• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

palma contour advantages?

balls2elwall

Private
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2008
Tampa, FL
well i keep finding different answers as to what the advantages/ disadvantages of a palma contour vs. a straight bull barrel. i cant find any real answers or atleast that i can understand. please inform me. and just incase this matters im running a remington 700 .308 looking to convert to a full bull barrel around twent six inches because i wont be running a can.

Re: palma contour advantages?

Weight my brother, weight.

A 26" full bull barrel is going to be ridiculously heavy. Any barrel contour will save you some weight. The Palma contours were specifically designed to make the total weight restrictions for Palma shooting classes. There's nothing particularly magical about them when compared to other style contours of similar weight.

I run a 24" medium Palma myself.

Picture014.jpg

Picture012.jpg

A couple of obvious facts about barrel contour.
A heavy contour will have less apparent recoil effect.
A heavy barrel contour can torque or stress the action and reduce accuracy. Less so when properly bedded, but I do not think you can remove the problem completly.

how do the palma contours compare with something like a Rem sendero/varmint?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how do the palma contours compare with something like a Rem sendero/varmint?</div></div>

Here ya go...have a look at the contours and weights, pick the one you like...

http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/Contours-c1246-wp3382.htm

Personally, I have both and prefer the weight to length of the Medium Palma...and will continue to use them.

Is there a big advantage of one over the other...I don't think so...Is there an advantage over an MTU... Yeah, you don't have a truck axle on a rifle action:)

I'm not sure I would espouse the benefits of cutting weight if I were running the heaviest scope in it's class
grin.gif

Actually I really like the setup, what does it weigh all up?

Rath

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MTETM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how do the palma contours compare with something like a Rem sendero/varmint?</div></div>

Personally, I have both and prefer the weight to length of the Medium Palma...and will continue to use them.

Is there a big advantage of one over the other...I don't think so...Is there an advantage over an MTU... Yeah, you don't have a truck axle on a rifle action:) </div></div>

It looks like, according to my untrained eye and the graph, that a Standard Palma contour will fit in a Remington Varmint/Sendero barrel channel without modification?

Is this correct?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not sure I would espouse the benefits of cutting weight if I were running the heaviest scope in it's class
grin.gif

Actually I really like the setup, what does it weigh all up?

Rath </div></div>

I don't shoot Palma, I just like their barrel contours

Overall, it weighs more than I want. As pictured, it is almost 14 pounds. And you are right, the scope was no help at all!

no the palma barrel has more knox form the chamber end is longer while staying paralell so you have to machine a small amount out of the stock so the barrel clears the channel. that is the only reason that a palma profile has an advantage over a sendero profile the chamber end of the barrel is longer at full diameter making the barrel suitable for a rechamber when the barrel is tired.

i think the medium palma is a great long range profile being stiff and relativly light without going to a very heavy straight taper barrel but if you want to stick to the factory barrel channel just get a sendero profile they are what i reccomend a lot for factory stocks without modification they are stiff enough for long range precision work actualy one of the best factory profiles around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 18Echo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MTETM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how do the palma contours compare with something like a Rem sendero/varmint?</div></div>

Is there a big advantage of one over the other...I don't think so...Is there an advantage over an MTU... Yeah, you don't have a truck axle on a rifle action:) </div></div>

It looks like, according to my untrained eye and the graph, that a Standard Palma contour will fit in a Remington Varmint/Sendero barrel channel without modification?

Is this correct?</div></div>

Wild Bill has it correct. Most Palma tapers have a 5" shank before they begin to taper while the Rem. taper is usually 2.5 inches prior to the taper. This means you will have to open up the stock inlay close to the action and there will be a bit of a gap as you move toward the end of the stock because the Palma has more total taper to the barrel then the Remington Varmint.

Hope this makes sense.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MTETM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 18Echo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MTETM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how do the palma contours compare with something like a Rem sendero/varmint?</div></div>

Is this correct?</div></div>

Wild Bill has it correct. Most Palma tapers have a 5" shank before they begin to taper while the Rem. taper is usually 2.5 inches prior to the taper. This means you will have to open up the stock inlay close to the action and there will be a bit of a gap as you move toward the end of the stock because the Palma has more total taper to the barrel then the Remington Varmint.

Hope this makes sense. </div></div>

Okay. the Krieger countour page shows a 2.5 shank on the palma's thats why I was wondering.

Is there an actual accuracy difference between the various contours?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lw8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there an actual accuracy difference between the various contours? </div></div>

Nothing measurable

Palma contours are simply a double straight taper. The Remington Sendero/Varmint/PSS has a double radius. It is just "knockin' the corners off". A 26" medium palma will look identical to a sendero from more than two feet away. There is no difference in accuracy between the two.

I use light palma contour and they work well. But, there are many contours that are similar in weight but different in stock inlet profile: I"d get the profile that matches your stock inlet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Weight my brother, weight.

A 26" full bull barrel is going to be ridiculously heavy. Any barrel contour will save you some weight. The Palma contours were specifically designed to make the total weight restrictions for Palma shooting classes. There's nothing particularly magical about them when compared to other style contours of similar weight.

I run a 24" medium Palma myself.

Picture014.jpg

Picture012.jpg

</div></div>

Sorry to get off subject but is that the 700p or 5R stock?

Would there be any issues using magnum cartriges in Palma contours...as in 300 win mag in a medium Palma contoured barrel?

They make 300 win mags every day on barrels with a smaller contour than a medium Palma.

I think barrel choice should be about what weight rifle you want.

A heavy barrel will more than likely not shoot more accurate than a light weight barrel. But a heavy rifle is easier to shoot more accurately than a light rifle.

What's the rifle going to be used for?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .257</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They make 300 win mags every day on barrels with a smaller contour than a medium Palma.

I think barrel choice should be about what weight rifle you want.

A heavy barrel will more than likely not shoot more accurate than a light weight barrel. But a heavy rifle is easier to shoot more accurately than a light rifle.

What's the rifle going to be used for?
</div></div>
+1 and you decide what weight based on the activity and caliber. If you don't have to hump it and it's a heavy-kicking caliber, then get a heavy barrel to tame the recoil and make it easier to shoot.

Great info here guys, Thanks.
Anyone knows were the Rem. SPS tactical 20" barrel contour fits in the Krieger contour chart above?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M700Love</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry to get off subject but is that the 700p or 5R stock? </div></div>
Looks like the 700P stock to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: neo223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great info here guys, Thanks.
Anyone knows were the Rem. SPS tactical 20" barrel contour fits in the Krieger contour chart above? </div></div>

Rem 700 SPS Tactical is simply a Rem Varmint Contour barrel cut to 20"