. Call it a planned midlife crisis but I have set a goal to compete in mammoth next year.

I started with a personal trainer last month and have given myself a year to hit a target fitness goal.

Obviously the fitness piece is what clears the field at mammoth and pack weight is huge.

I need help with selecting a pack and hope to draw on the fields experience. Packs considered at this point.

Eberlestock Gunslinger II gen2
Exo Mountain Gear K3500
Kifaru Nomad2

Obviously weight of pack, stability, ease of use and cost are all factors.

I love the versitilty and build of the Kifaru. But big money.

The new gen 2 gunslinger II shaves some weight vs the earlier versions. It’s the least expensive which frees up money to upgrade to some other lighter weight gear specificly a lighter weight quilt/sleeping bag

The exo mountain k3500 seems like the perfect middle ground between the two. I love the weight of the exo and the clean simple layout and design, but it is significantly more cost than the eberlestock and I feel it has the worst rifle attachment of the bunch.

Thoughts ?

Reactions: rmillemon
You wont be disapointed with the Exo Mountain pack, I've gone through alot of packs for backcountry hunting and my Exo is by far the best I've tested. It will fit your needs perfectly!
Like Frank said stay away from the Eberlestock, not comfortable and super heavy.

Reactions: Rthur and 117D-RTO
Lighter is better,

The Eberlestock packs are super heavy, I gave away all of them.

These are gut check matches, you have to really ramp the training for them. If you think you have to walk 3 miles, you better practice with 6 miles.

I agree, I’m in the gym 5 days a week right now, two days strength training increasing power and flexibility and 3 days doing cardio one of which is with at or near full loadnout weight.

I agree eberlestock is Heavy! I still have a halftrack which is bullet proof but like 9lbs. The new gunslinger II gen two is 6.6lbs. Which is 1/2 to 1lb heavier that the exo mountain. However the exo mountain weight doesn’t include a gun bearer attachment. My thought was if the eberlestock carries in a more stable fashion and the price allows me to swap out some of my other gear to true ultralight with the sleeping gear it may be beneficial.

Where would you put your money as far as a pack goes

When you start looking at sleeping bags, Western Mountaineering is the way to go. Like everything else, get ready for sticker shock, but if you want the best down, which means lighter weight, and a bag cut for you body ( short, tall, fat, skinny etc...) they will have your bag. They have about 20 different models to choose from. I have two of their bags, and if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn’t even blink before ordering another one.

I think 6.5 pounds is a reasonable weight for the pack. You are looking at different load carrying capacities in those packs though...

Gunslinger 2100 ci
Exo 3500 ci
Nomad 1800 ci

Do you know what your loadout is? I'd be surprised if the base nomad 2 is enough room if you are carrying winter gear.

Reactions: Gotlag1789
My partner and I both carried Nomad 2's between the wings goes you rifle against the frame, then a waterproof bag with tent and sleeping bag. Both ran the top lid as well, mine traditional, his new style. No complaints from either of us and we did fine on rucks. The only change I would have made was a different pouch on my hip belt. Kifaru are great packs, been using for 15 years, across marathons, 2x Mammoths, and 2x SACs, plus all the work ups.

My partner and I both carried Nomad 2's between the wings goes you rifle against the frame, then a waterproof bag with tent and sleeping bag. Both ran the top lid as well, mine traditional, his new style. No complaints from either of us and we did fine on rucks. The only change I would have made was a different pouch on my hip belt. Kifaru are great packs, been using for 15 years, across marathons, 2x Mammoths, and 2x SACs, plus all the work ups.

So you used the nomad 2 plused up with a center waterproof bag. Probably 3000 ci when done?

Do you know what your final pack weight was with the add ons (unloaded)
I was drawn to the Kifaru as American made and since it’s a pack in frame style long term the most versitile. Also the most expensive.

Eberlestock always gets hit for its weight. Rightfully so I would say as I do own an orginal halftrack. But it is a complete system. Once you add the lid and dry bag tonsaybthe Kifaru, or the gun bearer and dry bag to the exo mountain the weight differential is marginal but for twice the cost.

