• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Packs/Bags/Backpacks for PRS/Matches/Local Range Use

Supersum1

Private
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2018
NE
What are the packs/bags/backpacks you guys use to move all your stuff around?

Recently got in to long range shooting and I'm finding that my normal range bag just isn't cutting it anymore. I seem to have amassed a fair quantity of items even for a normal trip to the local range. I already seem to have a few rear bags, a data book, ammo, mags, tools, eye/ear pro, etc etc that I don't have a good way to carry. Then I see videos of guys heading to PRS and similar matches with even more stuff that all has to move with them stage to stage. So realize I need a good pack/bag/backpack to haul everything around in, and thus I turn to the Hide for advise, suggestions, and sales pitches.

I like the look of the Eberlestock Gunslinger II, and it seems to be the right size with good features and excellent track record, but I don't want to be too narrow and miss something better. Price is important to me, as I still have a lot of gear I want, but I am willing to step up for something of high value. I'm also not opposed to buying lightly used.

Thanks for any and all responses!

Reactions: Monk Medic
Also been looking at the Mystery Ranch 3 Day Assault, which also seems most excellent.

I use the g1 little brother with the Eberlestock range bag. Then for matches I use a hazard 4 bag for local stuff where you don’t have to bring a lot. I’m looking into the g3 phantom though, that looks like a winner to me along with the gs2 with the new frame.

Hard to go wrong with Mystery Ranch or Kifaru.....look for a bag you really like and then go with the next smaller one!
Eberlestock bags are good but very heavy. I've owned several and will likely never use on again.

Hard to go wrong with Mystery Ranch or Kifaru.....look for a bag you really like and then go with the next smaller one!
Eberlestock bags are good but very heavy. I've owned several and will likely never use on again.

Why do you recommend going smaller? And what size do you recommend? Thanks!

This....you need bag space for ammo, a liter of water, some food, and a blowout kit, small parts kit, lens cloth etc. and light clothing layers.
I'd suggest a dump bag on the outside for brass and an external pouch for binos and rangefinder and spare mags.
2 to 3 liters volume max.

Everyone goes down this path - I think it is a right of passage. You buy a Eberlestock, load it with 100 pounds of crap, and drag it around for a season or two of shooting. Then you realize that you don't use 85% of what you have in there (like that slope doper and mildot master) and then downsize.

Any appropriately sized (for your purpose) Mystery Ranch pack would be a great "cost is no object" aka "buy once, cry once" option. For a lesser price, but still outstanding quality alternative, check out the LBT 3DAP: LBT 1476A if you can wait they generally put them on sale for <= $100.00 3-4 times a year. Next sale should be be Memorial Day +-

Last edited:
Reactions: OG10
Lighting Strikes Twice
Just chuckled when I saw this post, was about to ask the very same thing with the spring training starting up in 2 weeks.

First I tried out the Eberlestock G4 Operator pack, ran that for half a year or so, but it's really too big for a few days on the range. So lately, I've been running a Eberlestock G3 Phantom pack for the last few years, carrying everything from the 0 yard line, back to the 1,000 yard mark, and every spot in between. As fellow user "Superde" just shared, I did the same thing, crammed the pack full, nearly died after carrying it in a 3 day training, and went back and stripped out everything non essential.

Question - AI AXMC Pack?
More later, but first a question. I've been rocking the SIG SSG-3000 in the Eberlestock G3 Phantom pack for some time, fits like a charm. So I tried to fit the new AI AXMC (.338 LM with the 27" barrel) into the G3 pack today, and it was tight, squeaking tight. I have a Eberlestock G4 Operator pack, but not sure the rifle scabbard is any bigger in that.
I currently have the AXMC kit in my Eberlestock (see a trend) Drag Bag, but even with the backpack straps it's awkward to carry. Anyone else using Eberlestock kit to carry around the big AI rifles? Anyone tried the
41 kit?

Ounces Equal Pounds, Pounds Equals Pain
Currently I only carry what I need to make it marginally comfortable and be able to service my weapon if something goes down during the day. If I can't fix it with with what's in my pack, then it requires a hike back to the car. I could ditch a couple of these items if I really wanted to run slick, shooting man, mag, rear bag, but they add little in terms of weight, and lots in terms of comfort, which makes me a more solid and stable shooter.

Load Out
Current load out is Eberlestock G3 pack:
- Camelback H2O bladder, with the brown insulated hose
- Rear shooting bag
- Databook
- Ammo cards (hold ammo)
- 2 mags
- Kestrel 5700
- SIG Kilo 2400
- Eberlestock "Magic Carpet" mat
- Dark Angel Medical D.A.R.K. med kit
- Shooting glasses
- SIG ball cap
- Leatherman tool

IMG_2248.jpg
IMG_1297.jpg

What are the packs/bags/backpacks you guys use to move all your stuff around?

