• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Painting a SS AR-15 barrel.

BadAtGuns

Private
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2014
I'm thinking of getting a WOA varmint barrel, and I can have it bead blasted by WOA, but I don't think I can have it painted. I want a matte black finish.

What kind of process is required to paint a barrel? I'd rather have it professionally done, so any recommendations?

Thanks.

If I were doing it I would use Norrel's Moly Resin flat black. It has been successfully used on cans! Don't bother having WO bead blast it. Bead blasting just peens the surface. The surface needs to be blasted with a more aggressive media than glass beads. The applicator use choose should know that.

Im cheap and went with Alumahyde II. However, I have been very pleased with how it has held up. When prepped and cured right, Alumahyde II is a good paint finish on areas that don't see a lot of wear.

alumahyde, blasting and cerakote. they all work just fine. no reason to spend a bunch of money getting it done when these two hold up well.

I had my WOA SS Match barrel cerakoted FDE along with my upper and lower a month ago. Turned out great. I had HDC, LLC do the work for $62.50 + shipping. I found the deal in the below thread. They did a great job and now I have them coating my SIG P239. Pictures of my AR after being coated below.

$62.50 Cerakote Special

Last edited:
I had my WOA SS Match barrel cerakoted FDE along with my upper and lower a month ago. Turned out great. I had HDC, LLC do the work for $62.50 + shipping. I found the deal in the below thread. They did a great job and now I have them coating my SIG P239. Pictures of my AR after being coated below.

$62.50 Cerakote Special

Wow.. I see a striking resemblance

TEP_0779.jpg