• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

painting a stock

jmr44

Private
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2010
Texas
Just got an old Weatherby Mark V .257 mag. Black synthetic stock is solid but ugly. Would like to "refinish" - and keep it black - action is stainless. Appreciate any help from those who have done this, John

Re: painting a stock

Painted a number of stock in my time. Eventually they all looked beat, and there are none with the paint left on them.

I think that basics look better, and that aftermarket finishes all suffer from the same degree of vulnerability and impermanence.

These days, I use intentionally temporary treatments; whose key advantage is their ability to be removed without damage.

I currently favor Remington's Real Tree Vinyl Camo Tape.

Greg

Re: painting a stock

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Painted a number of stock in my time. Eventually they all looked beat, and there are none with the paint left on them.

I think that basics look better, and that aftermarket finishes all suffer from the same degree of vulnerability and impermanence.

These days, I use intentionally temporary treatments; whose key advantage is their ability to be removed without damage.

I currently favor Remington's Real Tree Vinyl Camo Tape.

Greg </div></div>

Mine havent had paint on them very long (about 2 months) but some of it has come off. I dont mine it, I also like it to be removable.