Was also wondering if you guys found a big difference between the nomad1 and nomad2

The updates on the nomad 2 seem legit and useful, but I can routinely find nomad1 used for very reasonable prices and am wondering if I would be sacrificing a lot for the $100 or so

Mammoth finisher here. None of those packs are large enough for MSC. If you truly had modern, ultralight gear you could probably just about make it work, but you really don't want a pack that is stuffed to the brim. When you are operating on tight time hacks, a completely stuffed pack is slower to get into and MUCH slower to repack. By having 20% ish extra volume, you don't need to be so particular about how everything gets put in. You can just stuff your shit in quickly, shoulder your pack, and get going. And if the weather forecast takes a dive just before the event and you'll need to carry extra layers and a heavier sleeping bag, you've got the capacity.

Also, I would recommend getting a NON "tactical" pack. About 2/3 of the teams drop out of Tough Guy division every year. Mostly due to the grind. Lighter weight gear makes the grind go easier and tactical packs are unnecessarily heavy as shit. At Mammoth, you're never rucking through thick brush, only open roads, so you actually have a lot of options when it comes to rifle carry options. A quality Osprey/Gregory/etc pack that weighs 3 lbs is (in my humble opinion) a much more practical approach. Or really any pack with side compression straps can carry a rifle nicely. Or you could lay the rifle across the top of your pack and secure it with the lid. That's what I did last year and it worked pretty well (see below - that's from 05:00 the morning of day 2, about 26°F). A dedicated rifle-carrying pack will likely be more stable overall, but I don't think it is worth the 3-4lbs penalty. You could also jury-rig the Hill People Gear Pack Bucket onto your Osprey which may be the best solution yet. I'm playing with that idea while I contemplate entering SAC this year. I'm also intrigued by the "Overload" series of packs from Mystery Ranch, but I think they will be too slow to reinsert the rifle after every stage.

30thqVP.png

Be prepared for mud. It's ferocious.

TbjPUvEl.jpg

Finally, a note on fitness. Too many people prepare for these events by hitting the gym and lifting weights, but that is not a very useful approach. The 2 main physical "challenges" at MSC (and most multi day precision field comps) are the rucking itself, and the grind of being in the field for 3 days, completely self supported. Deadlifts and running on a treadmill don't do jack shit to help you with any of that.

Load up a heavy ass pack and go walking for 8 hours. Bonus points if it's pouring rain. Sleep outside in the rain. Walk for another 8 hours. Eat a cold dinner. Sleep outside again. Then go home. Do that once-twice a month for the next 10 months and you'll be ready for Mammoth. (Edit: Obviously, ramp up to this. Start with a lightweight pack and 4-5 hour hikes, do that for a couple months, add a bit of weight and a distance, etc). Ultimately, you need to learn to be durable, not necessarily strong.

Last edited:
Mammoth finisher here. None of those packs are large enough for MSC. If you truly had modern, ultralight gear you could probably just about make it work, but you really don't want a pack that is stuffed to the brim. When you are operating on tight time hacks, a completely stuffed pack is slower to get into and MUCH slower to repack. By having 20% ish extra volume, you don't need to be so particular about how everything gets put in. You can just stuff your shit in quickly, shoulder your pack, and get going. And if the weather forecast takes a dive just before the event and you'll need to carry extra layers and a heavier sleeping bag, you've got the capacity.

Also, I would recommend getting a NON "tactical" pack. About 2/3 of the teams drop out of Tough Guy division every year. Mostly due to the grind. Lighter weight gear makes the grind go easier and tactical packs are unnecessarily heavy as shit. At Mammoth, you're never rucking through thick brush, only open roads, so you actually have a lot of options when it comes to rifle carry options. A quality Osprey/Gregory/etc pack that weighs 3 lbs is (in my humble opinion) a much more practical approach. Or really any pack with side compression straps can carry a rifle nicely. Or you could lay the rifle across the top of your pack and secure it with the lid. That's what I did last year and it worked pretty well (see below - that's from 05:00 the morning of day 2, about 26°F). A dedicated rifle-carrying pack will likely be more stable overall, but I don't think it is worth the 3-4lbs penalty. You could also jury-rig the Hill People Gear Pack Bucket onto your Osprey which may be the best solution yet. I'm playing with that idea while I contemplate entering SAC this year. I'm also intrigued by the "Overload" series of packs from Mystery Ranch, but I think they will be too slow to reinsert the rifle after every stage.

30thqVPl.png

Be prepared for mud. It's ferocious.

TbjPUvEl.jpg

Finally, a note on fitness. Too many people prepare for these events by hitting the gym and lifting weights, but that is not a very useful approach. The 2 main physical "challenges" at MSC (and most multi day precision field comps) are the rucking itself, and the grind of being in the field for 3 days, completely self supported. Deadlifts and running on a treadmill don't do jack shit to help you with any of that.

