• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pant/Jacket Suggestions

sbernier123

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2017
Looking for suggestions or guidance in selecting some quality outerwear (jacket/pants) without taking out a second mortgage, haha. Denim is comfy and all but doesn't hold up outdoors and forget about it getting wet. I've been using the Kuhl pants this year and I think their fine as a general use pant, but I've already blown the knees out of a couple and they wear/stain quickly when you get outdoors, oh yeah and they are also not great for water resistance. With that all being said, here's my application:

-Living in the northeast and heading into winter, would like to be able to handle colder (I know how to layer, so doesn't need to be super heavy) wet conditions. We get a lot of rain/snow/sleet and would really like to stuff to be able to handle that within reason.

-With hunting season starting, it would be great to find something in Multicam/other camo pattern (not a fan of the realtree stuff...) that could pull double duty for hunting.

-PRS style competitions/classes; I shoot a few matches each year and my usual pants take a beating, knees get worn out quickly, Not super functional in awkward positions and if it starts raining which it did a lot of at matches this year, my current stuff gets wet and stays wet, which sucks.

-General Outdoor/Shooting activity; I own a decent bit of land, and spend of fair amount of time in the woods, either scouting/atv'ing/or shooting on the range. I get dirty and don't like having to turn home when my gear can't stand up.

So here's where my research has taken me so far:

-Crye Precision; these seem like a very popular pant. I see them a lot at matches/classes. They are also a military issue pant. However, they are also a very popular pant among the "milsim" "airsoft" "tacticool" commando crowd. I just don't know if they're for me. Also heard some sketchy stuff about their customer service.

-Beyond Clothing; I think these are leaning towards the top of my list. Not super tacticool, seem to be very highly regarded and great quality, but are also a bit pricey

-Arcteryx; The leaf stuff is also highly regarded but I just can't afford an $800 jacket.

-Kuiu/Sitka; heard good stuff, marketed more towards the hunting crowd, also pretty pricey. So many options, having some troubling narrowing it down.

If anyone has any specific items from these companies/or others I'm not aware of, I'd love to hear it. If you spend a lot of time in conditions like mine, I'd love to hear what apparel you trust. Thanks!

I would recommend any of those you mentioned. Also look at triple aught designs.

As for crye, best tactical pants on the market hands down. Very pricey though but extremely comfortable. Beyond clothing makes really good stuff as well. I believe eberlestock has some new stuff as well.

Awesome, thanks for the input, I'll check out Triple Aught Designs as well.

Modern milsurp is usually where I go when I need some kind of high performance outdoor clothing. Patagonia or ORC Level 5 PCU's for less than stellar weather(I use these for hunting and rain), a set on Ebay would run you less than 300. Crye, Patagonia and Beyond are the best of the "combat pants". Find your size and camo preference of any of the three. If you don't want to look like a tactical goofball, the Crye field pants are much more covert.

I have several pairs of the Crye and a pair of the Beyond pants and they are top notch. I usually cruise the Facebook groups and wait for a deal. Both pairs of Crye pants I paid way less than retail for. Only down side is they are AOR1 and AOR2 camo. I was hoping to get something a little less tacticool

I hadn't really thought of the surplus stuff, I'll check it out! good tip on the field pants, I was eyeing those as well. Thanks for the info!

I have several pairs of the Crye and a pair of the Beyond pants and they are top notch. I usually cruise the Facebook groups and wait for a deal. Both pairs of Crye pants I paid way less than retail for. Only down side is they are AOR1 and AOR2 camo. I was hoping to get something a little less tacticool

Finding a good deal would great! the full retail price is going to hurt the wallet, haha. But I do believe in the "get what you pay for" mentality. Do you use the knee pads? How do they work for general use application, and not running and gunning? Do they get annoying?

check out US elite... if you don’t mind being a year old in your fashion statement i’ve bought a lot of Leaf stuff from them when they blow them out at 1/4 of the price..... sometimes it may not be the color i want but many times it is and the right size

can’t beat getting a $800 jacket for 300 or $400 pants for a hundred

I prefer the G3 Combat Pants with exterior knee pads for shooting off of any kind of hard surface (rooftop, culverts, cement pads, conx boxes etc) at a PRS type event. Having the pads outside the pants prevents me from getting holes in the knees.

If it's more of a field match like the SDSC then I prefer the Beyond A9U pants or the pair of Field Pants I have. They seem a little lighter weight and I have the option for knee pads but usually opt not to put them in, in an effort to keep cool.

I’m more of a hunter/tromping thru woods guy than tactical type so I lean more towards Kuiu/Sitka. I’ve got some Sitka camo for hunting (open country pattern) but lately I’ve been impressed with Kuiu - great bang for the buck as there is no middleman/retailer in their marketing structure and they offer neutral colorways other than camo. For everyday ranch/outdoor wear check out their Attack pant in a solid color - can wear it working in the woods all day and then to town without looking like a Real Tree in the bar. Also, my son just got their Guide DSC jacket and I think it’s solid gear for $250.

