• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos Parkers Revenge to Ebenezer Fiske House

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    A lot of shit happened in this area so there are a lot of pictures...I couldnt make it through the woods from Parkers Revenge as the colonists did....too many residences and "No Tresspassing" signs. I cut back down to the road and came into the back yard of the Whittemore House

@gayguns any relation...

637KGrVl.jpg

Looking toward the west and Parkers Revenge area...

77WPoATl.jpg

LFJlmE6l.jpg

The road east....

0MfyDzel.jpg

Fields such that the whole area probably looked like...

K0J8n1dl.jpg

BYnmftGl.jpg

This stone marks a black smiths shop that was on the road...

DyYv8Fal.jpg

A depression in the ground is all that shows it was there....

AV0uukil.jpg

Last edited:
    This feature was significant....its kind of an odd rock for the area, reminds me of something southwestern...it looks much like it did in 1775. The dirt road you see follows the original route and the modern road was laid to the right of it....

IrIGkQvl.jpg

From up on top of the bluff where the colonists could have shot the column in the face...The Blacksmith's shop is in the little stand of hardwood.....

A1cV7f4l.jpg

The Bluff is the end of a stretch of high ground that heads north and bounds the west side of the road....the colonists peppered the column from the high ground...

The Old road below the Bluff..

w2Ix6V4l.jpg

The road turning north in front of the Bluff..

GR7TBH4l.jpg

zTO2v78l.jpg

Across from the Bluff is wetland....Im thinking what is now wetland today back than was impenetrable swamp...

FBAxgAUl.jpg

The Bluff from the north side....

W4MzPWpl.jpg

Across the street from the Bluff...

19PeKF4l.jpg

After turning north the road is bordered by high ground to the west...

bWnCRs0l.jpg

and to the east....

NbHXItul.jpg

There would have been no trees, just clear fields of fire.

Last edited:
    Fiske Hill to the East...

gXoKX2Kl.jpg

The Colonists moved along the top of the hill firing at the column. Its not mentioned much but the hill on the west side of the road was likely full of marksman also...

Between the Bluff and Fiske House the column started to lose their shit, discipline began to break down with heavy fire coming from both sides of the road.

A Brit flag on top of Fiske Hill, no stone so I dont know if it marks the grave of a flanker...

CpoBjB8l.jpg

Top of Fiske Hill looking west toward the road, now covered with trees...

nTfTZkol.jpg

From Fiske Hill looking down on the road at a section where the Old Road leaves the new road and goes back to the historical bed...

hwP2S2Hl.jpg

How the heights would look to the Brits...

G0h9yPsl.jpg

O1pltI1l.jpg

The trees screw up the idea of it, even worse when leaves break out, Things would have looked more like the cleared field but where the forest is the ground is even more broken and better for cover...

oVIjyz0l.jpg

From the hill where the colonists would have been firing on the column

1KWWciel.jpg

Last edited:
    Getting back on the Road...

bxzaIuHl.jpg

On the west side of the road extends the ridge from the Bluff...

3kGDC0Ol.jpg

This is probably legit Old Road stone edging, most of the other is rebuilt...

JulGUhsl.jpg

New Road and Fiske Hill to the east....

nyEg9m1l.jpg

nX8jxQXl.jpg

MB1bbJFl.jpg

ymBYUK6l.jpg

7bpNlk3l.jpg

1aKu5jcl.jpg

Old Road joins with new, Fiske Hill to east...

0e0z0jOl.jpg

Leaving new to the original bed...

uml87Zhl.jpg

Fiske Hill....

1IDLJNLl.jpg

Old Road...

LXssjxNl.jpg

0xdZQCYl.jpg

Twelve miles to Boston Harbor...

VlEEYhMl.jpg

A bit of high ground where the ridge of Fiske Hill ties in to the Old Road....would have been a good place to shoot the column in the face....

L44JTDjl.jpg

Where the Old Road crosses the new to get to the Fiske Property...

t0HVo8Dl.jpg

Burial area for Brit soldiers that died on the Fiske property...

BT8W1U1l.jpg

Looking at the Old Road from the Fiske property...