Load up a heavy ass pack and go walking for 8 hours. Bonus points if it's pouring rain. Sleep outside in the rain. Walk for another 8 hours. Eat a cold dinner. Sleep outside again. Then go home. Do that once-twice a month for the next 10 months and you'll be ready for Mammoth. (Edit: Obviously, ramp up to this. Start with a lightweight pack and 4-5 hour hikes, do that for a couple months, add a bit of weight and a distance, etc). Ultimately, you need to learn to be durable, not necessarily strong.

I appreciate the info. I currently do have a lot of light weight gear. My sleep system is 4 season and bordering on the ultralight side and most things like my tent, sleep pad and sleeping bag compress to nalgene size territory.

As far as fitness goes. My time strength training in the gym is more focused on core and other stabilizing muscles like hamstrings and hip flexers and feet actually. The owner of the gym my trainer is retired marine with lots of rucking experience. So he is tailoring my worknout accordingly.

I was thinking 3500ci would be enough for the pack ate thinking 4kplus or 5k+??

I’m trying to get this worked out now so that I can maximize my time training and exploring the workouts with the pack itself and practice getting in and out of it at the range

My original thought was a pound or two added to the pack, if it increased stability would save me fatigue since you activate so many additional muscle groups stabilizing an unsteady load and I could potentially save the weight on some of the other gear.

I’m going to be running a Tikka Tac A1 running about 16lbs sonlighter than a lot of other rigs out there.

I have no dillusions of being a top performer or top shooter. I just don’t want to DQ

As a Mammoth 2018 competitor, but not finisher, I can tell you everything people are saying is true. I can't speak to your options, but from the research I put in when I was choosing my pack I can give you some ideas. Material equals weight. That's partly why Eberlestock packs are so heavy. The lighter packs have lighter weight materials, but also fewer pockets, zippers and pouches which cuts down the weight a lot. Modularity might be a bonus for you too. I picked the Kuiu Ultra series of pack and used the 6000 bag for Mammoth and the mid sized bag for training rucks and 1 day matches etc. I would plan on the 6000 cu in range for a pack if you're going to do the tough man division and need the sleep system etc. Others can speak more toward the packing methods and training etc, but that's what I learned about packs for this type of event. Who knows. Maybe I'll see you in 2020.

Reactions: Gotlag1789
I appreciate the info. I currently do have a lot of light weight gear. My sleep system is 4 season and bordering on the ultralight side and most things like my tent, sleep pad and sleeping bag compress to nalgene size territory.

As far as fitness goes. My time strength training in the gym is more focused on core and other stabilizing muscles like hamstrings and hip flexers and feet actually. The owner of the gym my trainer is retired marine with lots of rucking experience. So he is tailoring my worknout accordingly.

I was thinking 3500ci would be enough for the pack ate thinking 4kplus or 5k+??

I’m trying to get this worked out now so that I can maximize my time training and exploring the workouts with the pack itself and practice getting in and out of it at the range

My original thought was a pound or two added to the pack, if it increased stability would save me fatigue since you activate so many additional muscle groups stabilizing an unsteady load and I could potentially save the weight on some of the other gear.

I’m going to be running a Tikka Tac A1 running about 16lbs sonlighter than a lot of other rigs out there.

I have no dillusions of being a top performer or top shooter. I just don’t want to DQ

3500ci -4000ci is about right. Something in the 4500 range would be fine as well, assuming it wasn't too heavy.

If you don't put in the mileage in advance, you're going to regret it at the match. I'll say it again: the gym is a borderline waste of time, assuming we are specifically talking about training for Mammoth. Of course there are plenty of benefits for other parts of your life, but if your training time is limited (by work, family, other interests) and you have to choose one over the other (specifically for Mammoth) then you would be best served by devoting the bulk of your time training by actually rucking. There is no substitute for time on your feet with weight on your back.

So you used the nomad 2 plused up with a center waterproof bag. Probably 3000 ci when done?

More. The lid is 800cu, waterproof bag around 2000, fully expanded. Probably around 5000ish total.

Do you know what your final pack weight was with the add ons (unloaded)
I was drawn to the Kifaru as American made and since it’s a pack in frame style long term the most versitile. Also the most expensive.

Eberlestock always gets hit for its weight. Rightfully so I would say as I do own an orginal halftrack. But it is a complete system. Once you add the lid and dry bag tonsaybthe Kifaru, or the gun bearer and dry bag to the exo mountain the weight differential is marginal but for twice the cost.

