• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Paralax at 50yds

Quickoz

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2010
Two Rocks, Western Australia
G'day all,

So in the never ending search for scopes for my Vudoo the last stumbling block I come to is the paralax distance. I know ideally, one wants 25yds or less. But in most scopes that Ive found which meet my other criteria (not too busy tree reticle, 28MIL elevation) the cost starts approaching over 4k AUD. If money is no object, a ZCO would be awesome but they are at least 5.7k AUD which is alot of money.

I've had my eyes on the Leupold Mark5HD 5-25x56 which ticks every box for me, but the paralax distance is 50yds. The 5-25 ATACR is the at 45yds. March 3-24x52 is perfect but the lack of decent reticle is an issue. The list goes on.

So my question is this, those of you with 50yd minimum paralax scopes. How much of an issue with it are you finding shooting below 50yds? How much power are you on and what power is enough for the 1/4in KYL?

NRL22 isnt here where I live yet but I want to be ready when I does. Precision 22LR is my play time and relaxation from F-Class Open competition.

parallax is reduced at lower magnification.
i don't know about 5-25 but my 3.6-18 is fine at 25yds below 11x or around there.

Reactions: PowellSixO
I can only comment on the Leupold Mark 5 5-25. I have one on my centerfire, but I did put it on my rimfire while I was waiting for my centerfire to come in. I shot exactly one NRL match with it and it came right back off and I went back to my Viper Gen II. It parallaxes well at 75 yards, but at 50 I started to struggle. We had a KYL at 30 yards, and I was really guessing where the .5 and .25 targets were.. For the KLY I was running about 12 power, and the Viper I use is a 3-15, its rarely maxed out.

A friend of my has one of the 3.6-18 Mark 5's, it is better, but still not quite as good as my Viper under 50.

Reactions: Baron23
The ATACR 7-35 has an 11yd parallax.

Lower Price -
NF NX8 4-32
Vortex Razor HD AMG

Athlon Cronus
Athlons Ares ETR
Yeah I've looked at all them. The 7-35 is nearly the price of the ZCO here. The NX8, just not sold on that large zoom range to be honest. Its alot to cram into that scope. Razor AMG is perfect, but again, 4.6K AUD. But thats the other scope Im looking at if needed.

The Athlons, just dont know about them to be honest. Heard horror stories and alike over the years.

The MK5 scopes I have tested correct parallax down to about 32-34 yards, 50 has never been a problem to have the target and reticle on the same focal plane.

I have an Athlon Cronus BTR (4.5-29x56 APRS6 FFP) sitting on the shelf while I wait for my Vudoo Three 60 to be delivered in a couple months.

Edit add: Parallax 25 yards to infinity.

I have a Steiner M5XI 5-25 that is a hard stop below 50. I find it very difficult to engage the KYL targets below 50.

It's been replaced with a Burris 3.3-18x and it's a great scope for the money.

TBH though, at the ranges you're shooting a .22 you don't really need that great of glass. I see plenty of people do well with strike eagles.

Reactions: Quickoz
Yeah I've looked at all them. The 7-35 is nearly the price of the ZCO here. The NX8, just not sold on that large zoom range to be honest. Its alot to cram into that scope. Razor AMG is perfect, but again, 4.6K AUD. But thats the other scope Im looking at if needed.

The Athlons, just dont know about them to be honest. Heard horror stories and alike over the years.
Newest Razor AMGs will only focus down to 30 yds. Older ones may or may not get down to 25 yds. Mine did not.

Gen 2 Razor 3-18 goes down to 25 yds. (in my 2 examples).

You can use the 4.5-27x Razor II at 25 yards by backing power to 20x. Can go in a little closer too.

That said take a look at the Strike Eagle to keep cost down and down to 15 yard parallax, a lot of elevation too.

dont let the 8x erector on the NX8 scare you. i doubt you'll spend much time below 8 or above like 25. hell i havent left 16x in a match in 2 years from 15y 22 targets out to 1200 centerfire

i've never missed a target cause i have a strike eagle on my 22 and not the razor

I just got in an Athlon helos and have been very impressed by it it has parallax adjust down to 10yds but is a little mismatched on top of a vudoo. Their cronus goes down to 25yds

The Strike Eagle does tick all the boxes in features, elevation, etc. And the price is right of course. I know the Vortex Warrenty is good but have also read about peoples issues with them too and having to be sent back, etc. Which being in Australia, means I'm without a scope for longer then guys in the USA. Id rather not have to use the warrenty. And I do understand that theres the same risk with any scope too.

Trust me, its being considered...

My razor Gen2 4.5-27 does the job just fine with the parallax down to 32 yards....but i have been looking at the NF ATACR....why? Because this is a rabbit hole sport...that's why LMAO

The link is to a very nifty parallax error calculator. You can use it to get a feel for the numbers you are looking at. You will not have a fixed parallax scope but that doesn't matter. Enter 50 and then calculate the error at the distances you are concerned about.

As other Athlon owners, I too came here to defend my scopes reputation.

