• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Packs: 1 and 2 day match loadouts. What's your preference in a pack?

JR1200W3

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2020
I'm in the throes of starting to give a shit about a pack for matches. I've shot matches since 2007 and after a 6 year break where I lived in Europe I resumed shooting in 2015. I typically shoot two matches a month; NRL22, PRS, and renegade field matches. I've been using the same RRS TVC33, Terrapin & T X, bag, and gear for the last 4 years. Pretty much settled on a loadout. I've been using an Eberlestock Little Brother for these last 4 years and just suffered with it. It's pretty much a large formless sack and everything gets tossed inside. Sometimes I have to put a puff pillow I know I won't use to in the bottom just to absorb the space. In the late winter/ spring, I'll start off wearing a jacket and by the third stage it will have to go in the bottom of the bag so I need that space then. I've tried organizing everything but by the end of the day it's just a large dump pouch that goes on your back. I like that it pancakes open but the front/ shoulder strap side absorbs cactus and burs.

I bought a used pack on the PX that I thought might work just to try some shit out. Used it Saturday and it sucked. Too big, no organization, won't stand up on it's own.

I took a look at a buddy's Eberlestock UpRanger and I really like the fact that it pancakes from the front opposed to the back and I love the removable camera dividers. Finally organization. The side pocket/ wings are obnoxious and the molle strips underneath them are sewn 90* the wrong way imo. The belt is also obnoxiously large. I could see using a belt if you're hanging a comp rifle off OBI sockets, but that's a BFB. I also wonder if they should've made the plastic back panel somewhat flattish to have a work surface instead of heavily textured like it is. One thing I noticed about my buddies loadout in his UpRanger is that once he filled all the dividers up with gadgets and shooting gear there was no space for water, lunch, extra layers, etc. No side pockets for water bottles. It also doesn't make sense to hang that type of pack from a tripod for an improvised work surface while spotting and adding weight to the tripod to prevent tipping in the wind.

I found this camera oriented pack and ordered it last night. It's fills the same organization niche and pancake style as the Eberlestock but it's got some additional key features.

1000004740.png

It has a collapsible roll-top that is waterproof and functions as a wet compartment.
1000004739.png
It has a top storage area above the removable camera case divider insert that could be used for layers, lunch, and whatnot. It could also be opened while hanging under a tripod for PS tablets, timers, and a match booklet to be temporarily dumped while spotting but quickly at hand when glancing down. That upper storage area has a removable liner that separates the removable insert area in the bottom.
1000004741.png
They offer three different sized removable inserts and the inserts have zippered covers so your entire shooting hardware/ equipment loadout can be removed from the pack and taken inside your loading room for instance. You could in theory swap out to the smaller hardware insert when hunting, which would open up more upper storage.
1000004742.png
The pack has a tough, waterproof back that can be hosed off, and a long, flat zippered pouch on the back that can be expanded about 3" outwards for additional storage. The pack is 44L when compressed and the back expansion plus roll top opens it to 60L. Two side pouch's for water bottles or tripod feet.
1000004744.png
So, in my eyes this was the UpRanger with the benefit of additional storage for non-shooting hardware, tripod workspace capable, and not made in China but marketed as an American company.

I looked at the Tallahassee(I know , I'm teasing) from Fehu a sec but didn't like the zippered pouch approach to hard object against Xero/ Binos storage compatibility.

I've got a buddy who started a military backpack company a couple of years ago and he does not make a civilian shooting oriented pack. I'm going to hit him up and socialize the idea of a civilian, precision rifle, match oriented pack.

What features do you like in a shooting pack?

Pancake opening? Front vs back?

Tripod stowage?

External brass bag?

Tripod workspace?

Hardware organization or you just need space and use your own organic bino cases, Amazon hardcase for the Xero type method for hardware co-habitation?

Expansion for 1 day flat range matches vs NRL Hunter flexability?

Belt vs no belt? OBI hangers vs slings vs man handle to the next stage 20 yards away?

