• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Partial FL resizing newbie question

gknittel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2007
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Hello guys,

I'm trying to use my Forster FL resizer die to bump the shoulder just a bit.

This is the first time I attempt to do this and the first time using this die and I'm a little confused about what I see vs. what I read with the calipers.

See....

I pick a case fired from my rifle.

I measure the case several times and I get consistent reading: 1.5585" all the times as shown in this picture:
case1.jpg

I screw the die in the press and I put the case in the shellholder. I lower the handle and the case goes up. I screw the die until it touches the case. Right now I've a gap of about half an inch between shellholder and die and the die is already touching the case (I assume it's touching the walls). And it screws no more into the press with the case in the upper most position. Is this ok when partial FL resizing?

I get the case out of the die, and I screw a little bit and again the case travels into the die. The case seems to be being resized. But the die still didn't touch the neck. Since I felt the case being resized, I measure it again with my caliper and I get 1.5570" (still no signs of neck having been resized... but still, the case is shorter).
case2.jpg

I keep screwing the die a little at a time, and I measure the case each time and it stays at 1.5570". Still no signs of contact between neck and die.

I keep screwing the die until I see and feel the case is already getting into the neck portion inside the die.

I keep measuring and screwing the die a little at a time. When the die is almost touching the shellholder, I still have a portion of the neck that has no signs of having been resized:
case4.jpg

I measure and I get 1.5545":
case3.jpg

I still have a very small gap between die and shellholder. Maybe about 0.06".

The shoulder of the case shows no signs of contact with the die. However, the case already shrinked 0.004"

Is this working ok? What to you think?

Thanks alot!!

Re: Partial FL resizing newbie question

What is the normal distance that you have when you raise the ram. Does it touch the shell holder. Mine even when I raise the ram to set my dies up touches the shell holder. Changes when I am resizeing a case. Have you tried chambering the sized case in the rifle.
By the way by the looks of things, you are doing it correctly.

The round will chamber even if I don't resize the case. This is once fired brass. Still chambers easyly.

I was trying to figure out how to only resize the neck and touch the shoulder.

But it seems the die is not getting in contact with the shoulder.

And the case is already being resized too much.

And I still have part of the neck untouched by the die. If I screw the die just a little bit, it will resize the full neck, but it will even much more too much resizing. About 0.06".

Forster makes a die designed to do what you are trying to do. i actually just purchased it. its a bushing style neck sizing bump die. it sizes onky the neck, and allows the shoulder to be bumped back. i have a feeling that what you are trying to do cant be done with a full length sizing die. here is what you want:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=964694

You are doing it correctly. Make sure your dies are clean.