Recently got in to long range shooting and I'm finding that my normal range bag just isn't cutting it anymore. I seem to have amassed a fair quantity of items even for a normal trip to the local range. I already seem to have a few rear bags, a data book, ammo, mags, tools, eye/ear pro, etc etc that I don't have a good way to carry. Then I see videos of guys heading to PRS and similar matches with even more stuff that all has to move with them stage to stage. So realize I need a good pack/bag/backpack to haul everything around in, and thus I turn to the Hide for advise, suggestions, and sales pitches.

I like the look of the Eberlestock Gunslinger II, and it seems to be the right size with good features and excellent track record, but I don't want to be too narrow and miss something better. Price is important to me, as I still have a lot of gear I want, but I am willing to step up for something of high value. I'm also not opposed to buying lightly used.

Thanks for any and all responses!

EB Gunslinger II
EB Drag Bag
5.11 range bag

I have tried to pare things down but finally believe that I am just a hoarder

Reactions: jrassy
Check out the Direct Action Dragon Egg - this is what I went with. It's very well made. Everything you need, nothing you don't, with just enough room to throw in a jacket, rain gear, etc. The laptop compartment is perfect for two tab gear ammo binders. It has a detachable belt and internal pockets for pens, rangefinder, kestrel, etc. I also keep a IFAK, sling, scopeshade, scope cover, binocs, notebook, and some misc small tools in it. If you want to throw a bladder in there it can accommodate that too. I picked up the Tac Reload Pouch - Rifle which attaches to the outside and holds 2 ten round mags for easy access.

In fact, if you're interested in the Pencott Badlands I'll make you a great deal....I love the bag and had it one year. But he pattern I originally wanted wasn't in stock. PM me - good luck on your search
070.jpg

Check out the Direct Action Dragon Egg - this is what I went with. It's very well made. Everything you need, nothing you don't, with just enough room to throw in a jacket, rain gear, etc. The laptop compartment is perfect for two tab gear ammo binders. It has a detachable belt and internal pockets for pens, rangefinder, kestrel, etc. I also keep a IFAK, sling, scopeshade, scope cover, binocs, notebook, and some misc small tools in it. If you want to throw a bladder in there it can accommodate that too. I picked up the Tac Reload Pouch - Rifle which attaches to the outside and holds 2 ten round mags for easy access.

In fact, if you're interested in the Pencott Badlands I'll make you a great deal....I love the bag and had it one year. But he pattern I originally wanted wasn't in stock. PM me - good luck on your search
C_Mack, I appreciate the offer, and it is a great looking bag, but I'm more of a coyote brown or multicam type of guy. Thanks for the suggestion tho!

I have a TAG 3 day pack I bought years ago as a substitute for the pieces of shit we were issued. I don't think they make it anymore, but something that size is about perfect IMO. I've got enough room for all my shooting gear, food + water, rain gear, ammo , etc. It's large enough to use as a support when shooting out of vehicles and other odd positions.

https://www.lapolicegear.com/tag-sentinel-pack.html

C_Mack, I appreciate the offer, and it is a great looking bag, but I'm more of a coyote brown or multicam type of guy. Thanks for the suggestion tho!

Sure thing. It comes in both those colors too. They were out of multicam or I would have gone with that as well. Great bag for PRS!

Tried the Mystery Ranch 3 day Assualt.
Wanted to dig it but found it uncomfortable...ok for a lighter load but nothing heavy.
Good quality pack though - no argument there.
Got the Eberlestick FAC and found it to be super comfortable & very well made too. Waist belt is great for supporting heavier loads.
It’s now my PRS “Go To” backpack & I’m loving it.

I went through a few types of packs to get where I am today. Now, for regular two day matches and other stuff that does not require full packing about all day long, I use the Maxpedition Sitka Gearslinger pack. I still have my Eberlestock G3 Lowdrag , but it only gets used when I really need to pack more gear. The Sitka has plenty of pockets, both internal and external, zipped and ready access, plus plenty of places to hang larger gear on the outside for ready access and then a nice sized pouch on the side, that I use for my 1 Mile Arc and marker pens. Fully packed, it carries all the ammo I need, plus extra bags, tool kit, batteries, backup ear plugs, plastic bags, dump bag, rain gear/jacket, pens, pencils, log book and other miscellaneous things. Each where they should be and not all rattling around in a cavernous hole.

Attachments

• 1522780415986.png
    1522780415986.png
    387.8 KB · Views: 276
Admittedly I’m new in this game, but I have found that the 5.11/24 backpack works perfectly for me. I carry the rifle separately .