Around 45lbs. I reduced weight as much as possible in other areas. 3.5# tents, light clothes, etc. Kifaru is expensive, but quality costs in my opinion. I used anothere kifaru last year (MMR?) But it was too big and was floppy. Adding components allows you to keep stuff tight.

Was also wondering if you guys found a big difference between the nomad1 and nomad2

The updates on the nomad 2 seem legit and useful, but I can routinely find nomad1 used for very reasonable prices and am wondering if I would be sacrificing a lot for the $100 or so

Never owned a 1, but I believe the update was worth it.

I will echo that the fitness portion is important. My partner an I do this for a living. 50ish pounds at 4mph over terrain is a good goal. It's always surprising to see dudes show up and run it without any kind of training; fairly easy to know if you're up to snuff with published speeds and known areas. Cutting weight on non-essentials is important as well; our rifles were probably 4-5# less than others on average, and the weight didn't hurt us.

So this year I turn 40. Call it a planned midlife crisis but I have set a goal to compete in mammoth next year.

I started with a personal trainer last month and have given myself a year to hit a target fitness goal.

Obviously the fitness piece is what clears the field at mammoth and pack weight is huge.

I need help with selecting a pack and hope to draw on the fields experience. Packs considered at this point.

Exo Mountain Gear K3500
Kifaru Nomad2

The new gen 2 gunslinger II shaves some weight vs the earlier versions. It’s the least expensive which frees up money to upgrade to some other lighter weight gear specificly a lighter weight quilt/sleeping bag

The exo mountain k3500 seems like the perfect middle ground between the two. I love the weight of the exo and the clean simple layout and design, but it is significantly more cost than the eberlestock and I feel it has the worst rifle attachment of the bunch.

Thoughts ?
Exo
Haven't done mammoth but carried plenty of weight in the mountains in my 5500, 80 miles or so.
Handles weight very well.
BTW they hold their value very well.
The above advice worked from 7k to 9500 last September.
I started with pack plus 20 and got to where I could do 2k verticle feet then added weight.

R

I have an Eberle Phantom Sniper - it’s well made but heavy. I bought a Kifaru X-ray here in the PX and it’s half the weight and looks at least as well designed in terms of features. I haven’t carried the X-ray yet.

I used a Mystery Ranch Crew Cab at Mammoth, mainly because the frame was so solid and sturdy. I also packed way too much shit, despite years of knowing better. We didn't finish, but it was a different issue.

I tried a few different packs during the work up to the event, and I can confidently say I'm not an Eberlestock fan. They are too small capacity wise, to heavy generally speaking, and getting a gun in and out kind of blows when the pack is loaded all the way up. On top of that they do not carry very well with a rifle in or out of the pack.

I agree with ClangClang that the ideal pack is probably one set up for backpacking, but I'd caveat that with saying make sure it's designed for heavier loads in the 40-50 lb range. Not that you should pack that much gear, but you want a frame set up for it. One of the guys in our squad used an Osprey Exos, which I have and is great for ultralight backpacking. With his Mammoth load out it looked like dental floss cutting into his shoulders and hips (props to him for being able to handle it cause it looked MISERABLE).

The MR Crew Cab is pretty awesome, and maybe too awesome (had almost 80 lbs in it once and the pack could stand more but I couldn't lol). The bucket design used in conjunction with load cells or stuff sacks made organization and getting things loaded/unloaded very fast. It's a touch heavier than I'd want in a true backpacker, but its great for hunting, tac matches, and backpacking when you just need to take a ton of gear and weights out the window.

Oh, and if you can stand it a bivy bag and a UL trap can replace a tent and a fair amount of weight for not a terrible amount of money (vs buying a ultralight tent).

Reactions: Brfussell
Oh, and if you can stand it a bivy bag and a UL trap can replace a tent and a fair amount of weight for not a terrible amount of money (vs buying a ultralight tent).

I’m good on the tent I have a golite 2 man that is super light and uses tracking poles which I plan to bring for the structure. I’ve used it in Michigan winters and so heavy wind storms successfully

Reactions: OzzyO20
I’m good on the tent I have a golite 2 man that is super light and uses tracking poles which I plan to bring for the structure. I’ve used it in Michigan winters and so heavy wind storms successfully
Trekking poles are well worth the weight.

