• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Parker Hale M85

jwSubMOA

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
May 13, 2010
Mississippi
Howdy! I've accumulated all the parts to build a M85 except for a receiver. Numrich had been selling unfinished castings but they are all gone. Does anyone have one of them stashed that you would part with? Thanks!

Re: Parker Hale M85

i also have a parker hale m85. mine is ready for finishing, i.e. time/finish threading barrel, bed action, decide what action coating (probably dura/cera coat), install sights and numerous other tasks. Keep me informed on your progress. A little bird named marty (the owner of badger ordnance) directed me to a place named norman clark over in the UK. I ordered a number of parts from them, VERY helpful. Hope you have a scope mount though, i bought them out.

READ THE RULES. DO NOT POST LINKS TO OUTSIDE SALES ESPECIALLY GUN BROKER.

No it's a heavily reinforced, closed top action. The Mark X is simply a commercial Mauser action. The picture below is an M86 action, the M85 is even more modified than this.

I see. Thanks. I was looking at a photo of a m85, and the bolt shroud looked very similar to a Interarms Mark X.

Here's a pic of a Parker Hale M85 action , and its nothing like a std mauser 98 in anything other than the bolt .

DSC03235.jpg

DSC03233.jpg

DSC03237.jpg

Those are good photo's. I like the integral mounts, and the bolt guide rib.

Is that a pop up peep sight nestled on the rear bridge??

Yeap here's a bad pic of the rear iron sight folded down , the front sight is taken off the L7A1 GPMG/MAG58 machinegun .

DSC06965.jpg

Thanks for the photo's. So it has a peep with elevation adjustments. I really like the idea of being prepared in case of optics failure. Looks like the designers really thought this one through. Especially with the metal ears that stick up to protect the peep, that is something we see on the old 1917 Enfield.

Is the Parker Hale M85 a cast or forged receiver???

that is areally cool rifle and well sought out.
congrats to the lucky owners.

I think its a cast action , yeap I think its quite a well thought out design , what you cannot see is the fact it has a longer tunion/thread in to better support heavier barrels etc , takes the double stack/feed 10rd M14 type mag & a McMillan " McHale " stock or a wooden version of it .

I took me a while to find one , and I feel very lucky to actually hav e IT , the main problem I have with the system is its special scope mounts are made for the 1 inche/ 26mm older sniper scopes etc , as I want to use the more modern 30mm tac scopes on IT.

The original 1 inche job , I sent to the USA to a guy called Mark Lammers , he said he would machine a exact 30mm version for me , I paid him for IT , and have not seeen it or my original mount in several years .
So I am down the original and in the hole for a few hundred as well , and thats the only reason its not getting used at the moment .

Another thing that you donot see , unless you have actually used one or have real knowledge of the M85 , is the special 2 stage trigger that was especially designed just for the M85 , and its a fantastic trigger .

Its quite a trim ( light weight ) & compact sniper rifle , with just whats needed & nothing else .

Of the 308 rifles I have , the 2 I valuve above all others are my AW & my M85 both fantastic SWS .

Later Chris

I also have a Parker Hale M87 repeater that I am building into a Canadian C3A1 replica , I have all the original parts except for the scope it used a Unertl 10x scope that was camed in metres , I am going to use a USO MST100 ( thats camed in yards ) instead of the Unertl .
Also will try to build a Parker hale M82 C3 , they where used by Aussie & Kiwis .

Yeap , i rather like my PHs .

Later Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think its a cast action , yeap I think its quite a well thought out design , what you cannot see is the fact it has a longer tunion/thread in to better support heavier barrels etc , takes the double stack/feed 10rd M14 type mag & a McMillan " McHale " stock or a wooden version of it .

I took me a while to find one , and I feel very lucky to actually hav e IT , the main problem I have with the system is its special scope mounts are made for the 1 inche/ 26mm older sniper scopes etc , as I want to use the more modern 30mm tac scopes on IT.

The original 1 inche job , I sent to the USA to a guy called Mark Lammers , he said he would machine a exact 30mm version for me , I paid him for IT , and have not seeen it or my original mount in several years .
So I am down the original and in the hole for a few hundred as well , and thats the only reason its not getting used at the moment .

Another thing that you donot see , unless you have actually used one or have real knowledge of the M85 , is the special 2 stage trigger that was especially designed just for the M85 , and its a fantastic trigger .

Its quite a trim ( light weight ) & compact sniper rifle , with just whats needed & nothing else .

Of the 308 rifles I have , the 2 I valuve above all others are my AW & my M85 both fantastic SWS .

Later Chris </div></div>

Chris, I have been schooled on the Model 85 thanks to you. It does not surprise me that the this receiver has a longer thread to support heavier barrels. The size of that front ring is very long.

You already answered my next question which was about the scope rings.

I don't know who Mark Lammers is. Does he have a business here in the US?? I imagine those rings are hard to come by. Sorry this happened to you!!

Yeap , he is in the USA , and is known mainly over on Mels snipercentral forums , and hes not the only American business to fail me .
Still 7k in the hole due to the VR-1 action/rifle saga , as well as JW precision , to me it appears to be a growing trend from my point of view .

So far I have had no problems with companies in Russia , UK , Germany , Holland , its only been US companies that have stolen my money .

Later Chris

The PH action are investment cast and are very strong. ChrisF I remember seeing a thread on SC about making your 30mm mount, that really sucks!

Guys
Quick solution for 30MM rings is to use the OLD Warne Brno 19mm QD rings - the ones that were machined not MIM'd

I had a few sets back when before I sold all but one of my M85s. There is a shooter on the East Coast that has bought almost everything I had (tooling, parts and rifles) - I believe he is planning to finish out the receiver castings he got from NA and Numrich. Prior to the PH sell off I had a bunch and believe Chris' one came from over my way IIRC.

Fun and very fine rifles. If you are in need of parts etc drop me a note with what you need

John / old co was Tacticalstocks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Yeap , he is in the USA , and is known mainly over on Mels snipercentral forums , and hes not the only American business to fail me .
Still 7k in the hole due to the VR-1 action/rifle saga , as well as JW precision , to me it appears to be a growing trend from my point of view .

So far I have had no problems with companies in Russia , UK , Germany , Holland , its only been US companies that have stolen my money .

Later Chris </div></div>

Chris, when was the last time you contacted Mark Lammers??? Why hasn't he returned your property???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WhiteCliffsOfDover</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Later Chris </div></div>

What happened to jw precision?
Chris, when was the last time you contacted Mark Lammers??? Why hasn't he returned your property???

</div></div>

I thought i'd register to just show off my recent acquisition
grin.gif

ul1.jpg

ul2.jpg

ul3.jpg

ul4.jpg

Not really brilliant, i've only put 12 rounds through it, so i'm not all that familiar with the rifle. I shot it at 300m and it was holding a group about 150mm in size, but, the scope is certainly not good for accurate <span style="font-style: italic">target</span> shooting.

I'm planning on changing the barrel, since i don't want to wear that one out. As far as I'm concerned though, i bought it as a collectable rifle, not a target shooter so to speak (i could have done much better for the amount i spent), so i'm not particularly fussed, as long as it holds a group.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think its a cast action , yeap I think its quite a well thought out design , what you cannot see is the fact it has a longer tunion/thread in to better support heavier barrels etc , takes the double stack/feed 10rd M14 type mag & a McMillan " McHale " stock or a wooden version of it .

Later Chris </div></div>

I suggest you contach Mark Lammers. His business had a computer crash and he has lost your address. He has been waiting for you to contact him in regards to your mounts. He has both. 740-815-2258 or [email protected].