• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pain while rucking

NY700

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 23, 2009
Dallas
Ok guys hoping the collective knowledge can help me.

I’m going to describe this the best I can. A couple months ago I started rucking trying to prep myself for mammoth 2020. My current packnweight is 35-55lbs depending on the day.

Within 5 minutes I am experience severe pain at the top of my foot extending up maybe 2-3 inches up my shin.

It is NOT shin splints. I’ve tried a few different hiking boots and a couple different pairs of athletic footware.

The pain completely dissipates witching 5-10 minutes of stopping.

Cardio I’m doing fine. Back, leg shoulder pain minimal. But this foot/shin pain is BAD like take my breath away bad

Look for tips to alleviate or possible causes. Technique or equipment changes that may help?

Make sure your boots are laced up evenly, and not too tight. I've experienced the same thing when some boot laces stay tighter in a concentrated area, and comfortably looser other area's.

Reactions: NY700
Ok guys hoping the collective knowledge can help me.

I’m going to describe this the best I can. A couple months ago I started rucking trying to prep myself for mammoth 2020. My current packnweight is 35-55lbs depending on the day.

Within 5 minutes I am experience severe pain at the top of my foot extending up maybe 2-3 inches up my shin.

It is NOT shin splints. I’ve tried a few different hiking boots and a couple different pairs of athletic footware.

The pain completely dissipates witching 5-10 minutes of stopping.

Cardio I’m doing fine. Back, leg shoulder pain minimal. But this foot/shin pain is BAD like take my breath away bad

Look for tips to alleviate or possible causes. Technique or equipment changes that may help?
I skip the lace on my boots that’s right where your foot rotated on top. My feet are just sensitive there. I don’t have a picture as I’m out of town but doing this eliminates any and all discomfort.

I skip the lace on my boots that’s right where your foot rotated on top. My feet are just sensitive there. I don’t have a picture as I’m out of town but doing this eliminates any and all discomfort.

Exactly how I wore my boots my whole time in for the same reason

I am also severely flat footed and experienced a similar pain in my left foot when I first joined the army obviously had to get a waiver to get in. With that said I am not a doctor so take my experience for what it is..advice over the internet.

Break your lace patter like @TacticalDillhole said right at the flexing point on the top of your shoe/ankle. Also I would get a slight arch support in your boots. Do not use a normal arch support for a normal footed person it will be too aggressive if you are flat footed.

BTW it is a type of shin splint you are experiencing. If you were athletic most of your life you probably developed the muscles to compensate for your foots lack of dorsal flexion but under a weighted load the stress is more than likely targeting another band of shin muscles that your body does not normally flex.

I sucked it up with insoles and after several weeks of airborne shuffling I was good to go.

Reactions: sinister
So right where it turns up into your shin your just skipping that lace whole?

Yes instead of crossing over like you normally would, send the laces straight up to the next eyelet then resume overlapping.

Reactions: _Windrider_
There is also a method of lacing that adds support. It’s used in mountaineering and carrying heavy loads and avoiding blisters. It’s hard to describe but here is a video on the method. I’ve used this technique many times. But at the top of the boot where runs it straight up is what husky and I were referring to at the bend of your foot.

Reactions: Huskydriver
And this is why I love this forum. A true collective of knowledge.

Tomorrow is supposed to be cold rainy nasty... sounds like a perfect day to test. Thanks gents!

Reactions: Huskydriver
This used to happen to me, usually from overdoing it. I know of other guys that had the same thing. If I pushed on, I'd get stress fractures. I was really good at road marches and on those timed ones we used 45lbs., but in the field I commonly had well over 100, sometimes near 200lbs.

I think it just comes from (pronation?) when your foot rolls from heel to instep as you foot is lifting the weight. May just take time to build it up. For me it's go away mostly too, but if I overdid it a lot that pain would stay with me for a week or so and I've even had to get profiles to wear running shoes due to it a few times.

You can seriously fuck yourself up with a ruck if not careful. I fucked up my back and knees which led to my feet so now I'm half crippled and have two more surgeries this year --again. Hopefully these will be the last and I'll be able to walk/hike again. Saying my knee doesn't go next!

I'm not a doctor though so you may wanna ask one. I think there's an ortho on here actually. Can't recall his handle.

Medical professional here. Sounds like you might already have a stress fracture. You should probably consult a medical professional in person who can use various diagnostic/imaging tools to give you a proper diagnosis. Everything else is nearly useless conjecture.

Pro tip: The odds of this being fixed by changing your lacing pattern on your boots are about zero. If the pain is as bad as you describe, there is something internal going on with your foot/leg.

Agree it is almost certainly a stress fracture (shin splint) forming. They can be in foot bones, ankle bones, fibula, etc. not just the front (shin) of the tibia.