My Cronus BTR works very well. I shoot 22LR and 223 with it.

I can recommend it and do.

I have thought of upgrading glass and next step will be ZCO after few years and one rifle

The Strike Eagle does tick all the boxes in features, elevation, etc. And the price is right of course. I know the Vortex Warrenty is good but have also read about peoples issues with them too and having to be sent back, etc. Which being in Australia, means I'm without a scope for longer then guys in the USA. Id rather not have to use the warrenty. And I do understand that theres the same risk with any scope too.

Trust me, its being considered...

The only issues I see is that the knobs don't line up perfectly when dialing and that is usually taken care of with a new knob dial which doesn't require the scope to go back. It also doesn't render the scope unusable so you can use the scope while waiting to get it. Just something to think about. If you are worried then just get a Razor II.

One of the Aus retailers was advertising S&B PM2 for similar money to what the Razor 2 goes for, I know what I'd be buying at that price.

Have you looked at the Burris xtr iii? I think it can be a solid option if it’s available to you.

I've had Athlon Cronus scopes on all my precision 22RF bolt rifles since 2016, and never had any issues or regrets. The glass & tracking/return to zero has always been excellent; slightly mushy turret clicks are the only gripe I've had, and the new Gen 2 UHD scopes fixed that by switching to the stainless steel erector guts, which give the same distinct/audible clicks that their Ares ETR/Midas Tac scopes have had for the past several years.

I don't know if you have access to Burris, but I just got a RT-25 I am about to mount. It is in the same price range as the Strike Eagle. There are a couple good videos on youtube, and I think an ausie does one of them.
Here it is,,,,,

Mike

I have a athlon Ares on my 22. and it does go down past 25 yards. the one problem i do have with it is that after you do a El adjustment with it the spring tension does NOT move the inside till after maybe the 2 or 3 shot. Easy get around thou, I just over adjust .2-.3 and then go to what i want. that seems to work.

I have a athlon Ares on my 22. and it does go down past 25 yards. the one problem i do have with it is that after you do a El adjustment with it the spring tension does NOT move the inside till after maybe the 2 or 3 shot. Easy get around thou, I just over adjust .2-.3 and then go to what i want. that seems to work.

I'd get them to warranty that.

Reactions: Baron23
Have you looked at the Burris xtr iii? I think it can be a solid option if it’s available to you.
I have looked at it. Unfortunatly, not quite enough elevation. Would prefer more like 28MRAD minimum.

Im going to have a look at a Delta Stryker HD 4.5-30x56 when I get home next.

I will certainly make sure that I get a scope that paralax short enough. That calculator made things very clear. I like it.

G'day all,

So in the never ending search for scopes for my Vudoo the last stumbling block I come to is the paralax distance. I know ideally, one wants 25yds or less. But in most scopes that Ive found which meet my other criteria (not too busy tree reticle, 28MIL elevation) the cost starts approaching over 4k AUD. If money is no object, a ZCO would be awesome but they are at least 5.7k AUD which is alot of money.

I've had my eyes on the Leupold Mark5HD 5-25x56 which ticks every box for me, but the paralax distance is 50yds. The 5-25 ATACR is the at 45yds. March 3-24x52 is perfect but the lack of decent reticle is an issue. The list goes on.

So my question is this, those of you with 50yd minimum paralax scopes. How much of an issue with it are you finding shooting below 50yds? How much power are you on and what power is enough for the 1/4in KYL?

NRL22 isnt here where I live yet but I want to be ready when I does. Precision 22LR is my play time and relaxation from F-Class Open competition.
I've tried quite a few scopes for NRL22 and my thought on the matter is thus- the most important features in a scope for that sport are parallax function and reticle capability. I want a scope that parallaxes down to 25 yards. Not, "it goes down to 50, but if you turn down the magnification it'll work." Those 1/4" targets can be unforgiving. I also want the focus to not be so bad that if I'm on a tight-for-time stage I can't set the parallax at a range in the middle of a 50 yard range and still see targets. For reticle, I prefer a Xmas tree AND I need to be able to easily see wind hold markings at 8-12×. If I have to turn the scope up to 15× to discern the reticle it's too thin. Plus doing so costs me fov and usually makes me take longer to find my target in the scope.

I also really need an elevation turret with tactile adjustment. Don't care how it sounds just need to be able to feel it.

Optical quality is behind all this. I want good optics but NEED these other features.

Finally, the coolest thing about NRL22 is it's designed to be shot anywhere with a minimal set up. So, set it up. Be the guy who puts it together. You need a 100 yard range, a few pieces of lumber, some buckets, and a set of steel targets. Should be able to recoup the expenditure in a match or two.

