• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Parkerizing or blasting for coating prep?

Nocalphoenix

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2008
Montana
I have been blasting everything with alum ox and had a friend ask about use the duracoat parkerizing solution as a prep for various coatings. I understand the concept of giving the coatings something to hang on to but is the parkerizing better or equal to blasting? This would be for both duracoat and cerakote finishes.

Re: Parkerizing or blasting for coating prep?

I've built a bunch of semi-auto's and I always glass bead, then park and on many I follow up with KalGard Gunkote. The park gives it a good surface to adhere to and is a failsafe for the inevitable scrapes and scratches that will come with a gun that is used.

Sandblast the parts to get a dense parkerized finish, use a 60 or 80 AlOx grit. Glassbeading won't give you as dense of parkerizing because the beads create a lower surface roughness.

on the topic, any lead on where is a reputable establishment that one may get such a treatment in the northeast corridor?

Thanks guys, for some reason my buddy does not like the idea of blasting his rifle and wanted to try the duracoat phos parkerizing. I do not have all the gear for park jobs but this is supposed to just brush on and give the metal a nice etching. I might try it on some blank steel and see how it goes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 051F</div><div class="ubbcode-body">on the topic, any lead on where is a reputable establishment that one may get such a treatment in the northeast corridor? </div></div>

We can do the blasting and either zinc or magnesium parkerizing for firearm components up to 46" long.

We're within driving distance of Harrisburg (8 miles south of Martinsburg down I-81).

Well you have to remove the old finish down to clean metal before using any type of phosphate for a good end result...you can sand with 220 paper, but abrasive blasting is the better way to do it.

I wouldn't recommend doing anything but thorough degreasing as prep for anodizing like on an AR receiver though.

TC

051F,

Look at the string on Durakote guns. It evolves into a pretty comprehensive blasting discussion.

Degrease, blast with #120 alum.oxide. Glass beads tind to polish the surface of the metal. The parking is to add an extra bit of bite for the coating as well as add to the corrosion protection for the metal. You don't have to park before you coat though.