• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Passed up in '08, Shot in '09

xringdb

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2007
Nashville, Tennessee
I took the "through the scope" picture of this buck in '08. He was a young buck with a frame that showed potential. Passed him up a couple of times in '08.

Saw him again mid-season '09. He was not so lucky this year. Took the shot at 560 yards with an APA built 6.5 x 47 Lapua, 130 gr. Berger VLD.

IMG_0602-1.jpg

IMG_1233.jpg

Re: Passed up in '08, Shot in '09

Man that is a huge rack for a TN deer, 17" inside spread? Did you shoot him East or North of Nashville? I am familiar with a few areas that are terrain similar near your AO, and the grass looks typical for this time of the season.

If not shot in TN, where.

Again...Whew, big rack. Congrats!

Looks like Bellbuckle to Manchester, just curious...

Shot in KY, not too far out of TN. I don't see any in TN of this caliber. The three buck limit in TN keeps the age classes shot off. TN Wildlife Resources Agency is not interested in mature deer, just selling tags. I met with them in the 80's and they told me as much. 19" inside spread.

damn!!!!! wish central texas had deer like that that dont cost $$$$$$$ nice buck my friend!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shot in KY, not too far out of TN. I don't see any in TN of this caliber. The three buck limit in TN keeps the age classes shot off. TN Wildlife Resources Agency is not interested in mature deer, just selling tags. I met with them in the 80's and they told me as much. 19" inside spread. </div></div>

North of the border, makes sense, looks like the Karst region around Nashville and most of western KY. FWIW, I have seen some big deer down near the Southern border on farms along the TN River. But these monsters hole up on islands and don't come out to get shot.

19" Wow...

Oh yeah, TWRA does suck.

been looking at APA to build my first custom. which of their models did you go with? hows the 6.5x47 working for you? anyone ever used it on anything besides yotes and deer?

I'm shooting a 6.5 L from APA...123 scenars. How did that 130 berger do as far as terminals go at that range?

Thats a long shot on a big deer!!

Worked well. The coyote was shot at 350 yds. and there is a big exit hole on the other side you can't see. I took my niece out Thanksgiving morning and she shot a doe at 434 yds., broadside lung shot destroyed the lungs with an exit hole slightly smaller than a half dollar.

That's a NICE deer!!! I'll bet it was hard to pass him up last year...not many people would have. But, to have big deer you HAVE to let the little deer walk.

I couldn't have passed on that one... though I've passed on good bucks to get better. I've also passed on good bucks and gone without
frown.gif
My dad still gives me a hard time about one buck I passed.

That is an awesome buck! We don't have many whitetails that nice in my state.

Nice buck XRING. Now I know where all our(KY)big buck go. Home in the back of out of staters trucks! That through the scope pic from last year is awesome. Congrats.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zenitram nai</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can only dream. </div></div>

Can you be any more obvious?

Nice buck. What did it gross score? sick G2's, and nice overall tine length. Holding off a year sure paid off. Took a nice one myself in '06 in NW Okla. Mainframe 12 w/ 2 stickers on G2's, grossed 161. No where as nice as that rack though. Again, Nice Buck!

Must have missed this post last fall, what a great deer! An accurate rifle and a little practice sure opens up the possibilities.

That is a fine buck. Congrats on having the will to pass him and let him grow! I am not sure I could have done it. ha ha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skyking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sweet dear. I know a lot of guys that would pay BIG money for a deer like that. </div></div>

Please do tell! I have 10 140's to 170's on my wall and running out of room didn't think there was a market for anything besides records?