Here's my current loadout for pic inspiration. The SIGs are a borrow from a buddy since I sold my Terr X to buy the new Vectronix binos. Of note, I use 100rd ammo boxes vs bullet binders and a brass bag. I find loading rounds up in a binder tedious and when you dump brass in a bag you don't get to count your empties to make sure you're not missing any. I know that's totally preference.

1000004737.jpg

Last edited:
Pancake opening? Front vs back? back & top, w/ ability to add an internal “catch” via fastex towards the top (like an inverted sleeping bag on Mystery Ranch packs)
Tripod stowage? Sides
External brass bag? No, molle points
Tripod workspace? What is this
Expansion for 1 day flat range matches vs NRL Hunter flexability?
Side straps to cinch
Belt vs no belt? OBI hangers vs slings vs man handle to the next stage 20 yards away? Option for OBI, too useful for NRL Hunter

Not sure how to do water bottles, but prefer integrated versus attached. I kind of like the 4 pockets on the MR Coulee, but maybe merge the center 2 into 1 wider

Internal molle

Place for a protected but deployable IFAK would be good too

The problem with this pack is getting it to keep form while loading weight outwards, away from your back

Reactions: JR1200W3
A lot of guys hang their pack off the middle hook underneath the leveling head. They can open the top flap of their pack and set score cards, match books, practice score tablets, pens, and whatnot in the open top of the pack. So they can hands free swivel binos to the next target and then reach down to tap a hit or miss on the tablet. Or prep a dope card. Kind of the same way you would use the Traust water bottle sling. But hanging your pack prevents your tripod from getting blown over

big fan of this. Big backpacks just encourage the carrying of too much crap. I carry everything in your pic plus some stuff.

I don’t know what pancake opening is. I guess I like sausage biscuit with egg opening over pancakes or worse yet, oatmeal.

I don’t have any interest in a waist belt for match use. They are mostly in the way. Schlepping shit a few hundred yards at a time doesn’t require special load distribution unless you have physical disabilities or are carry way too much crap. Several trips around the comp dynamics venue in NM has not changed my mind on that.

The inside of the tilpasse is Velcro so you can stick on modular pouches which is, for example, where I carry a match worth of ammo so I don’t have to carry around the giant alpha brass box...which is cool but also big and bulky. He also makes molle attach mesh bag if you like to put your brass in a special cozy spot. Which I do. But it looks like you know about it already.

OBI on the shoulder strap so you can get the rifle out of your hands when it’s handy to do so. I haven’t dropped my 22# PRS rig doing this yet. For hunter, I can’t think of a handier way, unless you need to “run”.

at around 25 MPH, my tripod blows over whether or not my backpack is hanging from it so I usually don’t do that. I did for a long time but it’s not a convenient workspace (like a tripod caddy type thing from Armageddon gear) and if the wind is blowing hard enough to blow your shit over, a dangling pack just acts like a sail, in my experience (so does the tripod workstation thingy).

My binos live attached to the ball head on my tripod unless I take them off to shoot off of it. If they are in my pack for some reason, they go in the squishy pouch they came in and get dumped in on top of my shooting bag so there is some mass between them and the ground. xero lives in a sunglasses case in one of the zippered pouches along with a timer, kestrel, and a collapsible cleaning Rod.

Water bottles go in the main pouch or maybe in a wand pocket on the side. Collapsed tripod in the other side wand pocket and then clipped to the top of the pack. That’s about the only thing I want more from the tilpasse is a clip/strap high on one side to lash a tripod. If I wasn’t so cheap, I’d by another OBI deal for the tripod.

heres a pic as I have carried at almost every match, one, two, and three day. Add some water and snacks, rain gear, etc and I’m there. A lot of stuff gets worn all day so takes more space in the pack on the way than at the match (ears, eyes, action cover, etc.). At a match where I expect to shoot off the tripod a lot, I ditch the tripod work station but it’s so damn convenient at PRS matches that it lives on there full time lately. Likewise the tripod ball head. it gets switched for an anvil head if I anticipate shooting off the tripod a bunch.