I haven’t used LEAF but do use Arctyrex outerwear for side/backcountry snowboarding trips where it’s worth the premium price tag. However I’d hate to take that high dollar gear to the thorns, rust and grease encountered daily on the ranch.

ETA: Have found good deals for Kuiu/Sitka on Archery Talk forum.

There's an Arcteryx outlet in Tulalip WA, north of Everett, that sells LEAF at a big discount.
Worth the effort to call them.
Crye pants are, hands down, some of the best, most comfortable pants I've ever owned. Worth their sale price.
Can't say anything bad about Beyond, great people, great product.
Same with kuiu and TAD.

All that said, it's difficult to outperform the mil issue ECWS shell jacket and pants.

For midlayers, Eddie Bauer First Ascent 800 fill down jackets are amazing. Mine has survived several winters, late nights working in the barn, winter matches and horse bites. They occasionally have 50% off deals.

Im a functional apparel consultant living in the Pacific Northwet and use/torture my outerwear regularly. Most of my gear dies a horrible death.

I gotta say I like the price point of Triple Aught Design a lot more than Crye. Crye’s pants cost more than my suit!
Can anyone speak the Triple Aught’s quality?

You can try Vertx pants, they used to have multicam and kryptek patterns. What's nice about them is the pockets lay flat and dont look like tacticool pants in tans and greens.
Beyond clothing usually has big sales after Thanksgiving

Reactions: INMY01TA
I gotta say I like the price point of Triple Aught Design a lot more than Crye. Crye’s pants cost more than my suit!
Can anyone speak the Triple Aught’s quality?
just talked to someone there today about sizing but I"m about to order the Ranger LT jacket and some pants (recon AC). I've seen the gear before and looks to be similar to my Arcteryx stuff

Reactions: Kane0519
Kuiu Attack pants. Awesome pants. Come in solid colora, as well.

I have Cyre, Kitannica, and Vertx pants. The Crye are the most comfortable. The Kitannica's (old RSP's, now called "Raider" pants) are the most rugged (I've got two pairs, going on three years now; they're overbuilt like a MF and tough as shit). The Vertx is the most "office" friendly, casual wear pants. They have had a few sizing issues over the years though, going from a lean cut, to baggy, back to lean.

As far as jackets, some version of the Condor Summit jacket (everyone makes them now) is a decent jacket/shell. But, for a buy once, cry once jacket, the Kitannica Mk IV is hands down the best I've found. I've been sprayed with blood, rained on, splattered with mud and muck, and I just hose the thing off. It is the definition of an over built, rugged, practical design. It is very stiff initially (very heavy/dense construction), but breaks in once you get rained on a couple times. I've gone through a lot of coats and jackets over the years, but that Mk IV impresses the shit out of me every time I use it.

I'm about to try Triple Aught Design for pants, so I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

I have a few pairs of the Recon RS pants and they've held up well over the last couple years. One of the pairs is starting to wear through on the front.

I have Cyre, Kitannica, and Vertx pants. The Crye are the most comfortable. The Kitannica's (old RSP's, now called "Raider" pants) are the most rugged (I've got two pairs, going on three years now; they're overbuilt like a MF and tough as shit). The Vertx is the most "office" friendly, casual wear pants. They have had a few sizing issues over the years though, going from a lean cut, to baggy, back to lean.

As far as jackets, some version of the Condor Summit jacket (everyone makes them now) is a decent jacket/shell. But, for a buy once, cry once jacket, the Kitannica Mk IV is hands down the best I've found. I've been sprayed with blood, rained on, splattered with mud and muck, and I just hose the thing off. It is the definition of an over built, rugged, practical design. It is very stiff initially (very heavy/dense construction), but breaks in once you get rained on a couple times. I've gone through a lot of coats and jackets over the years, but that Mk IV impresses the shit out of me every time I use it.

I'm about to try Triple Aught Design for pants, so I hope to be pleasantly surprised.
Agree on vertx. Bought some last year and the fit was horrible.

Arborwear tree climber, I think they call them ascender. Can buy them in Jean sizes.

Reactions: rhydet
If you don't want to spend crazy amounts on the Crye G3 Pants watch eBay, Facebook and other gun boards. I have yet to pay retail for any of the Crye gear I have. You may get stuck with a tacticool camp pattern, for example I have a pair of AOR1 and AOR2 G3 pants but at the end of the day I don't care. I have some durable and comfortable pants that I can wear to matches if need be.

Filson Tin pants will protect you like no other but as I get older i find myself in Mountain Khakis more often. Great pants and very comfortable.

