• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Parralax adjustments

Hykin_C

Private
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2009
Ontario, Canada
What exactly are the differences between a side focus parralax knob, and a rear focus style adjustment? Other than the fact that it would be more convenient to use the side focus knob while behind the rifle. And the fact that if you have flip open lense covers, it would move in relation to the rear focus style adjustment. Thanks!

Hykin,C

Re: Parralax adjustments

Hykin C,

If I understand your question correctly, you are referring to two completely different items. Parallax adjustment is found usually on the side of the scope or on the front(towards the barrel) of the scope.

The rear adjustment is not for parallax. The rear adjustment is the reticle focus. This allow you to adjust the reticle, so you can see the target and the reticle in focus at the same time. Once this is adjusted, you leave this alone, permanently.

I am not going to go into parallax or adjusting for it in depth, because there is a sticky on this very forum that discuss parallax and how to adjust it. I believe you will find it in Optics FAQs. But just a really quick definition of parallax, per NF Optics

"Parallax is the apparent movement of the reticle in relation to the target as the shooter moves his eye across the exit pupil of the rifle scope, caused by the target and the reticle being on different focal planes."

Therefore if you keep adjusting your reticle focus to account for parallax, you will not be hitting the target very well. Parallax is a distortion of view which is adjusted by adjusting a different focal point in the scope.

I noticed that you are new to the Hide, and that is awesome (so am I), and Welcome! I am not saying this to be negative or a dick, but I hope you will take it as a suggestion. You will get jumped on a lot if you don't look around and see things that are already posted.

If you have any questions after finding different posts, shoot them out for everyone.

As a suggestion, Lindy is a great resource. Lindy has written several big articles on the web, and it all adds up. I am not a Lindy groupy and I have never met him, but I have bought several books because of his recommendation (Applied ballistics for LR shooting, by Bryan Litz for one) and I have learned a ton. Shoot him a PM if more info is needed.

Good Luck and Welcome to the Hide,
Nate

Ok gottcha. I started this post because I was looking at getting the SWFA SS 10x42 with the rear focus adjustment (299.95), and the same scope but with the side focus style adjustment (399.95). Since I am a student and somewhat on a limited budget I think im gonna go with the first option, all things being equal other than where the focus adjustment is located. Thanks for the info Grimm. I also have the book by Bryan litz and am on my second time reading it....great info in that book!

Hykin,C

I've got one SS of each design. If you are LH the rear focus is easier to operate. Also, it is easier to use and keep your eye on the target. I like them both, however, and both side and rear are parallax adjustments on the SS.