R

I have never done the mammoth match, but I have carried 50lb packs in the mountains for backcountry backpacking. An option that I have not seen mentioned yet is the USMC ILBE GEN2 pack. You can find them online in good condition for less than $200.

The pack was designed by Arc’tryx and made by Propper. It weighs about 6lbs with the pack itself, but you have nice padded shoulder straps, a heavy duty waist belt, and plenty of room inside the pack.

The zippers are heavy duty and the pack is rated to carry 100lbs. I used this pack at Glacier National Park gaining over a couple thousand feet elevation and 10mi of travel in a day. It’s adjustable to fit a wide range of body types including aluminum frame spars you can bend to contour your back.

You pay a weight penalty on the pack, but it holds the weight well, durable, comfortable, and the price allows you to spend more money elsewhere.

The pack has external buckles to attach the assault pack option, but I use them to secure the rifle the back.

I used a Mystery Ranch Komodo Dragon for the one in 2018, which even with carrying a lighter load wasn’t optimal. I definitely recommend something with a good frame (ie: NICE frame or similar). As long as you have a pack with a solid frame, more important than the brand of pack IMO is not to overpack, which is extremely easy to do with a larger pack.

As previously mentioned, some of the time hacks for getting things done are pretty aggressive and so you typically won’t have much time to spend packing/unpacking. Fast access to your equipment is a more important quality than, say, having a dedicated scabbard on the pack and/or better organized but more difficult to access compartments.

I'll be doing Mammoth in 2021 (partner in Afghanistan in 20) and will be using my EXO 3500 and VIAM custom trekking pole shelter. Space wise I think it will be just fine (it's actually quite a bit larger than 3500). I have packed many backcountry hunts with this pack without issue. I think it will certainly fit less food and gear for substantially less time. The only thing I'll be adding over a hunting setup that's additional bulk is a warmer bag, but at the same time I won't have my tipi and Ti stove so it's probably a wash. My food is packed the same (3500 calories at 1.52 lbs). I need to research water a bit better. I don't want to spend a bunch of time finding and pumping water if ground water is frozen. Definitely tagging in to this thread. Good luck! Report back and update when you're done. Especially on your ammo brought and ammo actually fired.

Exo Mountain Gear K3500
Kifaru Nomad2

Thoughts ?
I've heard lots of good things about Exo, but never used them myself. I personally like Kifaru, had a lot of experience with them. Superior customer service, but besides that, their packs are bombproof. I've used them on deployments, hunting trips, backpacking trips, etc. I was able to pack the entire black bear out on my last solo hunt in a single trip. Lots of versatility, and you can really shave down the weight by removing a lot of different accessories, pouches, etc. Everything you need and nothing you don't. And they are the most comfortable packs I've ever worn, and I've worn quite a few through guiding and gear testing for a lot of companies. Kifaru is spendy, and worth every single penny. Hope that helps!

What about some of the Badlands pack systems? I’ve had great experiences with some of their other gear. I’ve been looking at their Sacrifice LS pack for some of the events like Mammoth & the Bushnell Elite Tact Sniper Challenge. It weighs in under 4lbs, highly water resistant, & 3400 cu in. Trying to understand why it wouldn’t be a leading contender. What am I missing?

My GS2 is pretty small. I have a ultra 6000 kuiu which is good and light weight but the scabbard system is meh. I would hate to sling a rifle all that distance. I hate weight around my neck.

I did 12 miles a day in Newfoundland with two 26 year old guides that whipped my ass and the kuiu worked great but the scabbard is my only complaint

My GS2 is pretty small. I have a ultra 6000 kuiu which is good and light weight but the scabbard system is meh. I would hate to sling a rifle all that distance. I hate weight around my neck.

I did 12 miles a day in Newfoundland with two 26 year old guides that whipped my ass and the kuiu worked great but the scabbard is my only complaint

BTW you can use your load-shelf like a scabbard if you don't need the gun at the ready like the elberstocks on the KUIU

How exactly did you have the rifle slung?

Lighter is better,

The Eberlestock packs are super heavy, I gave away all of them.

These are gut check matches, you have to really ramp the training for them. If you think you have to walk 3 miles, you better practice with 6 miles.
Eberlestock is re-engineering their packs. They have a new Gunslinger 2 that is much lighter.

I'm in a very similar boat to many here it seems. I've got an Eberlestock gunrunner that's going to be a big stretch to see if I could get all my gear for 3 days in it. I'm right on the razors edge of whether or not that's going to make it so I've been looking at other packs.

