• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Painting a Surgeon 6XC

psinclair

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2008
Glasgow, Montana
When painting up a barreled action what do you use to mask off the places you dont want covered? lug area, scope lenses, turrets, crown. is there a special tape for this or am i GTG with any old tape i have laying around?

Thanks guys!! Im a rookie painter!

Re: Painting a Surgeon 6XC

Blue 3M autobody masking tape. Leaves a clean edge and comes in various widths.
Best way to paint scope is to mask the turrets and cut foam inserts to cover the lenses and set it upright on the objective lens. LIGHT MISTING COATS!!!!!

I happen to have some of that.....I cant believe Im about to paint a S&B 4-16 PMII!!!!

Ill post some before and after pics!

Should a guy wipe down the steel with acetone?

The stock is an A5 Mcmillan (desert). Im painting the steel to match it.

Ive got some 400........here goes.....

IMG_1469.jpg

here it is before..............

Thanks Dave, I kept saying to myself as I sprayed, its only a tool, its only a tool, its only a tool.

Great looking set up!! Very interesting front rest??

Nice job! What type of paint did you use, and in what color?

I'd like to do something similar.

Thanks.

Nice job... I like the color combo....

Don't sweat painting your own weapon. Remember if you mess up the paint, you can always do it again...

Now painting someone elses $2,500 scope tends to make the sweat pop...
laugh.gif

Thanks fellas, I used Krylon camouflage. I think it comes in two colors,sand and black. I tried to find O.D. green but couldnt find any. Maybe they dont make it. Ill check out a few more stores and see what I come up with.

Anyway, Good Luck and thanks!

Yep, they make it in OD green, picked some up in Billings over the weekend. $4.44 per can.