00K2LCbl.jpg

Road leading to Fiske House

35N5RHdl.jpg

aWfqC8Ol.jpg

The remains of the well beyond the stone...

PwHy431l.jpg

runAYhil.jpg

Zl9qFn3l.jpg

0uFRwqLl.jpg

B4luxKwl.jpg

tsT52KKl.jpg

cjjQXucl.jpg

FIrUx2Tl.jpg

Remains of the Fiske House...

VpO9AOml.jpg

9CNV6b6l.jpg

IeB5Fbtl.jpg

sRb3wGDl.jpg

10VIYbHl.jpg

cNKYPtcl.jpg

nDJuLQHl.jpg

Heading back west the ridge that follows the road and dead ends at the Bluff....

EuWXOKfl.jpg

Flankers would have had a hard time clearing that shit and the continual rotation exhausted everyone over the course of the retreat.

At the visitor center....would you expect Federal workers to drive anything else....

rkkfJRfl.jpg

2qQYUt5l.jpg

eDhnA2Yl.jpg

Some of the few displays in the center...

FUhotdAl.jpg

glNPsSpl.jpg

a18mYwrl.jpg

j3YMXvRl.jpg

Unsure what the provenance is of this Brown Bess, pretty neat if it is legit, doubt it was owned by a Pvt.

xUHRHw0l.jpg

aGGjIszl.jpg

42fMmnNl.jpg

Details of the Smith House..

3a9OsGbl.jpg

GbD2Cd2l.jpg

UYVgfa4l.jpg

03nHDvOl.jpg

Hand forged nails, unsure if these are original, when they restored the Hartwell Tavern the saugus Iron Works provided new hand forged nails...

DgMCU1Cl.jpg

y3zwhdGl.jpg

k6aEbb7l.jpg

I have asked rangers at the park if any trees exist from April 19, 1775 in the park and was told no....This big bastard couldnt have been born much later....

ex2ju3ll.jpg

Hartwell Tavern, Usually a scene of a lot of activity on April 19.....nothing. To scared of WuFlu to honor guys that risked all.

q0ODsg3l.jpg

Last edited:
    In the fireplaces/chimneys of the Hartwell House and Smith House, do all of the little inner hearths vent into a central flue? Or, are they more of a warming pocket without holding a fire?

Some are fuel storage, some are bee hive ovens...probably could of made fantastic pizza in the day.

That was a lot of radiation once you got it heated up.

Reactions: Jonny_
    Some are fuel storage, some are bee hive ovens...

That was a lot of radiation once you got it heated up.

Huh, how bout that; I wouldn't have guessed it would be for fuel storage but it makes sense. I appreciate the links.

Huh, how bout that; I wouldn't have guessed it would be for fuel storage but it makes sense. I appreciate the links.

Check out the pics....if you see sloping brick leading up to the next feature above I believe that is the flue receding back behind the chimney above where it than opens to take the smoke from the chimney above.

In a picture of the Smith House one of the square cubbies has a metal door....guessing that would be your oven...put coal or small wood in the back to heat it up. Use a peel to load in your pot of beans, keep fire fed, end of day you have baked beans.

I think both these houses have the equivalent of something better than todays Wolf/Wiking appliances. Community ovens were a money maker back than, People would bring their beans/breads to a common bakery and pay for oven useage.

Last edited:
    Reactions: lash and Jonny_
    Check out the pics....if you see sloping brick leading up to the next feature above I believe that is the flue receding back behind the chimney above where it than opens to take the smoke from the chimney above.

In a picture of the Smith House one of the square cubbies has a metal door....guessing that would be your oven...put coal or small wood in the back to heat it up. Use a peel to load in your pot of beans, keep fire fed, end of day you have baked beans.

I think both these houses have the equivalent of something better than todays Wolf/Wiking appliances. Community ovens were a money maker bake than, People would bring their beans/breads to a common bakery and pay for oven useage.
    Yep, the little door on the Smith house was the one that prompted the question, I was guessing it would be more suited for lower temperature cooking but wasn't sure.

Your historical photo threads are fascinating; always interesting and spur learning more U.S history.