From what I am seeing the gunslinger 2 is an 8# pack on eberlestocks website. The only appeal my gunrunner has is that it starts at 3# and a couple ounces. By the time I add enough pouches to the outside for additional supplies I'm not 100% sure I'll be able to get it done.

Currently in my gunrunner in the main compartment I can fit my MSR Hubba 1 Tent, and Nemo Disco 15 deg bag with stakes. Those two pretty much soak up the entire main body of the pack. The rifle barely fits in the smaller scabbard, but as long as it fits I don't really care. I can easily fit 100 round of ammo in ammo boxes in the top lid with room for a glock mag or two and that's without stripping the ammo out of the boxes. Side saddle bags will be 3 days of food, and extra socks. I plan to add additional pouches to the top lid for rangefinder and addition range gear. I may strap a dry bag to the bottom of the pack outside if I need any additional space. I've thinned out my gear quite a bit to make this day pack work for this event. I know every pouch I add for additional space just adds weight. I'm looking at every option and honestly, by the time I add all the additional pouches I'm at less than a pounds weight savings from having just bought a full size gen 1 gunslinger.

For what it's worth, I'll be turning 40 within a week of this event myself so yahoo for team mid life crisis.

I would vote for the Kifaru.

I have used several higher end packs.
My Kifaru carries the best with heavy weight. Very customizable as well.

What do most guys do to carry their pistol and mags (rifle and pistol)? I normally run a battle belt for field matches (carrying pistol and rifle mags and kestrel on the left and pistol and lrf on the right with a dump pouch in the back) which is fine when running a pack like a 3DAP but doesn't work so well if your pack has a good hip belt. Pouches on your pack's hip belt?

For me, it depends on the match style. I'll use different gear for different competitive scenarios. if the pistol stages are similar to a USPSA type course of fire (high speed) then I will use a double belt system and stow my outer belt with holster in my pack along with the pistol in a zippered pouch and gear up before each stage.

In the event the match structure does not have a safe area at each stage or there will simply be no time to get my belt in order then I will carry a kit bag from Hill People Gear and draw directly from the kit bag, assuming the match allows a chest mounted holster. The kit bags definitely retain some extra body heat which is fine at a winter match like mammoth but during the summer months I try to avoid using it if possible. Ultimately, it's a balancing act and you simply have to weigh the pros and cons of each system to generate the most competitive advantage.

Reactions: dgheriani
What does everyone think about the Mystery Ranch Mountain Ruck or one of their Blackjack packs?

The MR NICE frame is outstanding on the Mountain Ruck. Only problem is with 85 liters of space, overpacking would be very easy to do and without compression (I'm not sure how much it has) you may have an issue underfilling it.

Never used the MLF frame on the blackjack, but if it's close to the NICE pack the Blackjack 50 would be a great choice.

The MR NICE frame is outstanding on the Mountain Ruck. Only problem is with 85 liters of space, overpacking would be very easy to do and without compression (I'm not sure how much it has) you may have an issue underfilling it.

Never used the MLF frame on the blackjack, but if it's close to the NICE pack the Blackjack 50 would be a great choice.

That is a concern I have with the Mountain Ruck, over filling and stability when underfilled.

I'm really leaning towards the Blackjack 50.

Does anyone have a picture of their ruck & loadout? I'm going to work on getting a round 1 rough draft laid out this weekend with mine.

Reactions: Bravo6niner

Exo Mountain Gear K3500
Kifaru Nomad2

Thoughts ?

The lighter the better for this event. Even look at ultra weight packs from the cottage companies ULA, Hyperlite etc... No go on the eberlestock packs, as they do not carry the load as well as other packs, and are just heavy as stated above.

If you choose to compete in the TM division prepare by rucking twice a week at least to get your ankles, and body accustomed to weight.

Every piece of gear has to be multi-functional. I stuffed a mini woobie into a wiebad bag pump pillow, and used it as a pillow, shooting bag, and gear storage bag. We also cut and modified all of our shooting bags to have zippers to remove and add filling as needed.

Reactions: Dgucci
I love ULA packs for hiking, but they aren’t made for these loads. Everything is all good, till you load the ammo for rifle and pistol, and then your guns. I think that their frame system is just too lightweight and would not hold up. Great packs, arguably the best for hiking, just not made to do what we do. I use a GoLite (which went out of business due to poor business mgt), and while I love it and will have it on the AT in four weeks, I wouldn’t even try to load it for Mammoth.