Advice on lacing is good. Most lacing you probably learned is crap. The extra holes in running shoes especially, are there for a reason.

It may be that the whole concept of heavy support footwear is bad. I had to ditch that and go zero rise stuff. Hard to find boots like that, but either way, for working out your body if on non-ankle-breaking ground, start with shoes that don't give pain.

Go slow. Standard for running is to not increase mileage more than 10% per week. When starting people out, or restarting after long injuries, the first movement is 100 yards (m). That's it. That's your run. Two days from now, you can do another 100 yards. I'd do similar for rucking from zero. 20#, and like 1/2 mile. Sloooooowly build up.

Avoid flat surfaces. Not the hardness of pavement that's an issue, but the flatness. Think core training, strengthen the little stabilizer muscles. Similar concept here. Try to walk to the side of the trail (or in the grass at the edge of people's yards, etc). It will help strengthen the whole range of leg/foot/ankle muscles and should help alleviate this issue.

If it doesn't work out, then try to find a good personal trainer, and if not then see about getting a physical therapy consult instead. They can see your stride, offer specific exercises or other corrective actions better than words on the internet.

Reactions: Austinjunks
@shoobe01 is on point, start slow and work up. I did Mammoth 19 and built up rucking over 6 months. It wasn't until about 3 weeks before that I went to full weight. Just start with your pack and a hydration bladder at first. And if you feel pain something is wrong, stop and reevaluate.

During a train up for a long trail race, I inflamed the tendon running down the front of the ankle/foot there by tieing shoes too tight. I took a few days off, lots of vitamin I (ibuprofen), and changed how I laced the shoes over the area.

So just for background/context. I started training the first of December. My workout right now is 2 days a week for an hour a day with a personal trainer. No dedicated weight lifting. All core strength and body weight type exercises with kettle bell and and Indian clubs as well

I then do two days a week in the gym focused more on cardio. Treadmill elliptical and rowing machine.

On the weekends I’ve been doing 1 day “heavy” usually 35# and doing a couple miles. And one day no weight doing a couple miles.

I don’t think it’s stress fractures because nothing else causes the pain. Running jumping playing basketball with the kids, rollerblading with the kids. None of the stuff In the gym doing any CrossFit type stuff. But walking on the treadmill, incline is worse and rucking kills. But almost immediately dissipates when I stop

It would be an unusual presentation of a tibial stress fracture based on your current symptoms. A stress fracture should elicit pain when you are performing jumping, running, and/or CrossFit type activity. Your exercise program appears pretty intense and if you were not conditioned prior to, flat footed, and insufficient rest/recovery you will set yourself up for an overuse injury. Stress fracture, “shin splints”, overuse tendinopathy. The anterior compartment of your calf contains multiple muscles and you should see a medical professional for a true differential diagnosis. Without someone seeing and placing their hands on you combined with imaging as needed, we are all just pissing in the wind.

I also do this...helps me a lot. I ruck 4-5 times a week with about 45lb ruck weight. I used to get some odd pains too, nothing that was as painful as what your describing. Lacing my boots differently did help, that and spending some extra cash on a good pair of boots lol.

I also do this...helps me a lot. I ruck 4-5 times a week with about 45lb ruck weight. I used to get some odd pains too, nothing that was as painful as what your describing. Lacing my boots differently did help, that and spending some extra cash on a good pair of boots lol.
Lowa is my go to brand these days

It's an overuse thing. You're actively lifting your toes when you walk to clear your foot. That's putting the stress on the muscles in the front of your leg. That's why inclines hurt so much. My guess is, without seeing you ruck, that your pack is ill fitting and causing you to lean forward. Hence, you lift your toes to clear your feet. Next time it starts, try walking backwards and see if that get's rid of it.

So I changed up a couple things. First i laced up my boots as discussed and I also tried a new pack a kuiu 5200

I used a 40lb salt bag for weight. It was much better. The pain was not nearly as severe. I wasn’t looking around for a hatchet to lop off my feet this go around so I’m going to call that a big win!

My boots however were too lose and I was getting heal slip which on a longer March I think will be an issue.

The pack was good. There is still some tweaking on set up, I think i need to shorten up the torso length.

CEC3180F-4AD2-424B-A2E6-C0B94744158F.jpeg
F1466E0A-A107-4D38-8B44-972AB33FB77D.jpeg
A9F1916F-9C2E-4475-A473-ABCA7589FA7C.jpeg
64143E39-A819-4839-B4E8-37F1EB0E3E9E.jpeg

So I changed up a couple things. First i laced up my boots as discussed and I also tried a new pack a kuiu 5200

I used a 40lb salt bag for weight. It was much better. The pain was not nearly as severe. I wasn’t looking around for a hatchet to lop off my feet this go around so I’m going to call that a big win!