Kuhl used to be my go to for pants, but I’ve been impressed with prAna zion pants and shorts. They’re a stretchy almost softshell like material. Super comfy and holding up well so far.

For jackets it’s hard to beat TAD. I have been a ranger and stealth hoody that are close to four or five years old now. Pricey but worth it.

Looking for suggestions or guidance in selecting some quality outerwear (jacket/pants) without taking out a second mortgage, haha. Denim is comfy and all but doesn't hold up outdoors and forget about it getting wet. I've been using the Kuhl pants this year and I think their fine as a general use pant, but I've already blown the knees out of a couple and they wear/stain quickly when you get outdoors, oh yeah and they are also not great for water resistance. With that all being said, here's my application:

-Living in the northeast and heading into winter, would like to be able to handle colder (I know how to layer, so doesn't need to be super heavy) wet conditions. We get a lot of rain/snow/sleet and would really like to stuff to be able to handle that within reason.

-With hunting season starting, it would be great to find something in Multicam/other camo pattern (not a fan of the realtree stuff...) that could pull double duty for hunting.

-PRS style competitions/classes; I shoot a few matches each year and my usual pants take a beating, knees get worn out quickly, Not super functional in awkward positions and if it starts raining which it did a lot of at matches this year, my current stuff gets wet and stays wet, which sucks.

-General Outdoor/Shooting activity; I own a decent bit of land, and spend of fair amount of time in the woods, either scouting/atv'ing/or shooting on the range. I get dirty and don't like having to turn home when my gear can't stand up.

So here's where my research has taken me so far:

-Crye Precision; these seem like a very popular pant. I see them a lot at matches/classes. They are also a military issue pant. However, they are also a very popular pant among the "milsim" "airsoft" "tacticool" commando crowd. I just don't know if they're for me. Also heard some sketchy stuff about their customer service.

-Beyond Clothing; I think these are leaning towards the top of my list. Not super tacticool, seem to be very highly regarded and great quality, but are also a bit pricey

-Arcteryx; The leaf stuff is also highly regarded but I just can't afford an $800 jacket.

-Kuiu/Sitka; heard good stuff, marketed more towards the hunting crowd, also pretty pricey. So many options, having some troubling narrowing it down.

If anyone has any specific items from these companies/or others I'm not aware of, I'd love to hear it. If you spend a lot of time in conditions like mine, I'd love to hear what apparel you trust. Thanks!
I've used the Outdoor Research Furio pants (I think thats what they're called.) I think they run $90 a pair, unless you're military, you get a 40-60% discount on OR stuff, theyre a bit cheaper then! Sorry, I can't remember a lot about them because I've had the same pair for 3 years now. Used them hunting all over the Rockies and Cascades, they've held up great. The only wear is a small tear on one knee.

I own 2 pairs of Crye G3 combat pants and think they're wildly overpriced. They're also the least durable pants I've ever owned. Talk to any SOF guys who get issued Crye and they routinely blow out crotches, rip flaps off, etc. And Crye's attitude to customer service is "If you're the original owner and have a receipt, there's a moderate chance we'll help you. Otherwise you can piss right off." The pants are nice, but I'll never buy another pair of them again. The value simply isn't there.

I've spent most of my recreational adult life in the mountains being rough on clothing, and I've found that cheap/basic stuff is a FAR better purchase than anything high-dollar. My favorite pants right now are both from Costco and were both $20 each and backed by Costco's lifetime, unconditional return policy.

One is a pair of lightweight nylon trekking pants that are direct copies (same factory) as the Eddie Bauer Guide Pro pants. They're stretchy, fast drying, extremely light, and have proven very durable. Perfect for hot weather. They have been through at least 6-7 "Run and Gun" 10km biathlon matches, countless range days, BURIED in mud, and they still look like new.

IMG_0660-670x1005.jpg

For cold weather, the other amazing Costco pants are a pair of thick duck cotton pants (like Carhartt) but with a fleece lining. They are super warm - I had them out in on a frigid day this January preparing for Mammoth Sniper Challenge and was miserable (the high was around 8-10 degrees), but survived. My shooting partner was in a full on snowmobile suit. The pants are also stretchy, very heavy duty, and best of all, they are actually a nice slim fit. I hate overly baggy clothing.

Already mentioned in previous posts but worth reinforcing, I'd highly recommend anything from Crye, Arcteryx (both LEAF and civilian), and Beyond. All of these brands are on the higher end of the cost scale but the overall build quality, fit, and durability of their clothing are worth the extra money since they normally last you for years instead of months. Also, check out Tactical Distributors' clothing options and Mountain Khakis (specifically their Camber 107 line of pants) for some good quality options at a lower price point.