Reactions: richthe1
Just bought a used G3 Phantom - been using a LBT 3DAP which is about the same size but the top load of the LBT makes it hard to get to things quickly. Nice pack though. The Phantom looks very clever and it has better storage for my tripod/spotter. Should have it tomorrow - thanks Fenix Mike.

I went the Eberlestock route but had the Vorn packs been available I would’ve gone that way.
Vorn Website
Might still get one...
I believe Frank is running/loving a Vorn pack currently.

I have an Aston House Pack from HPG that is pretty awesome. It’s the only pack I’ve ever had that does a lot of different things really well. It gets kinda busy with all the straps all over the place, but that really allows you to do a lot of different things according to your needs. And it’s not over the top tactical Timmy/mall cop in appearance in my opinion.

Like @superde and @lash pointed out smaller is WAY better for most field matches. Sure you can still use your 1500cu. in. for overnight hunting.

Like others I started, I also started too large and too heavy. Some of these gun packs are up to 9lbs empty! But as an ultralight backpacker, I can’t get over the waste of energy using gear I don’t need or packs that are like carrying extra bricks.

The Maxpedition Sitka Gearslinger that Lash pointed out represents about the best size. It is about 600cu. in., but the best part is, it leaves your firing shoulder free if the stage is best shot with your pack on. The only gripe I have about them is they are really built and the pockets a bit stiff.

Btw it might be worth remember that you will want your PRLF, Kestrel, Mags, bags, tripod and spoter accessible from outside of your bag anyway.

As an example only (not saying I am doing a thing correctly); here is typically what I run.

In a tiny 600ci bag, I can carry and access quickly everything for the days match, reload ammo and food for the second day.

Pens
Arm board/dope cards
Solver (sometimes)
Log (sometimes)
Kestrel
Dope cards
Back up is my watch GPS+ conditions
Map or COF
Lens cleaner
Full Fix it Stix (Core) tools / or Borka
Solid 3 piece SS cleaning Rod (saved several matches, from dropped guns to stuck cases)
Cleaning field supply’s
12ga brush as a case head extractor (again saved several people’s match)
Batteries
Small med kit
Full Rain Gear jacket and pants
Gloves
Electronic and foam hearing pro
Knife
Bipod claws
Flashlight
9mm/holster/mags (if needed)
Days ammo
Water/food

On the front strap:
PLRF
Kestrel

Side pocket
15x mil subtensioned spotter

3 Mag holders
2 tab gear on belt of pack
1 removable Kadex on my belt

Clipped to the back:
Str8 lace
Game changer (if needed)
RRS tripod (if needdd)
Hat

If I am just going to the range I clip a tab gear roll up mat.

All I am suggesting is that you can fit a ton of shit in a tiny bag, have quick access as suggested by @lash and @superde

If your hunting or doing a overnight out of the bag, ya go bigger. For that I run a Kuiu ultra light with load-shelf..

Last edited:
I figured that you would chime in @Diver160651, considering I bought one of your extra Sitkas based on a recommendation you made a few years back. You were right then and are right now too. I've not needed to look for any other option for this use since then.

PRS matches and single day matches I run the Mystery Ranch 3 Day pack unless I'm going to need a tripod or NVDs then I run my Gunslinger 2 or Operator from Eberlestock

Field matches or matches that may have sever swings in weather over the course of the day, I run my Eberlestock packs mentioned above. Wisconsin can start out at 15*F and snow in the morning and finish close to 50*F or 60*F and sunny in the afternoon.

@Diver160651 Great post, really informative! How does the Sitka handle weight? I've read that it can get uncomfortable over 15lb or so since all the weight is just on a shoulder. I guess that would just be reason to keep weight down, minimizing unnecessary gear?

@Diver160651 Great post, really informative! How does the Sitka handle weight? I've read that it can get uncomfortable over 15lb or so since all the weight is just on a shoulder. I guess that would just be reason to keep weight down, minimizing unnecessary gear?
Ya, it is not a mule carrier. But other than the horribly heavy Game Changer it is ready to go. 15lbs is less compfortable, but running 18-20lbs with the same load, harder to shoot if the pack is on and harder on and off is the alternate solution .

For what it is worth, we often all pack to heavy. I can go comfortable for three nights backpacking with a spot of whisky under 20lbs, with rain gear and real tent. Much less if doing a bivi thing and suffering a bit. That means I can go much, much further.. at least 2x a day.

The same works for shooting, carry too much weight and hitting targets gets harder ;)

Just my option.. your millage will very. But I have owned many of the tactical-cool gun slinging packs mentioned in this thread, never ever again..