In addition to what I just wrote, here are the scopes I've personally used that I really like for NRL22:

Riton X7 4-32x56 (current choice, elevation turret started mushy, much more tactile now that it's worn in a bit)
Riton X5 5-25x50
Bushnell HDMR II-CR (Discontinued, but I'd bet Bushnell's Elite scopes that are going to be released in the future will have some 25yd paralax options)
Viper PST II 5-25×50

In addition to what I just wrote, here are the scopes I've personally used that I really like for NRL22:

Riton X7 4-32x56 (current choice, elevation turret started mushy, much more tactile now that it's worn in a bit)
Riton X5 5-25x50
Bushnell HDMR II-CR (Discontinued, but I'd bet Bushnell's Elite scopes that are going to be released in the future will have some 25yd paralax options)
Viper PST II 5-25×50
JaoeyP, thanks for your info mate. Id love to set NRL22 up at my local range but our range approval doesnt allow it to happen. I've already looked into this to confirm it all. Its to do with where the lead is caught in the butts mounds.

I'll have a look at the Ritons. I did look at them before but there was something holding me back. May have been the reticle or elevation adjustment. Will have to check again.

Reactions: JaoeyP
JaoeyP, thanks for your info mate. Id love to set NRL22 up at my local range but our range approval doesnt allow it to happen. I've already looked into this to confirm it all. Its to do with where the lead is caught in the butts mounds.

I'll have a look at the Ritons. I did look at them before but there was something holding me back. May have been the reticle or elevation adjustment. Will have to check again.
Yeah some don't like the reticle, but you can say that about any reticle. My 4-32x had really mushy turrets out of the box, but they go significantly better as they broke in. There is also a rubber o-ring under the turret that can be removed for a better feel. The 5-25x turrets were great out of the box.

Lots of recommendations for the Cronus on here. I think the optics are great for the money, but I found the reticle too thin (couldn't discern hold values below about 15x) and even it would parallax low enough, I found the parallax pretty finicky in the 50-100 yard range. If using it for long range/centerfire I really wouldn't have much to complain about the Cronus, I just found it difficult to use for NRL22 compared to other options.

Delta Javelin should also be an option to look at. Else you can’t go wrong with the Stryker.

JaoeyP - You brought up a couple of issues with the Cronus scope that I've kind of overlooked when talking about how much I like mine. Yes, the parallax is pretty touchy in the 25-100yd range, and I've talked with a few of the shooters about that at the matches I shoot. There are a couple of guys who're shooting behind NF ATACR 7-35x56 scopes, and they have the same issue with parallax. It's something that I'd assume is pretty prevalent in scopes at this level, if it weren't for my experience with several Kahles K624i scopes I have on my Bighorn comp rifles. I never have to worry about futzing with the parallax ring on them - I can set it at 600 and leave it throughout a PRS-style match, with shots from 300-1400yds. Maybe that has something to do with the fact that they don't focus closer than 50yds, but I think it's more likely that the optical design of the Kahles affords far greater depth of field. I'm not at all well-read when it comes to optical design, so won't presume to push theories when it's just my best guess. The K624i is a couple of inches longer than the Cronus, but whether that has anything to do with the increased depth of field or not, I can't say.

I've also got a single Athlon Ares ETR, but aside from mounting it briefly on one of my 40XB 22RF repeaters a couple of years ago, I've not done a comparison on how picky the parallax is compared to the Cronus. The reason I put it on the 40XB was that I felt the turret clicks/detents were slightly too distinct, and I figured running the elevation knob as much as would be needed when shooting with it on a 22RF in matches where we shoot from 25-300+yds would be a good workout for it, and would perhaps smooth the detents out a bit over time. After shooting with that scope on the 22 for a couple of months, either I got used to the very distinct clicks, or it did actually break-in a bit, and they got less distinct. Whatever, that scope's now mounted on a custom M70 in a Manners T4A with a Bartlein 1-7.5tw in 6x47Lapua, and it works quite well in that application.

As far as the reticle of the Cronus goes, I've still got a couple of the older, pre-BTR models with the heavier reticle, and have no issue seeing it well enough to use the reticle to hold off down to somewhere below 8x; the BTR's thinner + aiming point still allows very fine aiming with the scope set at max power; and I can still easily see the reticle hashmarks for hold off/over down to around 8x, but only if there's a light background. I have the Cronus BTRs mounted on both my V-22 repeaters, and they see a lot more use than the pre-BTR on a 40XB repeater. There's one Cronus with the APRS1 reticle mounted on a RimX; the floating dot is a bit too small to suit my old eyes when you back off top magnification, especially if you're shooting at a dark target. Personally, I wish Athlon had stayed with the + aiming point.

Reactions: JaoeyP
@flatland1 yeah I really liked the optics on the Cronus, but really found myself fighting that scope for NRL22.

I really think part of the issue is we're trying to use scopes designed for 1000 yard use on a 25-100 (and sometimes longer) course of fire. Until a manufacturer completely designs a NRL22 optic we're likely going to be using optics that won't quite check all the boxes. That said, there are of course plenty of good options, just no perfect in my opinion.

I had a ATACR 7-35 on my .22- found the field of view too small to find close in targets. Put a 4.5-27Razor on it- that worked great. Got a ZCO 420 now. Massive field of view, parallax not a problem. For me the perfect .22 scope.