• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Paint removal from scope

clem81

Private
Minuteman
Jun 24, 2013
Lyons NY. Upstate
Anyone have any idea to remove paint on a scope body. I bought a “previously enjoyed “ Kahles scope that was painted I’m looking to remove the paint. Thanks I’m advance Craig

What kind of paint? Different process for different sorts of finishes.
If you are thinking to get it down to the factory finish, be aware that it is very unlikely to look like it was never painted, no matter what kind of paint was used.

I've had good luck with Citristrip for removing paint. Use something like an old credit card and old toothbrush to scrape and brush to aid in quick removal after letting it sit. I would make sure you cover the lenses just in case. It might take a couple attempts depending on the paint or how many coats are on it.

I've also used citristrip to remove multiple layers of krylon. First application took off 95 percent. Second application removed the rest and had scope looking like new. (Matte finish Leupold)