Reactions: Supersum1
I'm a newbie so take my comment with a grain of salt but I have an old Patagonia climber's bag that opens from the back with a U-shaped zipper. This allows me to drop it with the outside down while the side that faces my back stays clean, and I can access everything all at once rather than trying to dig down from the top. Has the normal webbing and pockets on the outside for tripod, water bottles, etc.

At least until I get a little more experience it's what I'll use. But I'm a big fan of back opening backpacks, keeps me and my gear cleaner (I also have camera backpacks that are this way, F-Stop brand).

Reactions: bleaman225
@Diver160651 whats in the front of your top pouch of your pack?

Note sure exactly what you mean.

-The red reflective MSR cord peaking out of the pouch, is the lanard for the Kestrel so I can find it at night
- the thing on two beaners is the OGC heavy ass bag
- the other beaner far left in font of the pocket is the Str8 Lace (super light) rear bag
- the thing in the pouch is a 15x 50mm stopper with mil ret.
mags are on the left -- I am shooting left
PRLF is on the front strap - also were I move the spotter to if needed

I'm liking the idea of all the pockets and the ease/speed of the single strap on the Sitka. Does it retain any shape or firmness if it isn't completely full? I.E, Will it work well for a tall rear bag or body support if it isn't completely full?

Also, I usually have a tripod/spotter with me in addition to the rifle, so the idea of a bag like the Eberlestock LoDrag ii with a scabbord is appealing. How else could I carry both of them with the Sitka?

As I remember you should be able to strap the tripod to the Sitka. You might look into whether you could make the Kifaru gun bearer work.
Kifaru Gun Bearer
Like I said about check out the Vorn Packs. Specifically the Linx.

I decided after a little more testing and research to go back to using my Mystery Ranch 3 DAPs exclusively. They seem to carry better, are a little more adaptable and are easier to get kit into and out of between stages.

I have two Mystery Ranch packs and if you want something well built, and will last, you won't be disappointed.

Man, I am running just a cheap tactical backpack from Big 5 sporting goods. Its true though, I carry way too much stuff. I need to get just allen keys on my rifle and pare down the carried tools and extra stuff.

I am gonna run a smaller bag next day match.

I have had a couple pacs and the gunslinger 2 was ok there was 2 things that i really did not care for 1 being if you had the pack laying flat at a match and opened the upper pocket everything would be on the ground, 2 in order to get into the main pack you had to open the straps that go from the upper flap to the bottom of the bag. That being said i just got a FAC Track and if your not looking for a scabbard that thing is amazing has pockets to keep everything organized at a match and more than enough space for whats needed!

Something to remember, some of the matches I've been to you'll be back at the truck more than just lunch.
This negates hauling a full days anything.

R

I started with a gunslinger 2. Too big and heavy. Traded it for a lo drag. Ran it last match and it’s still too big and heavy. Just moved everything over to my tad gear backpack with a few pouches added on the outside. Plenty of room for extras when needed. Much lighter and easy to carry. Tons of molle for adding stuff if needed

Sorry to bring this back up but it only makes sense to keep it going instead of starting a new thread just on one bag. Anyhoo for those with a Kifaru Antero, does it have enough room inside for a Game Changer bag? Hard to tell how much it can expand. Thanks

View attachment 6890266

I’ll add a +2 for this bag as well I was in the market a few months ago for a new bag and one of my buddies had one and I seen it and liked it from the start. Very well made bag, plenty of places to clip bags on the outside, somewhat rugged frame to keep from colapsing on you, plenty of room for everything needed for a 2 day PRS match, not to big so you don’t over pack it. Mine is in black and would definitely recommend it found it on eBay for $100 I think new they are around $150. Let me know if you want any more pictures of the insides of it.

Reactions: BIRDHUNTER
I was never a big fan of the eberlestock stuff

Scabbard takes up too much space. Bags end up being heavy.

A simple 5.11 backpack worked great for me. You don’t have to spend a ton.

Mystery ranch makes some fine bags as well

I was never a big fan of the eberlestock stuff

Scabbard takes up too much space. Bags end up being heavy.

A simple 5.11 backpack worked great for me. You don’t have to spend a ton.

Mystery ranch makes some fine bags as well

Love my mystery ranch bags. Wish I could find a better way to attach my rifle to the bag though.

Reactions: MysizeisMAGNUM
I despise tactical looking gear, as it does not fit my roll. I am always striving to be low key. Could anyone share images of their loaded packs with tripod?

I landed on the K2 titanium-framed Exo Mountain Gear 2000 with in Multi Cam with weapon carrier specifically for shooting, then slip on the 3500 bag for back country hunting. I sold all the others. It's an investment, but I try to buy equipment one time and have serve multiple purposes. Best carrying, super lightweight, lots of accessories can be added.