• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Parallax going in and out of focus? Athlon Cronus G2

K2e2vin

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2014
Noticed weird issue today at the range. Scope is a Athlon Cronus G2 on a Tikka and was shooting 100yds. Anyways, noticed at 100yd the target was going in/out of focus. I thought it was just my eyes as I wear glasses but my buddy noticed the same thing(15/20 vision). The target was a bunch of ~2" black crosses on a white poster; normally I'd just use red crosses or a regular dot. Could this be the scope or is the target somehow playing tricks on our eyes? I'm kind of reluctant to blame the scope because if it was out of focus, wouldn't it just stay out of focus? Air temp was around 50-60F I believe...and barrel or scope never got hot. Adjusting parallax was just chasing focus. I've had the scope for about a year now, never noticed any issues. This is the first time I shot at black crosses though; so I'm wondering if black crosses with a black reticle does something??

I would suspect a problem with the scope itself.

See my thread chronicling the saga of frustration I had when dealing with Athlon and their sub standard product.

Call them and get an RMA and see if they will fix it. When you get it back, check it thoroughly.

I had 2 scopes with BAD glass imperfections. I went through 6 replacement scopes and never found one that was right.

I ended up writing it off as a loss and the cost of a good hard lesson to NEVER buy from Athlon again, as well as any other company with Chinese glass in their scopes.

Fuck commies and Athlon, cause they are in bed together just like Swalwell and Fang Fang.

Reactions: K2e2vin
What line of scopes were you using with these repeated problems? Dollars to donuts it wasn't a Cronus.

ITs not likely to be a scope problem. Something inside the scope would have to be physically moving to make it go in and out of focus. I would think its more likely your reticle isn't quite focused right. Or at least that is where I would start my trouble shooting on this one.

Reticle was clear the whole time for both of us. It was the crosses on the target themselves that would be clear then blurry. But yeah, the fact that nothing on the scope was moving makes me reluctant to blame the scope. I guess I'll try again with different targets first.

This^^^^when it is cold out mirage from a hot barrel makes life a real bitch. It makes the image go in and out of focus. It is difficult to shoot long strings in cold because of the mirage. In warmer weather the effect is not as pronounced because the difference in temp between the barrel and the atmosphere is smaller.

Also, getting the diopter set correctly on a ffp scope can be somewhat difficult, especially if you are used to using sfp scopes. With some optics, it can be quite difficult and be the difference between Tasco image quality and impressive image quality.

As an example, I have an old xtr2 4-20 that is like that. With the diopter slightly off the image was horrible. With it set correctly, I was able to see things my buddy could not see with his Razor G2 4-27. We actually sent the razor in because of this and they sent it back and said it was in spec.

It is also possible, but not likely, that something internal is messed up. Your brain will bring the image into focus even when it is not, which makes it appear to go in and out of focus.

Thanks guys. Looked through it today and seemed fine. It's still cold but I had it off the gun. I was thinking mirage but we were at an indoor range(no climate control but they do have air recirc/vent for fumes)....but I did switch to a thin fluted barrel so that makes sense too. I'm just happy not having to send the scope out.