• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Parkerizing Problems

jacq220

Sergeant
Minuteman
Just tried to parkerize my first shotgun barrel... blasted, rinsed, degreased, rinsed, parked, then submerged in water displacing oil... the finish looks speckled... what did i do wrong? I can post pics if need be.

Re: Parkerizing Problems

i am thinking now the batch wasnt seasoned properly... second attempt turned out pretty good... still some dark streaks (very faint)

i think these are from taking to long going from the park tank to my hot water rinse tank... anyone else care to chime in?

What kind of Parkerizing kit or solution are you using? Sometimes parkerizing is done progressively like when you blacken stainles steel. The are removed from the solution and brushed. Then the solution can also be agitaded or stirred to prevent buildups.

When I get streaks or spots it's because I didn't get the parts into the post-park rinse tank quick enough. I agree with your thoughts here -

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i think these are from taking to long going from the park tank to my hot water rinse tank... anyone else care to chime in? </div></div>

Did you season the solution before you started?
Place a fine steel wool pad in the solution before you park.

I do this to a new batch.

I get a steaked or speckled finish sometimes. I really do not know why. When it happens, do not put your parts in the water displacing oil. Rinse them in cold water and bead blast them again to an even finish (you do not have to remove all of the old parkerizing), rinse the media off in running water, soak them in hot Dicro for about 3 or 4 minutes, rinse and parkerize them again. They usually come out perfect the second time. I have actually started to do this process with all of my parkerizing. I get very good results. Just be careful to not touch the parts with your bare hands after blasting them. Use stainless wire hangers to lift and transfer between blaster and tanks. BTW, are you rinsing in cold, running water after the degreaser? If so, are you pre-heating the part/s in hot water before putting them into the parkerizing solution? Putting the cold part in hot parkerizing solution may be causing spots.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JACQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just tried to parkerize my first shotgun barrel... blasted, rinsed, degreased, rinsed, parked, then submerged in water displacing oil... the finish looks speckled... what did i do wrong? I can post pics if need be. </div></div>

If by "speckled" you mean the tiny little crystalline bright sparkling spots all over, that will occur if you leave the parts in the solution too long, or when the solution is too strong.

A weaker solution or older solution won't do that, but it can be knocked off with really light strokes with #0000 steel wool or a fine 3M green pad. Some consider that over parked, some guys like that effect. Post some pics if you want to.

TC