• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pack size

Rhys

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2008
Mesa, AZ
I did a search back over the past 6-8 months of posts, and didn't quite find what I'm looking for. For the matches how large of a pack do you personaly use? I'm looking toward most likely a Kifaru Scout. It's about 1300 cubic inches, and with the Molle on the outside can be added to if needed for items that are used more often. Or, if you son't like a pack what type of setup do you use?

Most of my competitive experience is in benchrest where portability isn't much of an issue. Litteraly load it on a cart and wheel it up to the line.

Re: Pack size

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rhys</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did a search back over the past 6-8 months of posts, and didn't quite find what I'm looking for. For the matches how large of a pack do you personaly use? I'm looking toward most likely a Kifaru Scout. It's about 1300 cubic inches, and with the Molle on the outside can be added to if needed for items that are used more often. Or, if you son't like a pack what type of setup do you use?

Most of my competitive experience is in benchrest where portability isn't much of an issue. Litteraly load it on a cart and wheel it up to the line. </div></div>

Eberlestocks are good, but can get heavy fast. Some run them, then some run a medium sized pack with the rifle slung.

I had an eberlestock operator a few years back as a hunting pack, and found it was just far to large for my needs. I found I was just adding bulky stuff to it to keep everything in place. I don't want to end up in that place again, but don't want to get something too small either.

i am running a 5.11 rush24 and its too big.

extra room = excess gear, more weight, clumsy

get a small basic pack or LBV system and modify to suit your needs

Hoff I ran a scout for a while but it wasn't quite big enough. The problem with the scout is that when you put water and a spotter in there it eats up most of your space. External pockets will help though.

I moved to the marauder and I believe it is the perfect size if you want to carry your rifle slung.

I am currently using the Eberlestock LoDrag and I think this is what I will stay with. I'll be walking with it at Mammoth so we will see.

If you are shooting Mammoth or PMG and want to take a look at them and see how your stuff fits PM me and I'll bring it with me.

+1 on the low drag, recently picked one up, absolutely adore the thing.

C_K

Had a Eberlestock GSII that was too much for comps, and wound up with a cheap LA Police gear $29.99 3 day style pack. It fits my needs for now.

I would be very interested to try the Eberlestock Low Drag if the budget allows it though. Looks like they got the pack more to my preference of layout design.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Hoff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i am running a 5.11 rush24 and its too big.

extra room = excess gear, more weight, clumsy

get a small basic pack or LBV system and modify to suit your needs
</div></div>

On the 5.11 tac stuff. I have the Rush12 and its a nice size for comps. I also have a Gunslinger and its too big and heavy most of the time.

I think the competition style is a crucial factor.

At the sniper challenge at Thunder Valley this year, a small generic backpack with databook, kestrel, ammo, several water bottles and a few cliff bars was plenty adequate.

I'll be hoofing it at Mammoth, and for that I have an Eberlestock GS-II, which I think will tip the scales at ~40lbs all up, including pack and rifle. For that match, I'll need to pack/hump all the food, water and gear I'll need for a full day in the field with NO HELP/SUPPLIES/GEAR from anybody but my partner.

I won't have the GS-II full by any means - but I think humping your rifle and all other kit for miles and miles through hilly terrain requires a comfortable pack that fits you well. I've carried a rifle slung for a mile or two before, and it's terrible. As far as I'm concered, if the match requires you to hoof it, the rifle needs to be integrated into your pack.

I have run a Kifaru E&E and it's perfect. Small enough to not be cumbersome or heavy, roomy enough for most everything you need. (notice I said need, dont take a lot of crap). But I've also used, and am going back to, either a Kifaru tailgunner with shoulder straps or a Grand River Tactical vest. Both can have pockets added via molle and both are very comfortable. Remember the more you haul, the more you have to haul.

Turbo is right. It depends on the type of competition. I have found the LoDrag works for everything from the range to walking a match. I just keep it loaded and its the only thing I have to grab weather it's going to the range for practice or shooting a match. Everything has its spot and I know if I'm forgetting something. Sometimes it would be a little over kill say if you were driving to a stage and you were just grabbing ur gun and ammo but if I could only have one it would be the LoDrag. I imagine the GSII would be about the same.

