• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Painful Lessons Learned, my first PRS match.

PXranger

Private
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2017
Participated in my first PRS match last weekend at the Northeastern Kentucky Fish and Game association, and the results were educational, if not impressive. They say their is no substitute for experience, and I will agree with that 100%! I felt like a complete idiot at the end of the day, hopefully another new shooter will benefit from my failures.

I learned some important lessons that day. I knew this would probably be a painful experience and I was right. I have very limited opportunities for long range practice, but I would have done much better if I had worked on some basics first.

1. Make sure all of your equipment works!
I forgot to test one of my 10 round magazines I am using Magpul AICS 10 rounders that have to be modified to work in my MDT Savage Chassis. By chance, the first one I loaded, did not seat properly, allowing the bolt to ride over the round, crushing the side of it. I lost invaluable time on the first target of the PRS skills test, clearing this jam and changing magazines preventing me from completing the stage. Very stupid mistake on my part.

2. Practice the Basics.
My times to get behind the gun, load a magazine and acquire targets were woefully long. I needed to spend more time in the garage doing load and engage drills.

3. Don't do stupid shit.
On the speed stage, I engaged the wrong target on my first shot, hitting the 300 meter target instead of the 200. very easy to do, as it was directly behind the 200 meter target. I wasn't the only one to do so that day, but still...

4. Know your dope.
Not sure what I could have done about this, but I had no dope on the 675 yard target, due to the way our range is set up, we have to move to a hillside behind the firing line to engage this target, I had to estimate my dope on this target, and missed. Had never fired at a target this far away before, as I have no place to practice at these distances, and our practice match we were unable to use this firing position due to safety reasons.

5. Don't let the clock beat your ass, or, Make haste slowly.
I am sure the time pressure was a key factor in making me rush a few shots I should have made easily. Impossible to anticipate the pressure the clock can have on your nerves until you are on the range, Has been a long time since I had fired at pop up targets in the Army, very similar feeling.

All in all, was a fun day, and I am sure I will do better next month!

Reactions: deersniper
I have seen several shooters who "Thought" their equipment was good to go until they went to a match. Feed issues are what show up most obviously when someone is ill-prepared. You'll be ready for the next match. It gets addicting fast but has taught me to have everything well prepared and to think through the stages clearly well ahead of time. Good luck.

Reactions: deersniper
My buddy went and shot a match using hand loads he hadn't tested before. Half the primers were bad

Not sure what happen....anyway it's truly addictive all I can say is pick out the top guys and watch them very closely. It's the little things like bag/body positions that can really make things easier on yourself. Take your time and make hits.... speed will get better with time.

Just keep practicing, you'll get em on the next one! Make sure your dope is solid. You want the missed shots to be because if your skill, not lack of knowledge on drop.

On #1 I had a similar experience in my first PRS match. Shot off a tire, but my bolt wouldn't run forward. Figured something was wrong with the magazine, so swamped mags. Same problem. With the pressure on the clock I wasn't thinking as clearly as I should have, so I didn't notice that the tire/barricade was putting a lot of pressure on the bottom of the magazine causing it to rise just enough in the action to prevent the bolt from running properly. I missed a lot of points on that stage, but learned a valuable lesson.

Thanks for sharing, definitely some stuff to take into consideration. I hope to participate in my first PRS match sometime next year. I plan to start practicing here this fall and learning from these mistakes will be valuable to someone like myself.

yep at the NRA world shoot PRS stage, i rushed two shots i did not need to rush and paid the price for that. it's a whole different world when that timer goes off...

PXranger,

Are you using a ballistic app or JBM ballistics to get your dope, or are you just gathering it at the range?

I have only shot 2 matches. I can say with certainty that time management lost me more points than any... either rushing when i dont need to or running out of time on easy targets.

The equipment issuse are easy to work through at home but it sure is hard to turn up the pressure from the clock when it isnt game day

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I have only shot 2 matches. I can say with certainty that time management lost me more points than any... either rushing when i dont need to or running out of time on easy targets.

The equipment issuse are easy to work through at home but it sure is hard to turn up the pressure from the clock when it isnt game day

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

yup, pressure and time management is what i see most people struggle with...hard to duplicate that in practice

ive probably actually "practiced" prs style stuff a total of 1 hr maybe in the last 2 yrs...most of my shooting not in a match is at 100 yds zeroing/playing with random loads/bullets in different barrels/guns, or verifying/truing dope

then i just shoot 1 or 2 local matches per month as my practice...if i want to try a new position or technique, i do it at a local match, under pressure and see how smooth it works out...i dont ever go out and run thru stages or positions at the range to practice unless a newer shooter wants some help, im too lazy and its too hot in south tx lol

“Are you using a ballistic app or JBM ballistics to get your dope, or are you just gathering it at the range?”

started off with Isnipe to get rough data and then confirmed on the range.