• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Painting CF barrel

S12A

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2009
Australia
What sort of issue, if any, could you expect from applying paint such as duracoat to a CF barrel?
Not talking a full coating more a net type pattern.
And I’m also talking air cure not oven
Thanks

From my experience with carbon (car hoods) you will want to scuff the gel coat/clear to get it to adhere.
If you want the carbon to show through your netting holes. I would clean well with wax and grease remover and paint. Knowing that over time the paint will scuff off.
My .02

What sort of issue, if any, could you expect from applying paint such as duracoat to a CF barrel?
Not talking a full coating more a net type pattern.
And I’m also talking air cure not oven
Thanks
Degrease, lightly sand, clean as stated above. If you want CF patterns to show, put on net, spray. If you don't, spray on base color, wait a while, put on net, spray.

East cheesy, lemon squeezy

Reactions: camocorvette
Thanks fella's . I'm new to CF. I'm not too worried about it wearing off so i might give the sand a miss and just degrease and see how it lasts. If it comes off with use I'm not worried.
appreciate the input, I'll proceed as planned.

That’s what I normally do mate , but since I have the duracoat out to do the shiny steel parts at either end may as well use it I think

Reactions: clcustom1911
From my experience with carbon (car hoods) you will want to scuff the gel coat/clear to get it to adhere.
If you want the carbon to show through your netting holes. I would clean well with wax and grease remover and paint. Knowing that over time the paint will scuff off.
My .02

FYI:
Depends on who's barrel. Proof winds excess carbon on and grinds it down so there is no gel coat. Just dealing with epoxy and carbon at that point. The guys that are wrapping woven CF sheets around the barrel may be a different story.

Also, the stuff can handle 150-200 degrees (gets that hot shooting), so even oven-cure cerakote is okay. I think you'd be fine at the typical heat cycle, but you can also cure the oven-cure C-kote as low as 150 degrees with a longer soak if you're scared (common with scopes).