I had a huge heavy eberlestock product with a bunch of pockets and big waist belt and it sucked. Fast and light With big openings so it opens up and reveals its treasures….because pawing around in the bottom of a bucket sucks. This is the way.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    706.2 KB · Views: 73

big fan of this. Big backpacks just encourage the carrying of too much crap. I carry everything in your pic plus some stuff.

I don’t know what pancake opening is. I guess I like sausage biscuit with egg opening over pancakes or worse yet, oatmeal.

I don’t have any interest in a waist belt for match use. They are mostly in the way. Schlepping shit a few hundred yards at a time doesn’t require special load distribution unless you have physical disabilities or are carry way too much crap. Several trips around the comp dynamics venue in NM has not changed my mind on that.

The inside of the tilpasse is Velcro so you can stick on modular pouches which is, for example, where I carry a match worth of ammo so I don’t have to carry around the giant alpha brass box...which is cool but also big and bulky. He also makes molle attach mesh bag if you like to put your brass in a special cozy spot. Which I do. But it looks like you know about it already.

OBI on the shoulder strap so you can get the rifle out of your hands when it’s handy to do so. I haven’t dropped my 22# PRS rig doing this yet. For hunter, I can’t think of a handier way, unless you need to “run”.

at around 25 MPH, my tripod blows over whether or not my backpack is hanging from it so I usually don’t do that. I did for a long time but it’s not a convenient workspace (like a tripod caddy type thing from Armageddon gear) and if the wind is blowing hard enough to blow your shit over, a dangling pack just acts like a sail, in my experience (so does the tripod workstation thingy).

My binos live attached to the ball head on my tripod unless I take them off to shoot off of it. If they are in my pack for some reason, they go in the squishy pouch they came in and get dumped in on top of my shooting bag so there is some mass between them and the ground. xero lives in a sunglasses case in one of the zippered pouches along with a timer, kestrel, and a collapsible cleaning Rod.

Water bottles go in the main pouch or maybe in a wand pocket on the side. Collapsed tripod in the other side wand pocket and then clipped to the top of the pack. That’s about the only thing I want more from the tilpasse is a clip/strap high on one side to lash a tripod. If I wasn’t so cheap, I’d by another OBI deal for the tripod.

heres a pic as I have carried at almost every match, one, two, and three day. Add some water and snacks, rain gear, etc and I’m there. A lot of stuff gets worn all day so takes more space in the pack on the way than at the match (ears, eyes, action cover, etc.). At a match where I expect to shoot off the tripod a lot, I ditch the tripod work station but it’s so damn convenient at PRS matches that it lives on there full time lately. Likewise the tripod ball head. it gets switched for an anvil head if I anticipate shooting off the tripod a bunch.

I had a huge heavy eberlestock product with a bunch of pockets and big waist belt and it sucked. Fast and light With big openings so it opens up and reveals its treasures….because pawing around in the bottom of a bucket sucks. This is the way.
Pancaking is what the TillyPeePee does. Opens flat like a.... pancake. Opens from the back instead of the front.

Agreed on binos and kestrel living on the top of the tripod during the match. It's really just a travel to and from thing.

Also, agree on the 25 mph + wind but even here in Colorado that's a rarity at a match. We were holding 15 to 20mph on Saturday at various angles so the true speed was most definitely higher. It was primarily a tailwind so it was one of the most challenging sustained winds I've shot in. Nothing was 90* full value, it was all switching tailwind with effective wind holds of 12 to 20mph. I caught one fellas tripod with a pack from blowing over but he did have a pretty light pack and massive binos on top. Thin 20 to 25mm legs.

If I had to design a tripod carry I'd do two styles. One a sleeve lined with somewhat hard plastic and reinforced top and bottom edges so two of the three legs could be easily slid down the sleeve. Fast and easy instead of fishing two feet in a tight side pocket and then buckling the top using a side tension strap. The second would be a OBI hangers high up on the side of the pack with a quick release(think RSL on a reserve parachute) on the bottom so the tripod could be taken off while the pack was still on.

