• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes paralex adjustment

chadg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2009
foothills of the ozarks.
Ihave noticed on some scopes the paralex adjustment has set screws like the turrets.Does that mean you can look thruogh the scope at a known distance then set the paralex knob for that distance.
The reason i ask is ascope i just purchased was sighted in at 200yds.When i adjusted the paralex out the knob said about 110.

Re: paralex adjustment

Not that I have ever seen. The marks are there just to get you in the ballpark.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 467</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ihave noticed on some scopes the paralex adjustment has set screws like the turrets.Does that mean you can look thruogh the scope at a known distance then set the parallax knob for that distance.
The reason i ask is ascope i just purchased was sighted in at 200yds.When i adjusted the paralex out the knob said about 110. </div></div>

I understand the set screws are for setting infinity parallax. Once you set this of course, the numbers mean little and why some sights do not use numbers on parallax knob. My SS10X is not anywhere close to the adjust knob numbers.

That is true...and your internal optics (Mark 1 eyeball) and external optics interposed between Mark 1 and the scope (eyeglasses/shooting glasses) can change the apparent parallax. If you want to be on you have to adjust the knob while looking through the scope at the target.

The markings on the parallax knob are not meant to be used verbatim. Where in the knob's range the parallax error is removed will depend on where your diopter adjustment is set. Set the scope up for your eyes, sight in at 850 yards and set the parallax wherever it works for you. Then hand the scope to me, I adjust the diopter for my eyes, then set the parallax at the same target... the parallax knob will be at a different position. Just the way it is.

Air temp/density will also affect this—slightly—because it affects light transmission.

So... just ignore the numbers. Many newer scopes come without numbers. They just have a long triangle. And if you want, you can take a pencil and mark your distances on it for a quick-set.