• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors paint on flash suppressor under suppressor

bluegrasspicker

Private
Minuteman
May 4, 2005
West Virginia
Hi,

I picked up the flash hiders that will serve as a mount for a SAS Arbiter.

If I put a few coats of Duracoat on the flash hider, will it affect the suppressor/flash hider fit noticeably?

Thanks,
Bob

Re: paint on flash suppressor under suppressor

I will make the threads very tight and could even foul them.
Not sure why you would want to paint the FH though.
After the first time you use the suppressor, the Duracoat on it will have likely been destroyed.
The blast chamber of a centerfire rifle can is a VERY harsh environment.

I don't think it will hurt anything. The SAS flash hider has a thread protector to keep it off the threads, and the suppressor seats onto an angled shoulder at the back of the FH so there's no tight tolerance there. Unless you apply it wrong, it won't be thick enough to cause a misalignment. The only problem I could see it causing is reducing the friction that keeps the can tight, so it might be more prone to loosening up when shooting. That's just speculation though.

I think it will be pretty pointless. The Duracoat will most likely be gone after a few sessions at the range.