• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Parker Hale M85

terrygood

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2009
Atlantic city NJ
Does anyone have an idea on what one of these would go for? I know someone who wants $8,500 for one. It was imported by Navy arms of NJ in 1987. It was bought in 1989 for around $2,900. A Swavorski ZFM 10 power was also bought at the same time. The whole package is Gun, metal case, sights,3 mags, scope, and base for $8,500. The stock is a urban camo McMillan. Any info would be appreciated.

Re: Parker Hale M85

Terry,
My "issued" rifle back in the mid '80s was a PHM85 standard on it back then was a low power S&B scope, it also had fixed sights. I'm sure you can research them all over the web. My thoughts are if someone paid over $3000. for one in excellent and original condition they would be crazy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MSG Janoski</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Terry,
My "issued" rifle back in the mid '80s was a PHM85 standard on it back then was a low power S&B scope, it also had fixed sights. I'm sure you can research them all over the web. My thoughts are if someone paid over $3000. for one in excellent and original condition they would be crazy. </div></div>

They were never a very expensive rifle to begin with. I would say that less than $3000 sounds about right.

I have seen them with full transit case, mags, scope, bipod etc for that price, but equally I have seen them for the price you quote.

For that money, do what the British Army did, buy the Accuracy International instead! (The PH was in competition against the AI, didn't stand a chance!)

Neil

That is exactly what he wants to do with me. He wants to trade my AIAW with S&B 4-16 lit for his PH set up. I am thinking that it may not be a good deal? I know what I have with my AI and what I paid for it.

I would say that is a terrible deal for you, but a great deal for him. I wouldn't even consider parting with an AIAW for the Parker Hale setup. While both are good rifles...the PH doesn't hold a candle to the AI. Not even close!!!

There's not much to them, commercial Mauser action like the TX1200, fat barrel and different stock. I have an original, brand new wood stock if you want to build one up, never got around to modifying one of my TX1200 rifles.

Having used both and owning AI's now - I have to say that even contemplating this deal is slightly flaky.

You already know how good the AI systems are. While a PH M85 is in itself not a bad thing - it in no way compares. Basically you have a 100 year old design mauser action in a McMillan stock with a set of iron sights off a Lee Enfield # 4. The PH scope mounts are probably all but pure unobtainium now.

No user change barrel or slick action with this one mate. Let the fella sell it for his $8500 if he can & keep your AI close at hand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Monkeyman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's not much to them, commercial Mauser action like the TX1200, fat barrel and different stock. I have an original, brand new wood stock if you want to build one up, never got around to modifying one of my TX1200 rifles. </div></div>

The M85 receiver is a fairly heavily modified Mauser action. It's a lot sturdier than the 1200 series of receivers.

The far left receiver is an M86/M87, the other four are M85 receivers (all need final machining).

PHrec2.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mexican match</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are the barrels press fit? </div></div>No Sir. Mauser threads. SARCO was selling the actions/barrels and parts back in 04/05/06. Bought one of the actions. Investment cast. Not that is a bad thing. Just seemed alittle crude. Gave it to a bro that had more time for the project than I did.

The barrels are Mauser threads as usmcMT says, however the M85 action has a longer trunnion than the standard Mauser by about .3 inches. So barrels already machined for a more standard Mauser action will NOT fit in these.