• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Painting trg questions

skog

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2009
Rhodes, MI
Getting ready to paint my trg with duracoat. Going to try 4 color flec. What prep should be done on the stock as far as adding some tooth for the paint? 400 grit sand paper? Courses, finer? Will acetone harm the stock as a degreaser?

I like the factory parkerized finish, but can I degrease with acetone and paint or do I need to media blast and then degrease with acetone?

Who makes better templates, duracoat or someone else?

Re: Painting trg questions

light sanding, wipe down with Alcohol

get some sea sponges and go to town

pert simple

Sea sponges? It that for blotting and adding texture?

Barreled action is already phosphate, can I degrease and spray over that rather than remove it?

I didn't do anything to mine except rub down with solvent (alcohol) and let dry. Then primed with some SEM self-etch primer. Then Krylon Camo paint. Started with Green/olive base and then used natural veggie and tan, brown and black to break up the outlines. Came out great and has been very rugged.

sakopainted.jpg

Cheers,

Sirhr

Great looking paint job! I especially like the white over what looks like fern leaves. Makes me want to paint mine.