• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Parallax Markings

shqipe

Private
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2007
Indiana
Sorry, this is not brand specific. Are factory parallax markings generally accurate on decent scopes? Would it be unwise to rely on the factory markings for known-distances?

Re: Parallax Markings

Most of the time they are just for reference.I havent seen any yet that are spot on....Dont pay any attention to the numbers just adjust until the sight picture is clear....

I believe the optimum setting for any distance changes with occular focus adjustment. Because of this, there is no way to guarantee correct markings.
They are not intended as a ranging tool, but as a quick way to adjust parallax "near" the optimim setting when you know the distance.

Thank you. How much would I expect the POI to shift in ranges 100-500 yards if the sight picture is clear, but the parallax is not precisely where it should be? Am I sweating the small stuff? Is getting the most crisp sight picture sufficient?

The settings on my S&B are pretty darn close. I made some marks on my Premier to get me close if I'm in a hurry , racing the clock:

IMG_2718.jpg

The adjustment is there to allow you to dial out movement of the reticle as your eye moves around to anywhere but dead center of the scope. If you don't want to dial, pull your head back until you see a shadow around the perimeter of the sight picture and move your head until the shadow is the same thickness around the picture.

If your eye is centered, there is no parallax error.
If you are adjusting the objective for a clear sight picture alone, you are not using it for the reason it was put there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shqipe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you. How much would I expect the POI to shift in ranges 100-500 yards if the sight picture is clear, but the parallax is not precisely where it should be? Am I sweating the small stuff? Is getting the most crisp sight picture sufficient? </div></div>

Yes you are.You are trying to put way too much thinking into it.
Your best bet is just shoot at different ranges from 100 to how ever far you intend on shooting.Keep track of every shot you make.you then can figure out your own dope.....I dont have any idea what your poi changes would be.....what caliber are you shooting?what bullet?what weight?
It sounds to me like you need the help of a good ballistic calculator.your question is very vague.
just my .02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The adjustment is there to allow you to dial out movement of the reticle as your eye moves around to anywhere but dead center of the scope. If you don't want to dial, pull your head back until you see a shadow around the perimeter of the sight picture and move your head until the shadow is the same thickness around the picture.

If your eye is centered, there is no parallax error.
If you are adjusting the objective for a clear sight picture alone, you are not using it for the reason it was put there. </div></div>

agreed.

Thank you again, gentlemen.

Sorry if my question about POI shift was not clear. I was referring to the shift caused by parallax error, not the shift as influenced by ballistics. However, I'll take your advice and stop overthinking it.
smile.gif

1. Hardly ever.

2. Yes.

That's why I like my WoTAC scope. Its side-adjustment parallax knob can be re-set just like the elevation and windage knobs.

First thing I did when I got back from the first shooting session was adjust the knob about 10 yards worth for *my* parallax-free 100-yard setting.

Next time, I'm going to "zero" the parallax for 500 yards, then see how close it is on the other markings. If not, no worries--I'll just get out my thin Sharpie.

I calibrate everything I have that's adjustable and has a scale on it, or at least confirm how far off it is. Most cars I've had are 2.5-3.5 mph faster on the speedometer at 75 than the actual ground speed is.

Trust, but verify, gentlemen!