• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Parallax Problem - Excited then disappointed - Vortex Viper PST FFP 6-24x50mm

WookieeLord

Private
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2014
I finally received my scope (after my other order for the EBR-2C was canceled). I went ahead and ordered the MRAD EBR-1 style since there was no backorder. Well I got it today and I mounted it. Very carefully and 25in/lbs as recommended by warne. I leveled it with several different methods and then I went to try and adjust the parallax. Thats when things went eh. I was able to turn the parallax knob part of the way then it was very difficult with a lot of resistance. Then it just clicked a little and turned all the way around. Looks like i'll have to send out a brand new $900 scope which is highly disappointing considering everything I've heard about their PST line. Below is the link to the video I made.

Parallax Problem w/ Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm EBR-1 FFP - YouTube

**I actually am thinking of just the RMA "exchange" through Opticsplanet.com where I ordered it from. It looks like they will give you a free return shipping label as well. I really don't want this one refurbed, I would prefer a brand new scope.

**I actually am thinking of just the RMA "exchange" through Opticsplanet.com where I ordered it from. It looks like they will give you a free return shipping label as well. I really don't want this one refurbed, I would prefer a brand new scope.

Not a bad idea. No reason to pay shipping costs you shouldn't. IMHO, a scope that's dead out of the box should be replaced at zero cost to you - the warranty is for something that fails after some period of working correctly. That's purely an opinion. However, I know of several retailers that honor DOA returns at no shipping cost to the customer, so I can't be too crazy.

Yeah, I was just looking at Opticsplanet.com and I am going to do a return/exchange. I've never used them before and some places make you pay for turn shipping. I'm impressed with their return RMA process online and the fact it automatically gives you a return shipping label when you finish.

I spoke with Vortex and some mounts cause issues. Try a lighter torque setting on the front ring and move the scope back and the mount forward if you can.
Pat

I spoke with Vortex and some mounts cause issues. Try a lighter torque setting on the front ring and move the scope back and the mount forward if you can.
Pat

I'm assuming the Parallax setting it held within the ball (bell housing I guess you call it) where the turrets are. I had a 2 piece remington 700 base which forced me to put my front ring closer to the turrets. I guess I'll switch back over to my single piece weaver rail. Thanks for the heads up. I am getting an exchange from Opticsplanet so I will at least be a little more aware when i receiver the new scope.

I'm assuming the Parallax setting it held within the ball (bell housing I guess you call it) where the turrets are. I had a 2 piece remington 700 base which forced me to put my front ring closer to the turrets. I guess I'll switch back over to my single piece weaver rail.

The area in the middle of the scope that houses the turrets is called the saddle. The bell is the front end of the scope where it gets wider for the objective lens.

Two piece bases on a Remington (or many other brands) can be an issue. Frequently the bases will not be on the same plane with each other (one sits lower or higher) due to variations in both receiver height and base dimensions. If you tighten a scope down on bases that aren't in the same plane you may bend the scope tube, and that can cause internal issues. You can check, with the scope off, just by looking closely at the bases from the rear, or using the edge of a steel ruler. A one-piece rail will often do better, but they can also be bent out of straightness for the same reasons, which is why many people will bed the rail with epoxy to make sure it sits flat and straight, without being bowed or unintentionally angled. I don't know that this is an issue with your specific rifle, but I would inspect for it before putting a replacement scope on.

my pst 2.5-10x32 showed up with the elevation turret all out of wack. i called vortex up and they were very helpful. i ended up with a new scope sent next day air, after a little sweet talkn! they gave me a pre paid shipping label, once ups picked up the package and it showed there was progess, vortex went ahead and shipped the new scope, honestly couldn't ask for more from anyone customer service wise. new scope showed up perfect.
another time i purchased a vortex razor with the high speed turrets, when i got the scope i didnt like that aspect as much as i thought, they let me switch it out for the regular version.

When installing a brand new scope no matter the maker, install and torque the rings to spec in front and right behind the saddle while both rings and scope are OFF the base. Work all the knobs, any binding at all, do not install the scope/rings to the base until the problem is corrected.

Awesome. Appreciate it. Yeah, i've installed a few scopes but never really thought much into it. I have always tried to follow torque specs though. Thanks for all the feedback. It'll help once I get my replacement.

After removing the scope to return, test the parallax before sending it back. If it works correctly, the problem could be in the mount as others have mentioned. And if it is, another scope of the same design might have the same problem if the same mount is used.

I actually went ahead and tested it before I boxed it up. I think they say something like.. "Great minds think..." ;) It does it as well. I even used only 20in/lbs of torque to prevent any dmg to the scope when mounted as well so I doubt it could be from the pressure from the mounts. Unfortunately it is just one of those things that happens. I'll get a replacement and call it a day. Sucks because I really wanted to go shooting this week but eh, what can ya do!

I was looking around online and the torque wrench I bought awhile back was one of those cheap Harbor Freight ones that you unscrew on the bottom and then turn for the right torque setting (1st one i've ever used as well) Well I just never felt right about the settings on those so I went ahead and bought one of the Wheeler FAT Wrenches on Amazon for $50 bucks new. It looks like getting the correct torque setting will be more precise on it and more worth it in the end. I'm going to use it to check my Rem700 AAC-SD action bolts as well and pray they aren't crazy over torqued if that is the case.

LAP YOUR RINGS. I really cant stress that enough. and vortex only recommends 15 inlbs. I see you have that one figured out though good luck and happy hunting.