I was thinking about a top lid that opened like a three sided flap. Upside down "U". Velcro on the top and underside. Envelope sleeve on one side for a hard plastic clip board and a map case bordered with Velcro. So the clipboard could be pulled out and velcroed to the top for a writing surface or to hold a match book. Likewise with the separate map case that could be stuck to the top of the flap or if opened to the exposed bottom of the flap.

Pancaking is what the TillyPeePee does. Opens flat like a.... pancake. Opens from the back instead of the front.

Agreed on binos and kestrel living on the top of the tripod during the match. It's really just a travel to and from thing.

Also, agree on the 25 mph + wind but even here in Colorado that's a rarity at a match. We were holding 15 to 20mph on Saturday at various angles so the true speed was most definitely higher. It was primarily a tailwind so it was one of the most challenging sustained winds I've shot in. Nothing was 90* full value, it was all switching tailwind with effective wind holds of 12 to 20mph. I caught one fellas tripod with a pack from blowing over but he did have a pretty light pack and massive binos on top. Thin 20 to 25mm legs.

If I had to design a tripod carry I'd do two styles. One a sleeve lined with somewhat hard plastic and reinforced top and bottom edges so two of the three legs could be easily slid down the sleeve. Fast and easy instead of fishing two feet in a tight side pocket and then buckling the top using a side tension strap. The second would be a OBI hangers high up on the side of the pack with a quick release(think RSL on a reserve parachute) on the bottom so the tripod could be taken off while the pack was still on.

I was thinking about a top lid that opened like a three sided flap. Upside down "U". Velcro on the top and underside. Envelope sleeve on one side for a hard plastic clip board and a map case bordered with Velcro. So the clipboard could be pulled out and velcroed to the top for a writing surface or to hold a match book. Likewise with the separate map case that could be stuck to the top of the flap or if opened to the exposed bottom of the flap.
I thought that itty bitty FYL was the best stage of the match. You should shoot the wyco matches in Cheyenne. 35 MPH full value all day long is not uncommon. The only thing that will keep your tripod upright is spreading the legs out into “Cheyenne Mode”.

I might try a piece of PVC secured in a wand pocket such that one collapsed leg of the tripod slides into it. That might be pretty handy and relatively less fiddly.

I like my packs fairly streamlined. As soon as they start getting stays, padding, pockets, straps, belts, buckles, zippers, etc, the weight goes up. For shooting, I guess I do like the pancake opening. Front or back doesn’t matter much to me but I like it all open. Which is odd because for climbing and most backpacking applications, I don’t really want anything other than a top opening.

A top that flipped open “back to front” and created a working space could be cool if the pack was hung from the apex of the tripod.

I thought that itty bitty FYL was the best stage of the match.
I shot a 5 in that stage.

I don't feel like driving to Cheyenne. That shit sucks, lol. I gave two fucks when Nick decided to merge PP into WyCo

Last edited:
I have a eberlestock cherry bomb currently and it’s a little too small and kind of akward for a match bag. Been looking at the hi-speed II to replace
It.

You guys should try those long RRS spikes in the wind. I use them pdog shooting.

If you take the time to get them deep in the ground I think they really improve your odds of your tripod not blowing over.

I have a eberlestock cherry bomb currently and it’s a little too small and kind of akward for a match bag. Been looking at the hi-speed II to replace
It.
My second choice would be the UpRanger for the organization it offers. I see a lot of $350 - 500 bags that are basically just open sacks. Besides perhaps the frame and load carrying, they offer the same capability of a surplus medium ALICE pack.

doubles as a chair
has euro-cache with hipsters
cheaper than a lot

downsides: no opportunity to use a lot of virtual signaling tough-guy acronyms and abbreviations. You’ll have to let your AIAXMC or whatever the fuck speak for your hard-coreness.

Reactions: Herb Stoner
My second choice would be the UpRanger for the organization it offers. I see a lot of $350 - 500 bags that are basically just open sacks. Besides perhaps the frame and load carrying, they offer the same capability of a surplus medium ALICE pack.
I had not even looked at that before. Thanks for that recommendation.

