• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Painting a stock questions

rweldon

Sergeant
Minuteman
I have an old McMIllan stock that I would like to paint OD green. It is originally black from McMIllan. If the stock is cleaned and prepped well, can I make a good paint stick to the stock? What is the best way to prep the surface before painting? What is a good paint to use? Is Krylon decent? I dunno...never painted a stock before.

Re: Painting a stock questions

wipe down with acetone.
krylon works, duracoat will hold up better.

If the stock was previously painted, then light sand and hit it with Krylon. If it is a molded in color stock, wet sand it with 600 grit, prime it with a automotive primer from pepboys or auto paint supply store, then wet sand it again with 600 grit to get it smooth but dont take the primer all the way off. Then hit it with Krylon.

wet sand with 600 grit, prime it with automotive primer, wet sand again with 600 to smooth out the primer, hit it with Krylon OD camo.

May also want to top it off with Krylon flat clearcoat so its more durable.

I use aluma hyde II from www.brownells.com.

The stuff is all but bullet proof. After hundreds of cleanings with harsh chemicals it still stays on. The only negative is that after you paint it it takes a good 5-10 days depending on humidity and temp for it to cure and become rock hard. Check it out on the web site they do a great job explainang the product. It comes in many colors.

Either sand blast it or sand it with sandpaper. I use 220 grit paper or 120 grit when I sand blast. For synthetic stocks, I think the paper is easier and works just as well. Pay particular attention to the parts of the stock which will make the most contact. I wear earphones so they tend to scrape the top of the butt so make sure this is sanded well along with any other areas you think will see the most contact.

Krylon is easy and with good technique looks great but it comes off easier than any of the colored epoxies (duracoat etc). If you want something in a can that is easy, alumahyde II is the ticket.

It is all about good technique. Many many light coatings looks better than applying it too thick so it runs.

ALUMA HYDE II.......Just wipe your stock down with some high% rubbng alcohol...then paint.......Make sure you goto the
www.brownells.com web site and page throught the videos until you get to the fella who shows you how to apply it.......

I's super easy...Make sure you goto Aluma Hyde II because there is an "alumahyde" that requires you to bake on the finish....

Let us know what you finally choose and how you make out...

Good Luck

if you want to skip that hassle, you can send it back to McMillan and they will paint it for you

My dad, friend, and another guy are working on a paint that can be applied and then removed with a special solvent. It is completely water and heat resistant. We already have our patents in and are currently going through military testing for it. Once we get further along I will bring it to you guys to try. Rather than have to go through all that work you can literally change the paint scheme on your rifle for every season or every environment. Does this sound like something you all could use?

I hope I am not breaking any rules. The military orders are our first priority, but we absolutely plan on bringing this to the public market.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bernard Wolff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My dad, friend, and another guy are working on a paint that can be applied and then removed with a special solvent. It is completely water and heat resistant. We already have our patents in and are currently going through military testing for it. Once we get further along I will bring it to you guys to try. Rather than have to go through all that work you can literally change the paint scheme on your rifle for every season or every environment. Does this sound like something you all could use?

I hope I am not breaking any rules. The military orders are our first priority, but we absolutely plan on bringing this to the public market. </div></div>

I would be interested in this product as I am about to paint my rifle for the first time as soon as my new scope arrives.