• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Parallax adj knob malfunction? Leupold Mk6 3-18 TMR

dcnyli

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
Took out my new Leupold Mk6 3-18 to the range today, and I think either i'm off or the scope is defective. When out at 200yds, the parallax adj knob doesn't really function, nor at 100yds too. I actually have to crank it all the way down hard to the 50yd and below to get a clear image

anyone else experience this? Sorry if i'm not 100% clear, just curious as wtf…

Doesn't sound right. My MK6 parallax adjustment works set at 50 yards for 50 yard targets

looks fine after going thru the instructions but the real test will be back out at the range... Could it be i was using too much magnification????

I often tend to err on the side of user error, being I am pretty new to precision shooting it's very possible I am the defective part in the chain.

The parallax on mine is correct. Does the reticle look like it is in focus?

yes

If I adjusted the parallax to the corresponding yardage, the image would get blurry/out of focus, but at 200yds if i cranked down past 50 it was clearer. I had to back off magnification and it would improve but not thinking that should happen. I am wondering if I can adjust the knob and somewhat "zero" it, but will not touch it prior to talking to Leupold Tech Support

also it was suggested by my vendor that it's possibly that the rings are too tight(torqued as per spec) or rings are misaligned, seekins low/med rings on EGW 20moa rail, again torqued to spec and scope mounted easily and was perfectly level... Gonna try and visit my LGS today and talk to them also, I hate to unmount and remount scopes...

If you cannot get the scope to focus on 18x at 200 yards at any setting on the parallax adjustment, the optic needs to take a ride to Leupold.

Joe

This may sound stupid, but does the knob have allen screws? If so, they may be loose, permitting the knob to turn, but only occationally turning the inner stem? Just checking.

If you cannot get the scope to focus on 18x at 200 yards at any setting on the parallax adjustment, the optic needs to take a ride to Leupold.

Joe

I'm calling tomorrow… I spent time mounting and zero'ing this scope and before i do anything I want to be sure i'm covered from the manuf.

This may sound stupid, but does the knob have allen screws? If so, they may be loose, permitting the knob to turn, but only occationally turning the inner stem? Just checking.

this is my thinking also, but there's 3 separate screws on this one knob where as the elev/windage have only one.

Took out my new Leupold Mk6 3-18 to the range today, and I think either i'm off or the scope is defective. When out at 200yds, the parallax adj knob doesn't really function, nor at 100yds too. I actually have to crank it all the way down hard to the 50yd and below to get a clear image

anyone else experience this? Sorry if i'm not 100% clear, just curious as wtf…

My VX-6 3-18mmX50 parallax was also a little off (set to 175 to get 100 in focus)! Simple solution was to take a .050 allen wrench, loosen up any one of the three allen screws, set the dial to correlate with the range I was using (100yds.), tightened all 3 screws, then all parallax adjustments fell into place! :D

Ted

this is my train of thought, but will not touch it till I speak to the manuf tomorrow. I plan on keeping this thread active with the whole process.

could the EGW aluminum base have any effect on this? steel barrel/aluminum base/steel rings? just thinking out loud.

just spoke to tech support, incredibly helpful. They said this is the first they have heard of this issue on a Mk6, but the fella offered to have me send it directly to his attention and he would get back to me incredibly fast. He mentioned the eyebox is very sensitive and this might be an issue for me, but I think I will send it in regardless to have them check it out, best case scenario is I am the problem(well best for scope, not for me) and if it's defective they will handle it

stay tuned..

Leupold tech just called me, has the scope in hand and there's definitely something funky with the parallax, he walked it down to the repair dept. and will be updating me once he hears back what's up. I opted to fedex it in so I can hopefully get it back sooner, quicker in/quicker out.... Just like taco bell

I sent mine back. The parallax would change every few shots and I wasn't getting good groups. Got a call today saying the replaced the entire erector assembly. Hope that fixed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll check mine too, but it seemed OK the first time to the range... parallax knob was firm, and seemed to be on track distance-wise...

Got a call today saying the replaced the entire erector assembly. Hope that fixed it. Tapatalk

Erector issue here too, they fixed it and I will have it back today actually, spent like 2 days at their factory, fast turnaround. I will report back once I get it back on the rifle and out to the range(probably within the next 2 weeks)

I will fwd you the #'s, I am thinking this was a batch error….. Either way they fixed it and hopefully we will both be 100% from here forward.