• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Painting "Safe" and "Fire"

six9

Private
Minuteman
Dec 25, 2008
Laramie, Wyoming
I tried to do some searching on here to no avail. I'm interested in the proper way to paint the safe and fire on my AR. I've seen some partial information on using Testors enamel but I don't want to start painting until I know its the right way.

Thanks!

Re: Painting "Safe" and "Fire"

Looks like everyone agrees that some sort of crayon is a better idea than enamel paint.. Its worth a shot for sure.

Not to sound gay but the wife had red and white nail polish laying around. Got a sewing needle dipped it in and filled the letters. Worked for me and was somewhat free.

I went to the hardware store and they lumber and china markers. I did a little test to see which was brighter by putting a X on shelf. The china was quite a bit brighter to I went with two of those. I think it looks pretty good, take a peek.

2q231ox.jpg

Wow, I really should take it easy on the cold medicine, that post was horrible.

They HAD BOTH lumber and china markers.. The china was quite a bit brighter SO I went with two of those..

A guy at falfiles.com sells a "lettering tool" a modified dental pick for this with instructions. He dips it in testors enamel paint and dabs it so it runs in the grooves. I have one around here somewhere if I can find it I will post pix. Here is the link to Ricketts ad. I have done business with him in th epast he's GTG
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=151995
Rad

Can I ask an obvious question, but one that Ive really been wondering... Why paint it?

I did mine with Testors paint. I used a fine brush and it came out great. keep a little bit of mineral sprits on hand to clean up the edges and "oopsies" and if you dont like it you can scrub it out with tooth brush.

As far as why do it? Why put pin stripe on your car or a ghost flame job on your motorcycle.... The answer is why not, I think it looks sharp as hell on my A2 Carbine, I love it.

I have since put the dpms log and mfg info back to black... I like having the numbers and windage lines painted on the rear sights

painted-1.jpg

I agree. I painted it because it looks nice. Plus for my girlfriend who is learning it makes it very easy to see what position the lever is in.

So I say why not paint it?

Some guys like bumper stickers, some guys don't...LOL Reminds me of a NASCAR

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krink85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to sound gay but the wife had red and white nail polish laying around. Got a sewing needle dipped it in and filled the letters. Worked for me and was somewhat free.</div></div>

+1

I brushed on a light coat, let it dry, and then removed the excess with acetone. I then repeated those steps until I was happy with how it looked.

If you go the paint route...

After applying the paint, wait a few minutes for the paint to begin hardening. Then, using a piece of plastic with a sharp edge (credit card is the only example that comes to mind), scrape across the lettering to sharpen the edges and clean up any excess.

okay probably just being a dik here , but what ever happened to muscle memory? personally id prefer if the uninitiated have to at least squint to get my weapon rolling if i went down. but i guess if were talkin safe queens...

As six9 alluded to, this can be a nice touch when you are on the line when you are shooting with new shooters. Anything to make the job of being RO for your "students" easier can help you identify problems before they are happening.

and it looks cool on safe gueens!

It does look good on safe queens. And I argee with Sobr, even though she has gotten in the habit of double checking it makes it a little easier for her..

My Wal-Mart doesn't have Testors anymore. I asked and the lady told me that kids don't do models anymore! HUH?!?

So I went to Hobby Lobby and got some Testors. I think I am going to take out the grease pen and try the Testors. Also be careful to get enamel at Hobby Lobby as they have other kinds..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ECH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did mine with a crayon. White for safe and red for fire. </div></div>

Exactly what I did, looks great for years and years