• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Parallax Assist Lever?

flatland1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2005
Western Kansas
I've got a couple of 22RF 40X repeaters converted by jelrod, and have been shooting them this past season in local 22RF Precision Rifle matches. What a hoot! Lots of fun, no worries about policing your brass, much quieter & less fatiguing because of the reduced noise level. What's not to like?

I put Athlon Cronus 4.5-29x56 mil scopes (the original version, not the newer BTR) on both these rifles, and love how well these scopes work for me in this application. However, there's one fly in the ointment - the parallax knobs on all three of the Cronus scopes I have are very stiff & hard to turn. I've seen plenty of shooters put throw levers on their power rings on scopes, but all I've seen for the parallax knobs are the large wheels made by Scope Werks & others. Maybe something like that would work on a Cronus, but I think it'd just get in the way while maneuvering the rifle around props, ports, etc in PR matches, plus probably get beat to crap, and/or screw up the parallax turret in the process.

Anyone got a solution for the stiff knobs on Cronus scopes?

You can try a smaller zip tie. Some people have used the larger ones on power rings so it should would on the parallax adjustment. Just tighten it up and cut the tail off to the desired length or flush and the little nub should help.

I've got a couple of 22RF 40X repeaters converted by jelrod, and have been shooting them this past season in local 22RF Precision Rifle matches. What a hoot! Lots of fun, no worries about policing your brass, much quieter & less fatiguing because of the reduced noise level. What's not to like?

I put Athlon Cronus 4.5-29x56 mil scopes (the original version, not the newer BTR) on both these rifles, and love how well these scopes work for me in this application. However, there's one fly in the ointment - the parallax knobs on all three of the Cronus scopes I have are very stiff & hard to turn. I've seen plenty of shooters put throw levers on their power rings on scopes, but all I've seen for the parallax knobs are the large wheels made by Scope Werks & others. Maybe something like that would work on a Cronus, but I think it'd just get in the way while maneuvering the rifle around props, ports, etc in PR matches, plus probably get beat to crap, and/or screw up the parallax turret in the process.

Anyone got a solution for the stiff knobs on Cronus scopes?

You're a machinist aren't you? I bet you could make a wheel just the right size so it doesn't get in the way. The wheels I've used on other scopes are slightly loose in their fit over the parallax knob and attacked via allen screws on the wheel that when tightened are tensioning against the parallax knob and stays put. Knurl the grip on the wheel and GTG. You can also mark the wheel for distance to line up with 25Y, 50Y, 75Y and 100Y.

AADmount makes one for the SWFA 5-20. That scope's parallax suffers the same issue. Their solution was a rubber ring that gives you more grip to turn it. Like a pickle-jar opener.

steve123 - yep, I could make something like what scope werks offers out of aluminum round stock, and may wind up doing so. Up until I started this thread, I'd not seen scope-werks' website, but it appears that Eric makes a 2" wheel w/knurled surface that would probably work just fine. At least I've got an idea of what might work - or could try a cable tie with only a minute or two of dinking around invested.

After running a mag full of ammo through Jeremy's new V-22 rifle after his match this afternoon, I'm tempted to mount one of my remaining Ares 4.5-27x50 scopes on my V-22 after I get it barreled. I got three consecutive hits on a 2" swinger at 225yds with his rifle & Ares scope. Was very impressed with the clarity & clicks on the knobs on his scope - he likes it too. The parallax knobs on these scopes take about half the effort to turn compared to those of the Cronus.

steve123 - yep, I could make something like what scope werks offers out of aluminum round stock, and may wind up doing so. Up until I started this thread, I'd not seen scope-werks' website, but it appears that Eric makes a 2" wheel w/knurled surface that would probably work just fine. At least I've got an idea of what might work - or could try a cable tie with only a minute or two of dinking around invested.

After running a mag full of ammo through Jeremy's new V-22 rifle after his match this afternoon, I'm tempted to mount one of my remaining Ares 4.5-27x50 scopes on my V-22 after I get it barreled. I got three consecutive hits on a 2" swinger at 225yds with his rifle & Ares scope. Was very impressed with the clarity & clicks on the knobs on his scope - he likes it too. The parallax knobs on these scopes take about half the effort to turn compared to those of the Cronus.

We had a V22 at our NRL22 match yesterday as well. I put a mag full down range and was very impressed with it, it's nice and smooth.

On that 100Y paper stage I lucked out because I saw the first shot out in the white in the 1 ring, because I saw where I hit I was able to correct for wind, so the next four went into the 10, problem being I couldn't see that I was hitting in the 10. I use a S&B 3-20x50 but even so with my tired eyes 20x didn't have the resolving power needed. I think I'll put a Cronus BTR/29x on the Fortner or try to trade for a NF 7-35. I should borrow my wife's March 5-40 for next month

I can print one. There's no reason to machine a part like this..your cost is vastly more if you consider your time worth much at all. While I like milling stuff, I like surprising folks with printed products even more. After doing this heavily (current run 100+ print hours a day) I've invested in some very nice industrial FDM machines and use what we've found to be some of the strongest materials after a whole bunch of testing.

We are working on some milled levers for Athlon scopes and have them in hand now so a parallax lever would be something we can test hands on.

I can print one. There's no reason to machine a part like this..your cost is vastly more if you consider your time worth much at all. While I like milling stuff, I like surprising folks with printed products even more. After doing this heavily (current run 100+ print hours a day) I've invested in some very nice industrial FDM machines and use what we've found to be some of the strongest materials after a whole bunch of testing.

We are working on some milled levers for Athlon scopes and have them in hand now so a parallax lever would be something we can test hands on.

I have 2 Cronus scopes that could use a parallax throw lever too.

I'd like to see a prototype of a parallax lever for the Cronus scopes - bought another one during Cabela's sale, so have four of them needing this accessory.