• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Parallax Adjustment needed for a tactical scope?

ruth

Private
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2010
I'm in process of getting a new scope and wanted to know at what magnification does parallax adjustment become necessary on a tactical scope?

Seems like this wasn't a big issue with military rifles and their scopes up until the M24 and M40A3 came along.

Re: Parallax Adjustment needed for a tactical scope?

Above 10. I don't think there is a hard and fast number that says above this you need parallax and below you don't. Most above 10 have it, most below 10 don't and those at 10 could go either way.

My 10X doesn't have it, but my 22X does. When shooting my 10X, I haven't noticed any parallax issues at all, although I've only shot it out to 300 yards. With the 22X, even when it's set on 5.5X, I can definitely see parallax issues when the focus isn't dialed in.

I don't know anything about scopes except that clearer is better, but from what I've seen 10X seems to be a dividing line.

IMO it depends on what you mean by a tactical scope. For a precision long range scope you may want enough magnification to require parallax adjustment. For a DMR I don't want it. It is another adjustment to make which takes time and is another variable to go wrong or forget.

I think the 10x opinion for parallax adjustment is pretty common.
Leupold makes a 4.5-14 without AO and I've seen a lot of negative comments about the lack of adjustment on an otherwise nice scope.
Everything I've got over 10x has it, and that includes Zeiss, Leupold, and NF scopes.

I use two Super Spiper 3-9 scopes out to 800 yards with no parralx problems. One is on a M1A NM the other is on a LMT MWS. 9X is enough magnafication for what I'm doing. I have used higher power scopes with both side and objective lens adjustments and find that they slow me down with an unneeded adjustment. If your application requires more than 10X you are stuck with parralax adjustments if not then avoid it.
[img

Uploaded with ImageShack.usimg]