My boots however were too lose and I was getting heal slip which on a longer March I think will be an issue.

The pack was good. There is still some tweaking on set up, I think i need to shorten up the torso length.

View attachment 7035842View attachment 7035843View attachment 7035844View attachment 7035845
So to prevent heel slip lace the boots like that video showed but only skip 1 crossover on the laces. 2 might be too much.

My concern is the second loop from the top is right where the pain is.

My next time out I’ll try one and see if the pain comes back

View attachment 7035842View attachment 7035843View attachment 7035844View attachment 7035845
Here is how inlace

When you walk with the weight on, does your gait change to the point that you feel the foot you have off the ground poking out and 'reaching' its big toe forward while in the motion to plant that foot?

It's common when rucking with weight at the beginning and causes the muscle strain you describe.

Reactions: Maxduty
When you walk with the weight on, does your gait change to the point that you feel the foot you have off the ground poking out and 'reaching' its big toe forward while in the motion to plant that foot?

It's common when rucking with weight at the beginning and causes the muscle strain you describe.
That's what I was referring to in an earlier post. It's generally due to a weakness of the the posterior tibialis causing the arch of the foot to collapse. Relacing boots is a bandaid at best, it doesn't fix the problem. The pain is from the anterior tibialis having to pick the front of the foot up to clear the ground. It's a telltale sign with pain located over the talocrural joint line. If the posterior tibialis were strong enough, he'd push off the big toe and not have to pick it up.

That's what I was referring to in an earlier post. It's generally due to a weakness of the the posterior tibialis causing the arch of the foot to collapse. Relacing boots is a bandaid at best, it doesn't fix the problem. The pain is from the anterior tibialis having to pick the front of the foot up to clear the ground. It's a telltale sign with pain located over the talocrural joint line. If the posterior tibialis were strong enough, he'd push off the big toe and not have to pick it up.

Looks like we mean the exact same thing :)

Only time I get it anymore after years of heavy rucking is when I'm trying to go fast/too fast.

Reactions: Maxduty
Last year I got some "merrell" hiking boots, thinking that would be a step up from my "muck" boots. After all, hiking boots are made for hiking and muck boots are not, right ??

But, the Merrells were a disappointment. I'm rucking on gravel roads (a.k.a. "improved") out where I am and the muck boots cushion my feet just fine ... but NOT the merrells ... bottom of feet got pretty sore, after the 2nd mile ... so back to the muck boots ... they were fine ... oh my .. makes no sense ... but I have to go with what works :)

So now the merrells are my backup "city shoes" ... I can wear when I go to the nearby town and I need to look like something other than a mud man :D

And just got some lacrosse snowboots ... almost too late for this season ... they seem like "super" muck boots ... though noticably heavier ... I've tried them in the pastures in the mud city we have out here now and they work fine and I don't notice them ... but they will be the "cold weather" muck boots I'm thinking. Doubt I will be using them for the gravel ruck walks ... but will try for when I am "off road".

A few things.

Sounds like classic weakness of the muscles.

Do what Tacticaldillhole said and skip the cross in laces at flexion point. Eliminates one variable and is a good idea anyway.

Lighten your load and up your speed for a while.

3rd and best. Also weirdest. I used to have chronic and persistent shin splints.
Went into 2 years of training and never had them at all. Secret?
Rocket fins. Yep. The old UDT fins with the ridges that run all the way down the blade and are made of hard rubber. Stiff as a board and the subject of many underwater profanities from their users. This is a good thing here. They are cheap. Get a pair and fin (don’t swim, no using your arms) for 500 to 1000 m every couple days if you are actively rucking. It both stretches and strengthens the muscles on the front of your shins.
It works like magic for me and NOTHING ELSE ever has.

Last edited:
Reactions: M8541Reaper
@MK20 for the win on finning advice (and only fins to use). Your run, ruck, and overall fitness will thank you.

Do I detect a sharer of many hours of underwater boredom?
;)

Sadly, my underwater boredom is unpaid and during voluntary hours lol. I started finning after I got out. But if that’s not what you mean, then yep. Hardest part is finding a good pool.

I may bee the only one with this opinion but it sounds. a lot like Plantar Fasciitis to me. You need to stretch the area more before doing anything active. I had it and it sounds very similar.

Having spent a long career under the Green Wart and Dome of Obedience I can't see why anyone would possibly need to routinely train with over 35-pounds dead weight (not counting chest/belt gear) just for fun.

When you have events where you're going to haul more weight (infil and combat exercises, distance and terrain transiting endurance, mountain assaults, recreational PRS matches) the chances are you'll start packing to capacity. If you're just doing it for aerobic funsies you're insulting your spine, hips, knees, ankles, and other joints.