• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Paddlefish Snagging

Bloody_Tailgate

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2008
Sioux Falls, SD
Well, I drew a paddlefish tag this year and finally had a chance to get out on Friday.

I'm writing this as I'm cooking some on the grill...

Some pictures

Just getting started
374024_10151198175029840_1271050536_n.jpg

Starting to warm up...
539521_10151198175509840_1557719764_n.jpg

Now my monster!!!
308000_10151198176304840_136897553_n.jpg

282337_10151198176084840_1633039863_n.jpg

That's a 70+ pound fighting machine. Took 20 minutes and 400yds chasing it down river to get her in. Wouldn't you know the damn thing measured 1/2" too short so I had to throw her back.

Anyone else get out this year?

Re: Paddlefish Snagging

1/2 inch too short and threw it back?? I don't think so. I'd have the fillet knife out and getting the grease hot!

Nice catch!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Whoshotya</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1/2 inch too short and threw it back?? I don't think so. I'd have the fillet knife out and getting the grease hot!

Nice catch!! </div></div>

I can't say the thought didn't cross my mind...but an $800 fine and loss of license is a fairly good deterrent. Plus, as soon an you tag out you're done fishing and the other guys I was with hadn't caught their fish yet.

you did the right thing by letting her go, I am sure it wasn't easy. Now you got a chance to catch a bigger one.
thanx for the pics and good fishing.

Being a student in yankton, its easy to tell paddlefish season is a big deal down here. Those are some crazy huge fish.

I just somehow knew when I saw this thread that it was gonna be from gavins pt dam!

Nice catch!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FN in MT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How is SNAGGING fishing?? </div></div>

So, anything short of noodling is not real fishing, huh?

Noodling/grabbling/handfishing

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FN in MT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How is SNAGGING fishing?? </div></div>

How else are paddle fish ever caught. They snag them the same way in mt on the yellowstone

They are illegal to keep down here in Louisiana as we dont have many every now and then ill see one caught in a net or on a trout or jug line.