• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Parallax a big deal?

skytrooper67

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2023
WNY
I know this has been beat to death. On a leupold VX 3HD 6.5x20x40 EFF with the parallax set correctly at 200 ydrs Zero at 12X. This is on a rem 700 .270 deer hunting rifle. Wood there be that big of a difference of POI say at 350/400yrds if parallax was left at 200? Wood changing the power to 20X or back to 6.5 make that big a difference? The numbers on the EFF are close to the actual range but not exact. I would just as soon leave the parallax set where it is and just worry about the range. I know this has been discussed many times. Thanks for any/all replies.. Rob

There are those more qualified than me that can chime in, but essentially parallax sensitivity varies from scope type to scope type. The VX is a hunting style scope with just a 3X ratio, so should be pretty forgiving parallax wise.

You can do some basic tests at the range with your 200y zero on a calm day. Shoot a couple groups at 6.5x and shoot a couple at 20x without changing parallax. Prior to shooting move your eye up and down and side to side a small bit while looking for a difference in you sight picture. If your poa appears to shift, then you need to consider it’s affect.

If the parallax is not set for each yardage, the potential variance for how far off you could be will vary greatly by how well you can keep your cheek rest and eye position in the same place with the scope.

Reactions: Terry Cross
If the parallax is not set for each yardage, the potential variance for how far off you could be will vary greatly by how well you can keep your cheek rest and eye position in the same place with the scope.
This does not really hold true for all scopes. Many are very forgiving. See my post above. Shooting matches with different scopes will teach you quickly that some scopes are much more finicky about parallax. There was a thread here this year wherein a well known and respected member that does scope reviews discussed this in detail.

On that rifle for that use if the scope is clear through your range of use when set at 200 you’ll be just fine. If you were bench resting it be one thing but for a set and forget 100-300 yard hunting rifle it will be fine

Reactions: lash
If your head position is consistent and centered and you're not introducing any parallax error, you won't notice a thing.

If you're cocked off to the side then you can introduce a huge error.

Set your parallax for 200 then sandbag the rifle pointed at 400. Move your eye around and see how much the reticle wanders around. That is your maximum margin of error with inconsistent head position.

Reactions: PappyM3 and lash