• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Painting my barrel, what stands up to solvent?

*Nine

Tactical Operator
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2009
USA
When my barrel finally arrives it'll be plain stainless. I know people like Brownells' Aluma-Hyde and I've heard that it does stand up to solvents pretty well. I really don't need anything else from Brownells at the moment, and don't really want to pay $10 to ship a can of spray paint. Is there any other flat black paint you guys use that'll stand up to cleaning solvents that I can get locally?

Re: Painting my barrel, what stands up to solvent?

+1 for cerakote, duracoat works well also, but as for spray paint that will stand up well to solvents, you're pretty much SOL if you want to get it locally...

If you can stick it in an oven; get the ceramic high temp header paint.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you can stick it in an oven; get the ceramic high temp header paint. </div></div>

I had good luck on the flash hider on an AK build I did when I used the flat black made for BBQ grills as well.

BBQ Grill paint will last longer that regular, but not as long as cerakote. Cheap-n-easy if you don't care about a repaint down the road.

Duracoat is not resistant to acetone.
Acetone will cause Duracoat to wrinkle up and peel off.

How much solvent do you plan getting on the barrel? The muzzle doesn't matter. Buy a can of Krylon at the hardware store or Walmart and shoot.

I ended up getting a can of AlumaHyde II from Brownells since I needed some other stuff. I'm not worried about pouring solvent onto my barrel or anything, I'd just like a finish that's reasonably resistant to solvent mainly for the area around the muzzle. I realize anything around there is likely to take some abuse, I just don't want something that's going to peel off the moment it gets some cleaning solvent on it.

Duplicolor makes an engine and header paint with ceramic that's supposed to be good to 2000+ degrees F. For about six bucks at the local parts store, it can't hurt to give it a try.

For what it's worth -- rattle can bed liner does not hold up to solvent. Don't ask me how I know.
whistle.gif