• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Paper Patching Jacket Bullet

Jedi

Team AndiCapp
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2003
Mountains
Many moons ago there was a book advertised in Field ans Stream etc on how to do this.

Yep i understand its mostly used in Black powder.

Heres What i want to try, Patched 162AMAX outta 308. Why? well i think i have done all i can with da skinny
162AmaX bc .620 @ 2900fps should be fun, if i can get it to work.

Vague info online, but i got jeest of it i think.
Roll bullet lightly under file so paper will grip
Use wet paper so it shrinks tight to bullet
Wrap opposite direction of barrel twist, so bore tightens paper as it moves thru it.
Dont overlap on end point cut flush, twist bottom etc

Slightly oversize is preferred to ensure good pressure seal.

What is recommendation for paper? i understand it should be cotton mix?
suggestion on what to try

Only thing i,m not clear on is method to seat bullet without tearing paper?? But i,m sure i can work it out

Paper type/quality is something i,m clueless on hoping we got some blackpowder paper patchers here.

Re: Paper Patching Jacket Bullet

Here's the book you need

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,6300.html

I doubt what you have in mind will work as paper patching will never survive 2900 and was designed for cast bullets in very specific applications usually with rifling designed for it.

2900 in a 308? I hate to even contemplate the pressures. I get 3100 with that same bullet on a 300 H&H which is a bit bigger. The max 308 load at
http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp
doesn't even get to 2800.

Your fingers, your eyes..........

Remember, copper jackets were made so we didn't HAVE to use paper patching.

Also remember, when you wrap something around your bullets you are going to be raising the chamber pressures.

Copper jackets don't compress as easily as lead. Making them larger and a tighter fit in the barrel is taking your life in your own hands.

If you are just determined to do this, use a caliber smaller bullet to experiment with. At least the barrel might not explode on the first shot.

But I still think it's a bad idea.

I'd heed Victor's warning, make sure you don't go too big with it.

A point to think about, what is the twist in your .308? What is the twist in the 7mm that people are using for the 162gr Amax? I don't shoot a 7mm, but my .308 is a 1/12 twist and my .260 is a 1/8.5 twist. There's no way my .308 would stabilize my 6.5 bullets.

A 7-08 barrel isn't that expensive, compared to a day or so in the hospital.

Thnx for safty warnings, trust me i will load low staring out.

Not really expecting this to work...but if it does

Most of my normal loads many think are insane but they work
ie 47.8varget 155scenar

I tinker enuff to know whats just plum crazy, thou RED pointed out something barrel twist making this mute even to attempt

I've seen the man do it..

2950fps with a 155 scenar in .308...

I have DONE it!... 2900+ with a 155 scnear in .308.

The loads are SAFE in OUR RIFLES...

My current load is:
47.4gr Varget
Win Brass
210 primer
155 lapua scenar
2.88 OAL

I did a ladder test up to 48.4gr before getting sticky bolt. It can be done, and we're not the only ones doing it...

YMMV

-Wil