• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Painting my Savage MKII - Updated!

CharlieTN

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2010
Tenneseee, USA
As mentioned in another thread I am painting my Savage MKII FV in a Tacticool stock.

Here is the rifle before:
SavageMKIIFVTrugloTacticoolBlacka.jpg

And here's the camo finish I'm going for:
Paintedsunshade.jpg

This tutorial will be built as I go since I am in the process of painting the rifle now.

Re: Painting my Savage MKII

Before I get to the meat of the painting process I had to put a base coat of tan paint on everything. This required masking off everything I didn't want painted. I won't go into much detail since most of you can figure that part out pretty easily.

I wanted a rougher texture to the grip and forend since the tacticool had a pretty minimal texture. I used a paint I found at Lowes that gave a fairly rough texture. I'll post a pic of the product later on.

Here's the texture of the grip and forend areas.
GripTexture.jpg

ForendTexture.jpg

Here are the various parts with the tan base coat.
BaseCoatStock2.jpg

BaseCoatBipod.jpg

BarrelandActionBaseCoat.jpg

PartsDrying.jpg

I also painted the turret knobs, flip open scope covers and bolt knob but didn't take pics of those.

Here's the tools of the trade.

The sponges are the basic cellulose type sponges you can find just about anywhere with cleaning supplies. These come sort of damp. Keep them that way by storing them in a ziploc bag. They work better when damp. If they dry out the paint will make them mash up flat and you won't get as much detail to the painting technique. I simply cut 1 1/2" wide strips out and used those.

Sponges.jpg

Since I am using Krylon from a can I had to spray out a small bit then dab the sponge into that to paint with. It worked well and made me pace myself. I used a block of wood for a good bit of the process but also used pie pans.

Pallette.jpg

Here's my setup for painting the stock.

Preparingtopaintrifle.jpg

The actual process is not very diffucult. Spray some paint on my makeshift pallette, dab the sponge into it and then dab away on the object I'm painting. I tried to allow for darker and lighter areas as I went because I will be layering brown, black and them some more tan on as I go.

Here's the stock partially done followed by completed.

Stockwithsomegreen.jpg

Stockwithgreencoat.jpg

Target knobs
TurretCaps.jpg

Bipod
Bipodwithgreencoat.jpg

I still have to put the olive layer on the scope and hope to do that tonight. Then it's time to start sponging on the brown. I'll post that as I go.

I have a mark II and i have a Tacticool stock in the mail right now. I would like to paint mine too eventually. I am curious, I am not very knowledge about painting guns and such. How did you get that nice texture on the grip?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stork23raz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a mark II and i have a Tacticool stock in the mail right now. I would like to paint mine too eventually. I am curious, I am not very knowledge about painting guns and such. How did you get that nice texture on the grip? </div></div>

Let me get a shot of the paint I found and I'll post that. That was the trick. I just taped off everything except the area I wanted the texture on. Masking tape is your friend.

This looks interesting....can't wait for the finished product.

Looking good! I started mine over the weekend also. Got the stock finished but I am to low on Tan to start on anything else. It turned out great so far though. Cant wait to see it all complete!

I have used the Valspar stone texture stuff (lowes) with very good results. It takes a long time to dry, but works very well. Check the link in my signature for a picture of it.

Looking good CharlieTN, I have brush painted stocks and used stencils, but never sponges. Anxious to see the finished results, I have a Richards stock I bought from a guy on another board and am planning a new paint scheme and may try some sponge work mixed with stencils. Sponging the bipod looks like the way to go, it turned out great in the above pic.

The rifle is finished. I'll post up part 2 of the tutorial later today and hope to take some good pics of the finished project this evening. I am so happy with the results. Gotta find more things to paint.

Charlie

Part 2 of the tutorial.

Got some garage time last night and was able to finish up the rifle. I'll have to post pics of the whole rifle hopefully tomorrow. Didn't have time or daylight yet.

Someone asked what I used for the added texture. I found this at Lowe's and it seemed to work very good. Just a bit more texture without being too aggressive.
rustoleumstone.jpg

Using the same technique that I used to apply the Olive, I put on some Brown. The key was to go with less coverage with each subsequent layer. Tan overall coat, 50% coverage with Olive, 25% coverage with Brown, 10% coverage with Black and then a final 5% coverage with Tan. Of course these are approximates but hopefully the pics will give the you the idea of what I'm meaning.