I had a high speed for awhile. Did not like. Too many odd dividers and the zipper orientation meant that when you unzipped a pocket, it flopped open and dumped everything in it. 0/10. Would not recommend.

Reactions: Kadams1563
I use a Kifaru .22 mag, and really like it.

Here is what I like:
- external compression straps and side pockets for objects like a tripod
- hydration pack accomodations
- large top pocket for gear like binos
- internal pockets for organization for small objects such as pens and spare batteries
- Molle attachments
- Frame allows for comfortable carry for heavier gear
- it's about the right size for me, I don't want a large pack
- double zipper, so I can open up the pack in any specific spot along the zipper

Things that could be done better (for your friends benefit):
- make frame internal to the pack, so you don't have to buy pack and frame separately (this is a Kifaru thing, so you can modularize your setup for your specific hunt)
- design internal compartment more specific for PRS/comp use - rather than one giant compartment, think about the average load out and design for that - such as compartments specific for ammo
- multiple exterior pockets for misc gear that someone may want to grab quickly
- waterproof compartment for paper objects, like dope cards and match books
- a compartment specific to objects like rain gear, that you can keep separate from other items

2AA69C35-7191-47C8-8955-0EAF88173E70.jpeg

Gunslinger 2
Fits everything I need for a match and the L frame let’s it stand up so I can pull from it while standing at my tripod spotting. Pretty much the only thing in the main compartment during a match is ammo and the two heavy bags. Water goes in the scabbard and food in the top lid.

Is it the best pack? Who knows. It works for me.

Reactions: R_A_W and 96C
How are people carrying their binos/spotters when a longer hike is required?
Do you put them in you pack, or leave it attached to the tripod?

I bought a used pack on the PX that I thought might work just to try some shit out. Used it Saturday and it sucked. Too big, no organization, won't stand up on it's own.
Received this Tasmanian Tiger Modular "30L" from you yesterday & I immediately agreed. Also, you didn't have the Modular 30L... you had the Modular 45+ haha. It's... muy grande

I'm thinking somewhere in the 25L to 30L is optimal, but I pack fairly light. If it wasn't for water & shedding layers, I could make do with 20L

leave it attached to the tripod?
I've seen a number of guys do this in NRL Hunter, but it's back into the chest harness for me. I glass on a bag on a tripod.

Received this Tasmanian Tiger Modular "30L" from you yesterday & I immediately agreed. Also, you didn't have the Modular 30L... you had the Modular 45+ haha. It's... muy grande
Oh shit dude! I'm sorry! I bought it off someone here as the 30 and never even questioned it!

Haha no worries! I'm going to run it for a bit anyways. Going through the exact same process as you, so I'm more than happy to try stuff out.

• Love
I ended up with this Camera bag. Marketed like a European company, but Chinese as fuck. Shipped directly from Hong Kong, lol. Still, I like it so far. Carries well. Plenty of storage. Tons of options for tripod carry. It didn't come with all the Velcro dividers I'd like. It came with a lot of them but there's one specific size that I'd like to have two more of and they don't seem to sell them in their website. I'll email them and see if I can buy them. In the meantime I'm going to build a compartmentalized organizer for the removable case.

1000004770.jpg

Reactions: R_A_W
How are people carrying their binos/spotters when a longer hike is required?
Do you put them in you pack, or leave it attached to the tripod?
I remove my binos and put in ruck - if I leave them on the tripod balance of load seems way off (top heavy)

I was thinking about a top lid that opened like a three sided flap. Upside down "U". Velcro on the top and underside. Envelope sleeve on one side for a hard plastic clip board and a map case bordered with Velcro.
I posted this in a diff thread. You might like that second pack I posted.

I used a mystery ranch 3 day, I think it’s around 2k cu”. Was pretty good if you hang your bag from your tripod. Other wise I’d use a duffel style like the up ranger. I still have both and use here up ranger way more.