• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Packing and Moving

DocRDS

Head Maffs Monkey
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
The Great Beyond
Not sure where this would go, but if one is preparing for a big move, how do you pack up your Army Jerry style cache. It may sound like a dumb question but you just can't throw everything in a box (its too heavy). Even if I have to move the boxes for things like Powder/Ammo (Moving companies won't touch that)
Dealing with:
Bullets
Powder
Primers
Full Ammo
Brass

Not to mention having to put "both" guns in the the car for transport <.< >.>

Any suggestions would be welcome

How far is the move?

You can ship the full/assembled ammo to your new address. You just have to label it correctly.

Primer don't really weight a lot, but just take up a lot of room. Save room in your car for the powder and primers.

The movers can take the bullets and brass.

Reactions: DocRDS
When I moved ~1500 miles, it was done by me, not a moving company. All of my firearm related stuff went on the truck first and everything else in the house went after that. Since the truck I had was not able to go above 65, I had to overnight twice. With all the house contents blocking guns and ammo, if someone did get in, they would have to dump most of the truck to get it. At the new place I just waited until after dark to dump the gun room stuff into the garage and then once the truck was empty, I closed the garage door and then was able to take my time about getting stuff in the house from there.

Even when we had movers doing the heavy lifting for an out of state move, there were numerous items we didn’t want them moving. Those went in a pickup and we drove them ourselves. To the whole “you can’t just pack them in boxes…,” ammo cans are a thing for a reason.

Its a 1000 mile move. I'm planning to do all the powder/ammo/firearms. I am really struggling with things like bulk bullets--it will break any box of size or imma have 200 little boxes of lead (little exaggeration). WHile ammo is heavy it does stack well--again any decent size box is gonna be a PITA to move just to the car.

Does sound like some (more) ammo cans are on order

I moved 1200 miles and towed an eight foot U Haul trailer full of guns, ammo and reloading supplies. Whoever designed their trailers did a great job, they tow very well.

I put the super heavy ammo and bullets in a few old carry on bags. They worked great! Much stronger than any box and they have wheels.

Its a 1000 mile move. I'm planning to do all the powder/ammo/firearms. I am really struggling with things like bulk bullets--it will break any box of size or imma have 200 little boxes of lead (little exaggeration). WHile ammo is heavy it does stack well--again any decent size box is gonna be a PITA to move just to the car.

Does sound like some (more) ammo cans are on order
Www.cleanammocans.com. You can buy them in bulk.

I've had to bug out from wildfires a couple of times. I keep my reloading supplies in these rolling carts that I can load up quickly. 30 and 50 cal cans fit nicely in the bottom cart. They separate to lift in the truck and can handle a lot of weight. Firearms go in a large job box. I also use the MTM ammo cans and stacking trays.
c18fd0c3-87ab-40ad-a001-1333bd342205

I've moved a couple of times with a bunch of stuff. I bought a bunch of U-Haul small book boxes. Cheap, small heavy duty boxes. No you can't fill them to the brim with bulk bullets, but mix it up a bit and they work fine. Plus if someone passing by sees you moving, they're just brown U-Haul boxes.

I moved all my bulk components(not powder or primers obviously) loaded in the grey 35 gallon rubbermaid trash cans. Moving company looked at them and I said "scrap metal, nothing haz" and he sealed the lids shut, put them on a dolly and into the truck they went. Those trash cans are cheap and have many uses after the fact. I bet each one weighed 450+ lbs...

I moved all my powder, primers, and loaded ammo as well as firearms in my Jeep. I was a bomb going down the road. If I had got pulled over I can guarantee I would have been put in handcuffs LOL.

I moved 800 miles twice in 5 years, here is what I did

U-Haul super mover and moved my self
as others stated, all the hardware went in FIRST so everything else from the house was blocking it in

I bought 6 of these
Iris USA, 82 quart Weathertight Storage Box

and put as much as I could in those, heavy things like ammo lined the bottom and then lighter things went on top

I also bought 30 or so of these

and lined the bottoms with ammo, just one box high, then packed all the other random crap from my house on top. This did a great job spreading the weight

You can use cardboard, but I hate cardboard, tried to use as few cardboard boxes as I could, bought all the hard plastic storage bins on sale, have them all stacked inside each other in my basement now waiting my next move.

Just wanted to add...

Where I'm at now I just kinda went fuckit. Load the stuff in. So now most my neighbors call me and ask when I'm going to the range. My FFL is walking distance. And a couple neighbors won't talk to me. So all is well.

• Haha
Reactions: kenny1773
If it were me I would U-Haul them. Just pack the stuff in bubble wrap carefully and they should do fine. As mentioned, most carriers don't want anything like that and if they are aware of it, won't move it. Heck, my sister used a common carrier to move from W, Va, to Ohio and they would not even take loaded ammunition.

I rented a Uhaul and moved my firearms, ammo, powder/primers and other items I didn't trust anyone to touch. I left the day the movers came and the wife stayed back to check/close the house. I had 90K-100K bullets (about half were .45) the company had agreed to move. I'm several hours away when one of the grunts calls and says they cannot legally move them. I tried explaining it wasn't live ammo, but because the boxes were marked "BULLETS," he was adamant they could not move. Took me four phone calls to find someone who understood.