Here is the stock with part of the brown layer.
Stockwithbrown.jpg

And here is the rifle with the black added.
Stockwithblack3.jpg

Hopefully you can see what I meant about decreasing amounts of coverage with each subsequent layer.

Here is a closeup of the stock with the final layer of tan.
Stopckwithfinaltancoat.jpg

I found that by adding this final layer of tan the stock really took on some depth to the pattern which is what I wanted. It also lightened up the overall effect.

I also did both of the flip-up scope covers. Here is the eye piece.
ButlerCreekeyecap.jpg

I do question the longevity of the paint job on these since they are relatively slick plastic. If it doesn't hold up I'll try roughing up the plastic with some sand paper and give it another go. I'm also tempted to switch to the covers sold by weaver. They look considerably tougher.

I hope to get some pics tonight of the whole rifle and I'll post them.

Hope this has helped/inspired you guys.

Thanks,

Charles

Great job. Very adaptable camo. What did you seal it with?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MPB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great job. Very adaptable camo. What did you seal it with? </div></div>

I did leave that out.

Krylon Matte Overcoat. I'll try to take a pic tonight of the paints/finishes I used. Make it easy to keep up with.

Charlie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Situation Normal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's looking pretty sharp Charlie. What do you have in mind for the shoulder pad? </div></div>

Not quite sure. Being rubber, the krylon won't stick to it very well. I'm open to suggestions for that.

Charlie

If you are going to put the original one back on I'd leave it black. I was just thinking that with the amount of work that you are putting into the Savage that now might be a good time to fabricate some sort of "length of pull" adapter/spacer. Just another way of personalizing it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Situation Normal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are going to put the original one back on I'd leave it black. I was just thinking that with the amount of work that you are putting into the Savage that now might be a good time to fabricate some sort of "length of pull" adapter/spacer. Just another way of personalizing it. </div></div>

For now I'm just using the original but the adjustable length of pull is definitely on the drawing board. Unfortunately my machining abilities are quite limited. Might have to farm that one out.

Charlie

Alrighty, here are a couple of pics of the completed rifle outside.

CompleteRifle2.jpg

CompleteRifle.jpg

Hope you all enjoy it. It was a great project and I'm very happy with the results.

Charlie

It looks fantastic. How much time did you invest into this project from start to finish?

Money wise, probably around $20-25. The paint costs roughly $5 per can but of course you don't use a complete can of any color. The tan probably only used 1/2 a can, the rest even less.

Time wise, roughly 4-5 hours. It was done in short increments with the longest being last night where I finished up the last 3 layers and the matte finish coat. That was roughly 1 1/2 hours.

The prep, specifically masking the markings on the scope, took the longest.

You are more than welcome. I have learned so much from this forum that this is the least I can give back.

Charlie

Very nice. What did you use for the matte finish coat if you don't mind me asking?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BBsteel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice. What did you use for the matte finish coat if you don't mind me asking? </div></div>

Krylon Matte Finish (or overcoat. Can't remember what it's called)

Every time I see a rifle painting tutorial, I want to out to the garage and paint mine. I think I'll pick up some krylon the next time I'm at the hardware store.

-Jedberg

AWESOME JOB!!! did you have to anything special to the barrel/action for prep or just paint (besides taping? I dont know anything about painting. did you finish it somehow to keep it from chipping off?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stork23raz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AWESOME JOB!!! did you have to anything special to the barrel/action for prep or just paint (besides taping? I dont know anything about painting. did you finish it somehow to keep it from chipping off? </div></div>

I hosed down the barrel and action with break cleaner to degrease it then wiped it down with a clean rag. I had done this same prep on an AK before and figured if it worked for that greasy gun then it would work great for the relatively clean Savage.

I did finish the entire rifle with Krylon Matte finish. I have read on a couple of forums that the matte overcoat really helps the krylon. Only time with tell but the good thing is that if it does wear, it'll be easy to fix. :)