Last edited:
For pants, find a surplus shop that has the ECWCS GEN III multicam level 5's. I wear mine all the time at matches, and they're great. Plenty of room to layer, wear knee pads, and pockets are big enough for rear bags and other do dats. You could also get the level 5 jacket in multicam, but they are fairly baggy (I don't mind baggy pants, but cant stand a baggy top when moving and shooting). Get some level 1 silkies and level 2 waffle fleece while you're at it. Shouldn't be more than $140 for everything in like new condition.

Reactions: TACC
FWIW Kuiu is having a sale thru Nov 18,,,,, 25% off Attack pant and Guide Jacket helps lessen the sting a bit...

I like Duluth Trading Co.'s FireHose stuff personally.

Double tap on the UF Pro Gear pants. I have plenty of Crye G3s and a pair of Arcteryx Talos, and I prefer my UF Pro Striker HT combat pants. I haven't looked recently, but when I got them about a year ago Anarchy Outdoors was the only US distributor. They're also cheaper than the Crye G3s (if both are new).

I've been using the Kuhl heavyweight pants and really like them. For bad weather I really like the Sitka Cloudburst coat and pants, not heavy and i can pack them both into a medium sized Kafaru pullout. If it's cold out i use the Sitka middi-Celsius jacket and it's breathable and compacts into a medium sized pullout as well.

I started using Sitka for deer hunting and really like the design and quality of their products

Last edited:
I've got a L5 jacket from Beyond and its awesome. I'll throw Otte Gear in there too, their stuff is GTG.

We all need to understand that ultra-light stuff like KUIU markets has it’s purpose, heavy duty work non-water proof another and rain gear theirs.

Unfortunately, there just is not one category ultra light, heavy duty or rain gear that is perfect for everyone in every situation. I still tend to use side zips for rain and snow laying and a more flexible pant for non rainy days.

Last edited:
The challenge is when it’s all of the above. This past weekend at the Bighorn Steel Classic, it was 22 degrees, sleeting, then raining, and the conditions were harsh. Ended up layering up with several options and adjusting as the two days progressed. At times it was pretty miserable.

@Wolf Hunter

Last edited:
I live in the Northeast too OP.

Heading out to shoot soon at Devens MA.

It's in the twentys right now with snow cover.

Filson wool pants with a set of ECWS surplus woodland overpant.

Smartwool first layer, top with a Filson wool sweater over.

Filson wool vest.

Arcteryx hard shell

Filson wool/shearling hat.

I'll be toasty in wool even if it starts raining.

I like Filson.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarinePMI
I live in the Northeast too OP.

Heading out to shoot soon at Devens MA.

It's in the twentys right now with snow cover.

Filson wool pants with a set of ECWS surplus woodland overpant.

Smartwool first layer, top with a Filson wool sweater over.

Filson wool vest.

Arcteryx hard shell

Filson wool/shearling hat.

I'll be toasty in wool even if it starts raining.

I like Filson.

sounds like about 2 grand worth of clothes

I've been wearing a pair of Beyond A9 mission pants in Multicam, and they're awesome. Built like a tank, and have handled everything I've thrown at them so far this winter. I only wish Beyond would make them in solid colors...

sounds like about 2 grand worth of clothes

$165 for the Filson pants on sale - posted here when the sale was going on so others could buy in,

ECWS pants were found adrift at work and after 6 months of sitting still and no one claiming them they drifted to my closet,

Smartwool undershirt was $50 on sale at REI (Where I no longer shop although I will spend my just received dividend on ammo),

actually opted for a Woolrich wool sweater as weather was warmer than expected - gift from someone no idea on cost,

Filson vest $130 gifted to me - Im no longer shy about asking for useful shit because getting dumb stuff I wont use is a waste of money,

Arcteryx jacket was $350 bought back around 2000 when their retail shit was made in Canada - time for a new one but I wont buy their China gear.

Filson hat - Gift from kids for Christmas - $80

Might as well price everything....

Silk sock liners $15.

Buffalo Wool Co Sock - gift from wife - $50

Koflach Mountaineering boots - old school leather - bought them in Pras De Lys, France circa 1988 - $250

Being warm to enjoy this.......

as you can tell by the smile on my face in the zip movie.....Priceless!

Last edited:
Check out LAPG brand clothing. No frills, no fancy and priced for everyday people. Not for the gear snobs but I use them.

Looking for suggestions........

https://ufpro.com/

We have been super impressed with the UF Pro after running Crye and Kitanica

./

Reactions: MarinePMI
https://ufpro.com/

We have been super impressed with the UF Pro after running Crye and Kitanica

./

Those look well designed; I may have to give them a go(thanks for the link). The new Vertx tactical pants are not bad (back pockets are useless though; prefer the older, open design). Cyre have just gotten stupid expensive, and Kitanica (while I love them) are never in stock in my size. This UF Pro looks like a viable replacement.

Have you and yours had any issues in availability?