• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Partial anodizing...can it be done?

Gunnersmate

Private
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2023
Albuquerque
80% lower milled out showing the bright aluminum area. Rest of lower is already finished to MILSPEC black.
Can just the exposed areas be anodized and not bother the factory finish?
I know about Aluma-Black and Aluma-Hide.
Thank you for any helpful info.

I only have a cursory knowledge of anodizing but I don't think what you're wanting to do is possible without altering the existing anodizing. The part could probably be stripped and anodized so it's all one consistent color but that could also create dimensional issues. Also, I'm not sure if most anodizing outfits would take a completed 80% lower unless it's been serialized, which kind of defeats the purpose.

If it was me I'd use Aluminum Black on the inside, oil it, install the FCG, and call it a day. Aluminum Black isn't durable but it shouldn't be seeing much wear and tear like it would on the outside of the receiver. For more durability, shoot it with Duracoat, let it cure, and then call it a day.

I only have a cursory knowledge of anodizing but I don't think what you're wanting to do is possible without altering the existing anodizing. The part could probably be stripped and anodized so it's all one consistent color but that could also create dimensional issues. Also, I'm not sure if most anodizing outfits would take a completed 80% lower unless it's been serialized, which kind of defeats the purpose.

If it was me I'd use Aluminum Black on the inside, oil it, install the FCG, and call it a day. Aluminum Black isn't durable but it shouldn't be seeing much wear and tear like it would on the outside of the receiver. For more durability, shoot it with Duracoat, let it cure, and then call it a day.
You are going to need to use a self-etching primer prior to Duracoat if that is the route you take. Use a black primer and you might be satisfied with just that.

as @Trigger Monkey got it spot on, ill echo him. Alu-black from birchwood casey, or jist air-cure cerakote (or similar) on a cotton tip and paint it on.

When you anodize, you need to chemically prepare the surface. The treatment will steip any existing finish, so you will ruin the type3..