• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Painting GAP Camo

mdesign

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2004
Nebraska
When you paint GAP camo do you start with the darker colors or the the lighter? I got some templates from Bulldog and have started experimenting but it's not coming out like some of the nice looking ones we see posted here on the Hide. I trying for more of a brown/tan look to go with FDE metal but am thinking of going a little darker with some colors because the tans and brown seem to run together.

I started with the dark first as a base and used the female cut outs to apply the FDE/Tan. Came out pretty good. What paints are u using? And how are you prepping the rifle parts? In my opinion prep will make all the difference.

This stock came in black, so I used torn painters tape as a stencil to mask off those areas. Painted over everything using tan next, then masked off patches of tan while being mindful of where black patches were underneath. Finished with green, which seemed to result in it being the dominate color.

Reactions: SonicBurlap
That looks real good Drifter. If I can get mine to turn out that well, I'll be very pleased.

Drifter™;3089223 said:
This stock came in black, so I used torn painters tape as a stencil to mask off those areas. Painted over everything using tan next, then masked off patches of tan while being mindful of where black patches were underneath. Finished with green, which seemed to result in it being the dominate color.

^^^^^This, I have duracoated and assisted on a few Cerakote jobs and I think this is the most important statement, whichever color you do LAST will become the dominant color of the rifle, this of course can be accounted for by using "female" templates at the end to add more of another color in the pattern, but a buddy and I had this exact conversation a few weeks back and it was the best way I found to describe it as well, whatever the last color to be sprayed on becomes the dominant color of the rifle as everything that isn't masked becomes that color.

The one I saw was on another forum, but he started with Tan, then black, and finished with Green.

35ldatl.jpg