I use an Eagle AIII MOLLE if it's just rifle shooting I am doing. It's got room for wet weather/snivel gear, snacks, and shooting gear. Depending on the type of match and time of year I even have a little fold up stool that fits in there. It's got room on the outside to lash a tripod to.

If I am dragging all my camera crap too then I use an F-Stop Loka. The Loka is what I carted around at the Oregon Sniper Challenge. I had more weight in camera gear than in shooting gear.

I overpack like a mother, but I am used to it from years carrying a radio, batteries and a weeks worth of water on my back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I just keep it loaded and its the only thing I have to grab weather it's going to the range for practice or shooting a match. Everything has its spot and I know if I'm forgetting something.</div></div>

+1

I have a 5.11 Rush 24 plus a chest rig that carries 2 mags, kestrel, i phone and note gear.

Camelbak MULE, I carry 2 10 round AICS mags and a 5 rounder in the lower pocket loaded, along with a Mildot Master, lens pen, pen and paper, laminated DA chart, head lamp, in the upper pocket is 40 rounds in FGMM plastic carriers, snack, on the lower outside MOLLE is my LRF, and my Diabetic testing and Insulin bag, I fill the bladder half full, on the RH shoulder strap is my Kestrel 4000. On my MOLLE belt I carry 2 10 round AICS mags loaded, 3 pistol mags, my pistol, dump pouch, and a small bag with candy incase I crash and maybe some more ammo. Notice I don't hump any cold\wet weather gear, no spotting scope, no BS that I don't need, in TEXAS(Rifles Only, TacPro, TigerValley) I have been lucky with set up, should I start shooting Steel Safari a bigger pack will be needed.

Most of the matches I will be at are in the Utah, Las Vegas, northern Arizona areas. I know my existing spotting scope will not be used (B&L 20-60x80 Elite. It's just far too large to justify. The pack would need to be good for the matches as well as a 1-2 day pack for running around the hills. I wish I had a place to get my hands on a scout, and an xray or an express just to see how well each would work as far as holding the gear I know I wish to take.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rhys</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most of the matches I will be at are in the Utah, Las Vegas, northern Arizona areas. I know my existing spotting scope will not be used (B&L 20-60x80 Elite. It's just far too large to justify. The pack would need to be good for the matches as well as a 1-2 day pack for running around the hills. I wish I had a place to get my hands on a scout, and an xray or an express just to see how well each would work as far as holding the gear I know I wish to take. </div></div>

You can stop by Kifaru in Denver if you call first. $0.02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">www.kifaru.net

The Express is popular. </div></div>

The Express is very popular with the competitors shooting long range practical field matches in CO/NM/WY. Patrick at Kifaru regularly sponsors the major events and takes time with you individually if you come to the shop.

I have a Kifaru Marauder that I have used for many comps and it works well but is a little large. I plan on augmenting it with an Express.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rhys</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most of the matches I will be at are in the Utah, Las Vegas, northern Arizona areas. I know my existing spotting scope will not be used (B&L 20-60x80 Elite. It's just far too large to justify. The pack would need to be good for the matches as well as a 1-2 day pack for running around the hills. I wish I had a place to get my hands on a scout, and an xray or an express just to see how well each would work as far as holding the gear I know I wish to take. </div></div>

You can stop by Kifaru in Denver if you call first. $0.02 </div></div>

As RJ says, call the shop and set up an appointment, you will not be disappointed.

I agree with several others above on the Eberlestock LoDrag. Seems to fit everything you need inside with the ability to add pouches or lash jackets or whatever to the outside. The pack rides good and has a great harness and padding. My pack weighs in 30-35 lbs with my rifle. Much better system than having to carry with a sling.

There are 6 guys in our bunch that run the Eberlestock Low Drag in matches after trying several other packs, they are great. Contact Ceylon & he will fix you up. Bolt56